Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Don't even TRY to wheel without..."

Quote Originally Posted by Chairokey View Post
    Wow thanks guys, this makes me feel much more confident. the first weekend I had my Jeep I went to the lake and played around on what little bit of terrain was there. the Jeep being bone stock, I decided to drive down this ~ 1 foot rock step. As my back tires came down i heard the sound of metal on rock and cringed! after watching your video's I realized this isn't rare lol!! the sound was my transfer case hitting the rock.. while I know this isn't good for the transfer case, is it necessarily horrible? or does that happen quite frequently?
    the noises you'll hear under your jeep is totally normal and really, the sound of your skids doing their job. you'll get used to it in no time at all.

Been Around the Block Chairokey's Avatar
    Woops, totally meant to say my rear differential lol, not transfer case :p

But anyway, thanks everyone. Time to go to sleep. Heading to work in a few hours to try and scrape together some money for new toys lol, cheers

Yup I agree, skids and protection are what you need. That is what I am doing the first thing that I bought on my jeep was a skid plate next is rocker guards and a winch.

Quote Originally Posted by JKRay
    Yup I agree, skids and protection are what you need. That is what I am doing the first thing that I bought on my jeep was a skid plate next is rocker guards and a winch.
    Like everyone else, I'll say sliders are your first priority. Also, since you probably only have the street tires, I would look into at least getting some decent all-terrain tires if your not ready for "mud tires" yet. Heard good things about the Goodyear Duratracs for both road manners and Offroad ability. If you keep your wheeling light, tires will help keep you from getting stuck.
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:
    2013 JKU Rubicon, 4" Evo Double D Long Arm Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, 37" Nitto TGs on 17" Spyderlocks, J.E. Reel 1350 Front DS, LoD sliders, EVO 1/4 Pounder w/ Stinger, EVO Rockskins and Tire Carrier.

Previous Rig:
    2010 JKU Mountain Edition, 35" Wrangler MT/R Kevlar's, 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System w/ Fox Shocks, 5.13 G2 gears, Spyderlock beadlocks, Coast 1310 FDS, EVO C2 kit and drag link flip kit, LoD sliders, Trektop NX.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime8

Like everyone else, I'll say sliders are your first priority. Also, since you probably only have the street tires, I would look into at least getting some decent all-terrain tires if your not ready for "mud tires" yet. Heard good things about the Goodyear Duratracs for both road manners and Offroad ability. If you keep your wheeling light, tires will help keep you from getting stuck.
    I should have mentioned that I have upgraded to an all terrain tire already. It was the first thing I did because I was sliding around on dirt roads lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chairokey

I should have mentioned that I have upgraded to an all terrain tire already. It was the first thing I did because I was sliding around on dirt roads lol
    Haha, see! You're not totally new to the jeep life!
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:
    2013 JKU Rubicon, 4" Evo Double D Long Arm Lift w/ Bilstein 5100's, 37" Nitto TGs on 17" Spyderlocks, J.E. Reel 1350 Front DS, LoD sliders, EVO 1/4 Pounder w/ Stinger, EVO Rockskins and Tire Carrier.

Previous Rig:
    2010 JKU Mountain Edition, 35" Wrangler MT/R Kevlar's, 3.5" Rock Krawler Flex System w/ Fox Shocks, 5.13 G2 gears, Spyderlock beadlocks, Coast 1310 FDS, EVO C2 kit and drag link flip kit, LoD sliders, Trektop NX.

When people mention always having a friend along with you, preferably in another vehicle, keep in mind that this gives you potential for using them as a spotter. If you trust them with the keys, let them drive and spot for them. This will give you the chance to see what the Jeep is doing and how much clearance you have at different times.

Getting ready for our third JK and one thing I've learned is that I'd rather upgrade my bumpers BEFORE I've bashed them up. Brand new take-offs might sell for $100-300, depending on the local demand and desperation/ignorance of your buyer. Once crushed, they only have value if you can stubby them.

Quote Originally Posted by ichthus
    When people mention always having a friend along with you, preferably in another vehicle, keep in mind that this gives you potential for using them as a spotter. If you trust them with the keys, let them drive and spot for them. This will give you the chance to see what the Jeep is doing and how much clearance you have at different times.

Getting ready for our third JK and one thing I've learned is that I'd rather upgrade my bumpers BEFORE I've bashed them up. Brand new take-offs might sell for $100-300, depending on the local demand and desperation/ignorance of your buyer. Once crushed, they only have value if you can stubby them.
    Plus, something I learned real quick, is that a 3.5" lift with 35" tires will rub the front bumper when articulating. And when I say "rub", I actually mean "chew up". I have chunks of shoulder tread missing on my tires. Look behind your front bumper. At the inside bottom of the plastic part, you'll see a sharp, pointy piece of steel sticking out. It is literally sharp enough to cut your finger on and it is hardened steel, so it will eat into rubber quickly and easily. If you can't replace your bumper, just trim these back. For every great engineering design Jeep has developed over the years, you still seem to get oversights like this and the rear pinch seam that make you wonder if anyone at Jeep really wheels a wrangler...
    Epic Addictions!

New Rig:

Previous Rig:

Quote Originally Posted by Prime8 View Post
    Plus, something I learned real quick, is that a 3.5" lift with 35" tires will rub the front bumper when articulating. And when I say "rub", I actually mean "chew up". I have chunks of shoulder tread missing on my tires. Look behind your front bumper. At the inside bottom of the plastic part, you'll see a sharp, pointy piece of steel sticking out. It is literally sharp enough to cut your finger on and it is hardened steel, so it will eat into rubber quickly and easily. If you can't replace your bumper, just trim these back. For every great engineering design Jeep has developed over the years, you still seem to get oversights like this and the rear pinch seam that make you wonder if anyone at Jeep really wheels a wrangler...
    I'm glad you said that because that is exactly what I have planned. 3.5" lift with 35's! i would have been pretty disappointed if my bumper took tread off my tires!

Caught the Bug
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    the noises you'll hear under your jeep is totally normal and really, the sound of your skids doing their job. you'll get used to it in no time at all.
    Every time my wife hears the skids doing their job I get "be careful, don't hurt my Jeep." But she loves putting her RUbi through it's paces.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast