Help Identifying a Location....West Coast Guys....

MTG

Caught the Bug
I am not sure, but if it's between Death Valley and Vegas, it is probably Big Dune in Amargosa valley.

snapfish

Dumont Dunes north of Baker, California.

Hey guys, I was wondering if you overlanders can help me out.....do any of you know specifically which sand dunes these are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6miuU8G7ufw

Scroll to the 6:00 minute mark.

For help with navigation, supposedly he starts out in Death Valley en route to Las Vegas.

Thanks for any help!
------------ --------------------------------- ----------------------------------

Hello ALL,
This area called "Dumont Dunes" and is located north of Baker city, California.

Dumont Dunes GPS Coordinates:

North Pole - 35° 41.20 N / 116° 10.61 W

Pay Station - 35° 41.65 N 116° 14.82W

River Crossing - 35° 41.75 N 116° 15.08 W

Little Dumont - 35° 38.93 N 116° 17.56 W

here is a good link with lots of info:

http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_guide_dumont_dunes.htm

happy trails... :)

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Thanks a bunch. I was told that they were the dunes inside Death Valley itself but after doing research, I saw that you can't drive on the Death Valley dunes, so I knew that wasn't it. Much appreciated!

snapfish

list of Death Valley closed dunes

Thanks a bunch. I was told that they were the dunes inside Death Valley itself but after doing research, I saw that you can't drive on the Death Valley dunes, so I knew that wasn't it. Much appreciated!

--------------------------------

You welcome NFRs2000NYC

what you have been told is correct.
The Death Valley Dunes (aka Stovepipe Wells Dunes) and many others are closed to off road activity.

Here is the list of the "closed Dunes"
http://www.duneguide.com/sand_dune_closed_dunes.htm

That is very valuable info and may save a jeeper a disappointing trip just to find that the area being visited is closed.

*******Note: thanks to the providers of "duneguide.com" , they have created a Google Earth kmz file download (link at end of page of the webpage listed above) ....

thanks,
snapfish

Skirmish

The first trail it fails on is Inyo Mine to Amargosa Valley. It's a fairly easy trail any stock JK can run. The Eye of the Needle is a distinct landmark and that little cliff climb is the only real obstacle. Never done the dunes though.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
That Evoque is pretty cool though.

It is, but the brand new range rover sport is really impressive. Sure it's not a wrangler, but IMHO, it is very impressive for a luxo barge suv. The top gear test of that was awesome. The sonar system IMHO is incredible.

jkjurny

It is, but the brand new range rover sport is really impressive. Sure it's not a wrangler, but IMHO, it is very impressive for a luxo barge suv. The top gear test of that was awesome. The sonar system IMHO is incredible.

Yeah, the sonar and cameras are amazing innovations! But you probably have to buy the $75,000 version to get that feature.

If I can afford it, I'd get one. I bet it can handle any rated 4/5 trails or less in the trail books.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yeah, the sonar and cameras are amazing innovations! But you probably have to buy the $75,000 version to get that feature.

If I can afford it, I'd get one. I bet it can handle any rated 4/5 trails or less in the trail books.

To go OT a little bit....first of all, I don't think I'd ever dunk a 100K vehicle into the drink, unless the vehicle was specifically built for it (ie a JK.) Furthermore, offroading, especially long distance offroading (overlanding :cheesy: ) means that sometimes, your life might literally hang in the vehicle's "hands" and I'll be damned if I trust my life to a Range Rovers that runs on 60 computers. The only two vehicles (maybe more, but can't think of any) that I would trust my life with are the Toyota Land Cruiser and the JK.

jkjurny

To go OT a little bit....first of all, I don't think I'd ever dunk a 100K vehicle into the drink, unless the vehicle was specifically built for it (ie a JK.) Furthermore, offroading, especially long distance offroading (overlanding :cheesy: ) means that sometimes, your life might literally hang in the vehicle's "hands" and I'll be damned if I trust my life to a Range Rovers that runs on 60 computers. The only two vehicles (maybe more, but can't think of any) that I would trust my life with are the Toyota Land Cruiser and the JK.

I'd have my wife drive the Evoque while I follow in my JK :)

Top Bottom