Austarlian travellers please help

nichl

Hi,

Heading over to USA in February for the King of the Hammers then on to the Rubicon trail and was seek some help from you guys for the best place to rent a jeep to tackle the Rubicon don't mind if its tag alone or self drive.
Also what would you guys recommend to get around at the hammers during the event are we better of renting a jeep for the event or are we able to walk we have an RV booked already for two weeks and are planning on staying for the week of this Hammers. Thanks in advance for your help its much appreciated Luke.

Thanks in advance for

Hi,

Heading over to USA in February for the King of the Hammers then on to the Rubicon trail and was seek some help from you guys for the best place to rent a jeep to tackle the Rubicon don't mind if its tag alone or self drive.
Also what would you guys recommend to get around at the hammers during the event are we better of renting a jeep for the event or are we able to walk we have an RV booked already for two weeks and are planning on staying for the week of this Hammers. Thanks in advance for your help its much appreciated Luke.

Thanks in advance for

Luke,

Rubicon in February might be a bit tough due to the snow. I would check to see if it will open. Also would recommend having someone knowledgeable go with on the Rubicon due to the chances to take a wrong turn.

Here is a link to California trails.
http://wayalife.com/showpost.php?p=122872

R/
Will

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Unfortunately, you will not be able to run the Rubicon in February as it will be under a ton of snow. It typically doesn't open up until about mid June. Sorry.

Thanks in advance for

You don't need a Jeep but, unless you're content to stay in Hammertown (which people do and there is a big screen to watch everything from), you'll want to have some kind of vehicle with higher ground clearance so that you can get out to some of the better viewing areas.

Augie

The Rubicon is not passable until May at the earliest. And in May, even if you in on Memorial Day weekend, (last weekend in May) you have a good chance of getting snowed on. In Feb you can't even get to the trailhead at Loon Lake unless your set up like an Icelander, giant balloon tires and gears. You may be able to come in the back way and get as far as observation point. Sorry for the bad news but I didn't want you to be miss leaded that the trail "May be closed". I'm going to say its 100 percent closed.

StrizzyChris

If you'll be renting a car on your trip might as well get a Jeep! But a warning...standard jeep tires, especially non BFGs, are tough in the soft sand of Johnson valley. They are narrow and sink right into the deep sand. People get stuck all the time in street tires on 4wd jeeps and trucks. I'm sure(depending on the size of your group) you can hitch a ride to chocolate thunder or back door, etc. with someone else on here. There's always a group formed and basecamp set up that you can join.

nichl

Thanks guys good to know will have to plan the rubicon for later in the year we'll have to spend more time in Vegas and checking out that great country of yours can't wait.

davidsonlaw

Thanks guys good to know will have to plan the rubicon for later in the year we'll have to spend more time in Vegas and checking out that great country of yours can't wait.

There's some good jeeping around Vegas, and that time of the year is a great time for it. Shoot me a PM if you want better details.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

Us Northern California guys would love to have you join us on the Rubicon next summer! We usually run it a few times a year!

sundaydriver

You could do Moab in Feb. You might get snow, you might not. But you can still do some good wheeling. Not sure about rentals that time of year. Just a suggestion. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom