Utah Back Country Rds and a Stop in Moab

jkjeepit

We were in Salt Lake and did part of the Utah Backcountry discovery route to Moab, Utah Backcountry Discovery Route (UTBDR)
While we were in Utah, last week, we had lots of rain and on the drive to moab we found lots of mud..
Basically we took the Alpine Loop to Heber City.
from Heber city we took HWY 40 towards Duschene, just after Fruitland, this is where the backcounty discovery route come in, we took Red Creek Rd south towards the Strawberry Pinnacles. Then Timber Canyon RD, this can be a hard turn to find... and this can get REALLY slippery when wet, this is where we found the MUD.. our Jeep did pretty good but there were several miles of road that was just mud/ruts where you really don't want to stop.. at one point a deer jumped out in front of us and the wife said to stop and I said no way he'll move because we might not get started again... he jumped off the road and run into the woods... we then took Reservation Ridge RD, this area was lot drier, which is a good thing because it starts climbing to 9800ft and if it were slippery we probably would have turned around... no room for error and sliding off the road would more then likely mean rolling off down the mtn.. the road does have more rock here but still use caution if wet! Reservation Ridge RD turns into Indian Head RD, to HWY 191.. HWY to Moab.. it was a great way to get to Moab.. took us 8hrs to go the 3 1/2 hrs.... but hey isn't that what it's all about... the,, it's a Jeep thing..

Paved Jeep Trail, they call it the Alpine Loop..

Red Creek Rd, south towards the Strawberry Pinnacles.

corral off Timber Canyon Rd.

Muddy rd... muddy then it looks...

this was the first dry/rocky area we had for several miles of grinding through the mud so we stopped to take a break and the wife had to catch her heart as it jumped out several miles before... it was raining clumps of mud at one point... :cheesy:

Reservation Ridge RD, the road was much dryer,,,

Indian Head Rd.. even dryer..

we spent one day in Moab on our way home.. this makes our 4th Jeep trip to Moab but the first with the CG JKU... we did Top of the World... this trail was funner then I thought it would be, I had read that there would be some ledges/steps and some rocks but there were a lot more then I had thought.,, at one point you hit a Y (that forms the loop from the top), if you want the more difficult route go right.... the book rates it as difficult.. I rate it has a hard medium at most... the cliffs was a 5 of 5 which I didn't agree with, the only cliff is the photo op which is of course totally optional... A stock Jeep would make it with some scrapping on the bottom and good route finding... I of course didn't take the easy lines... It's a great trail and a Great View...

start is passing the old Dewey Bridge..

Rock Flexing..

Top of the World photo op...

other direction... Top of the World.. don't see as many of these...

and adding to our Trail signs photos...

Top Bottom