Heat wrapped headers, good or bad?

Chairokey

My buddy wants to heat wrap his headers on his TJ and he read that you shouldn't.. You should buy ceramic headers. Anyone know why heat wrap could be bad?

Rollincoal420

I wrapped a banks header once. Had other issues that created allot of heat and cracked that header in 5 places. After that, I learned to ceramic coast over that wrap.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Zstairlessone

Less heat loss under hood - good (lower under hood temps)

Less heat loss - better exhaust gas velocity, good for clearing engine for next fresh charge of combustibles

Issues are - heat wrap can cause early corrosion of manifold (probably have to replace every 3-4 years - or more often depending on where you live), but ceramic coating that you paint on yourself isn't very effective. The ceramic coating that is applied by a plasma spray process works pretty good and will stop (well greatly minimize) rusting of the manifold. Problem is this last option = big bucks!

GCM 2

Where do you get ceramic coating?

Well, there are a few large companies that do it and are really the industry standard, Jet Hot Coat is one of them. Fortunately for me one of the facilities is located 20 minutes from me. I have used both the wraps and sprays on a few race cars I have run and the spray coating, although a little more expensive, is much less maintenance intensive. Jet Hot Coat can actually apply colors to the coating, much like anodizing, and I had my headers/collectors/side-pipes coated with an ceramic aluminized color.

http://www.jet-hot.com/

Attachments

• image-3281742108.jpg
    image-3281742108.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Top Bottom