TeraFlex Rear Speed Bump space between bump stops

jkjurny

I have a 3" lift and while inspecting the suspension, I noticed this for the first time. There is no space at all between the bumpstop and rear speed bump. Is this supposed to be that way? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377476623.890359.jpg

TheDuff

Those things look like they would be taller than a 3" bump stop when fully compressed :/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

jkjurny

Did you order and install the kit and bumpstops?

Sent from my iPhone on the west coast of florida

Kit was installed back in January. Found this picture which is the best one I got from after the install. Looks like I had about 2" of space. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1377479835.325436.jpg

I do have the back loaded up with 50lbs of gear. I'll try unloading it tomorrow and see how it looks...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Coils will settle over time and a loaded up Jeep will cause even more sagging. I had the same problem when I was running TF speed bumps. They made my ride terrible and eventually ripped apart my factory jounce stops. I finally decided to just get rid of them and was much happier without them.

Spartan

Don't get me wrong I like Teraflex, but I after a bunch or research. I would sell the Teraflax speed bumps, and get EVO Air Bumps. I haven't run either, but lots people seam to have problems with the speed bumps, and with Mel winning races all the time, and Teraflex not even racing(that I know of.). You can't really argue with the performance of the EVO Air bumps.

jkjurny

Don't get me wrong I like Teraflex, but I after a bunch or research. I would sell the Teraflax speed bumps, and get EVO Air Bumps. I haven't run either, but lots people seam to have problems with the speed bumps, and with Mel winning races all the time, and Teraflex not even racing(that I know of.). You can't really argue with the performance of the EVO Air bumps.

Yeah. Wish I had known a lot of things back in January. Will have to live with what I have for a bit. Might try what Eddie mentioned and remove the rear ones and replace with traditional bumpstop extensions and see how my ride feels.

Still have things like ball joints and chromoly axles to do first. Then I can spend money to redo the SpeedBumps.

2007 JKU

Banned
Kit was installed back in January. Found this picture which is the best one I got from after the install. Looks like I had about 2" of space. View attachment 46206

I do have the back loaded up with 50lbs of gear. I'll try unloading it tomorrow and see how it looks...

From the look of your shocks ...you don't have much droop....shocks IMO to long.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah. Wish I had known a lot of things back in January. Will have to live with what I have for a bit. Might try what Eddie mentioned and remove the rear ones and replace with traditional bumpstop extensions and see how my ride feels.

Still have things like ball joints and chromoly axles to do first. Then I can spend money to redo the SpeedBumps.

Like I said, I ran them for about a year and hated them. I let TeraFlex know about my problems and they sent me different jounce stops, new rear Speed Bumps of a different design but, nothing fixed the fact that they sucked. I eventually removed them and reinstalled my factory jounce stops and was much happier.

You ever see the TeraFlex video where they hit a bush at high speed and then wrecked their Jeep? Foam in a can is no replacement for real coil overs and air bumps.

From the look of your shocks ...you don't have much droop....shocks IMO to long.

To be clear, the shocks are actually too short as most of the shaft is exposed.

jkjurny

Like I said, I ran them for about a year and hated them. I let TeraFlex know about my problems and they sent me different jounce stops, new rear Speed Bumps of a different design but, nothing fixed the fact that they sucked. I eventually removed them and reinstalled my factory jounce stops and was much happier.

You ever see the TeraFlex video where they hit a bush at high speed and then wrecked their Jeep? Foam in a can is no replacement for real coil overs and air bumps.

To be clear, the shocks are actually too short as most of the shaft is exposed.

Haven't seen that video. Saw the one where something broke going up in Moab.

On the shocks, I'm thinking the springs just needed to settle (which is what is now contributing to the speedbumps having no room). Fox only sold shocks for 1.5 to 3.5" then jumped to 4" to 6" lift shocks. I went with their shorter shocks (not sure if that was the right thing to do).

BBrown626

Haven't seen that video. Saw the one where something broke going up in Moab.

On the shocks, I'm thinking the springs just needed to settle (which is what is now contributing to the speedbumps having no room). Fox only sold shocks for 1.5 to 3.5" then jumped to 4" to 6" lift shocks. I went with their shorter shocks (not sure if that was the right thing to do).

I have the TF 3" coils too. They settled only after adding bumpers and winch. I now sit right at 3" of lift. I cycled my suspension yesterday and determined the my shocks are shorter than needed as well. I found I could run a shock that is 17.5 compressed lenght using the 2.75" bump stop extensions and TF 3" springs. Of course the extended length depends on other things, but the Bilstein shock that is 16.96" compressed is for a 4" lift. Your better off cycling your system and determining what will work.

jkjurny

I have the TF 3" coils too. They settled only after adding bumpers and winch. I now sit right at 3" of lift. I cycled my suspension yesterday and determined the my shocks are shorter than needed as well. I found I could run a shock that is 17.5 compressed lenght using the 2.75" bump stop extensions and TF 3" springs. Of course the extended length depends on other things, but the Bilstein shock that is 16.96" compressed is for a 4" lift. Your better off cycling your system and determining what will work.

Thanks. After staring at my JK today, it settles pretty evenly and may have a very slight backward lean. Not sure if its because it is constantly parked facing uphill that maybe the springs have sagged more due to more weight sitting on the rear springs when parked. I've started to park facing downhill to see if that will even things out.

How'd you cycle your shocks? Just a jack on the opposite frame?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've got them and they are not bad at all...are they as good as Coilovers and air bumps ...:doh:

Well, like I always say, ride quality is 100% subjective. I ran them for about a year with their Elka shocks and couldn't stand them. Just running the Elkas by themselves provided a much better ride and running other standard coil/shock combination did even better. But of course, that's just my subjective opinion. :yup:

So, I contacted Teraflex, and they're sending me new coils.

You mean stiffer ones than what you already had? I mean sure, that'll probably help keep you off the Speed Bumps but, I don't know how that'll help your ride comfort.

jkjurny

You mean stiffer ones than what you already had? I mean sure, that'll probably help keep you off the Speed Bumps but, I don't know how that'll help your ride comfort.

They said that I may have gotten a weak set because I shouldn't have lost that much height after 8 months, so that probably translates into the ones they're sending are stiffer.

Top Bottom