Buying a jeep in nevada but live in CA

rdf_orion

Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing a new jeep from a dealer that is located in nevada, but I live in california. Do you have to go through any special process to bring it into California? I have never looked at purchasing a car out of state, but have heared that it will need to be smogged (I am unsure if this applies to a new vehicle purchased from a dealer though). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ( also I am not looking to avoid paying taxes where they are due, I just want to make sure I am prepared to follow through with the deal).

rdf_orion

Thats what im affraid of, but hoping otherwise haha. I feel like my local dealer would be unwilling to do a trade from nevada, a few years ago I found a vehicle that was a similar distance away but they told me they couldnt find it within a distance they were willing to trade.

LoPo

Caught the Bug
Your dealer will know what to do..you may end up paying registration and taxes 2x's...

Here in Nevada you pay registration post purchase at the DMV, but you'd likely still pay taxes twice.

My family has bought cars out of CA and worked with the dealer to drive it over the border. One specific scenario, my dad bought from a Roseville, CA dealer. If he took delivery in free america(Nevada), he avoided CA taxes. The dealer agreed, drove it to the border, signed paperwork, etc. done deal. I'm not sure if you can work a similar deal going the opposite direction or not. Best to talk through the options with the dealer in Nevada and then maybe a local dealer to have the Jeep traded to them.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
I did the reverse almost a year ago for my wife's car. Had to pay 6 months registration in CA and pay CA sales tax. When I went to register it in Nevada, I did NOT have to repay the sales tax. They calculate the difference in tax (if any) between the selling county where you paid and the county of registration in Nevada. If there is a difference you pay it...if you paid too much when you purchased you do not get a credit. I didn't pay double registration because my wife just drove with CA plates for the six months, then we registered in Nevada.

I believe Nevada still has temporary permits (15 day permits). If so, you will likely pay Nevada sales tax and pay for the temp permit. Then when you register in CA I suspect you will need smog, full registration, and you will have to pay any difference in sales tax that exists.

I'd check with the CA DMV as well as the Nevada dealer to confirm.

Army_Vet

Banned
Hey guys, I am looking at purchasing a new jeep from a dealer that is located in nevada, but I live in california. Do you have to go through any special process to bring it into California? I have never looked at purchasing a car out of state, but have heared that it will need to be smogged (I am unsure if this applies to a new vehicle purchased from a dealer though). Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ( also I am not looking to avoid paying taxes where they are due, I just want to make sure I am prepared to follow through with the deal).

I did this once.... I hope you got the cash for the taxes. I did this once when I lived out there; would not bother doing it again. I didn't enjoy the hassle. Wasn't a huge hassle; but still. Not worth it to me

rdf_orion

Thank you guys for the responses they are good ideas. I just got off the phone with the dealer (they put me on with a regular sales rep) and he said that I would end up paying the tax when I registered it in california. He also said that the smog regulations for CA should be the same sense the car was direct from the manufacturer. I do not know how reliable his information was though, it was like pulling teeth trying to get him to give more than a one word answer.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Thank you guys for the responses they are good ideas. I just got off the phone with the dealer (they put me on with a regular sales rep) and he said that I would end up paying the tax when I registered it in california. He also said that the smog regulations for CA should be the same sense the car was direct from the manufacturer. I do not know how reliable his information was though, it was like pulling teeth trying to get him to give more than a one word answer.

I wouldn't trust the Nevada dealer to tell you what happens in CA. Check with the CA DMV for registration requirements for out of state vehicle purchases. http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

I do not believe the Nevada dealer can lawfully sell you a vehicle in Nevada without charging you sales tax.

rdf_orion

I agree I mean it seemed a little strange especially as unwilling as he was to answer questions. Im glad I have you guys to help me out! It seems like a sticky situation, I wish some local dealers or even CA dealers had what I was looking for haha.

You would think a dealer thats looking at potentially selling 2 jeeps would have put a little more effort into it. I showed my dad the 10th anniversary jeep and he wants to upgrade from his 08 jku sahara.

Army_Vet

Banned
I agree I mean it seemed a little strange especially as unwilling as he was to answer questions. Im glad I have you guys to help me out! It seems like a sticky situation, I wish some local dealers or even CA dealers had what I was looking for haha.

You would think a dealer thats looking at potentially selling 2 jeeps would have put a little more effort into it. I showed my dad the 10th anniversary jeep and he wants to upgrade from his 08 jku sahara.

The only reason I would even do it again, is if the price was much better that it made it worth it. But I doubt that is the case. What is the main reason you want to do it.

rdf_orion

The main reason I want to do it is because they have two 10th anniversary additions that my father and I both like at a decent price so we figured as long as there arent too many complications we would give it a shot. There are a few in CA still but most of them are black (I have a black dually and dont want to deal with washing another black vehicle), I found a white one that I like but im not 100% sure I want a manual.

If it doesnt play out well im going to get a non special edition rubicon. I figure with the build I want to do it will take me a while to save up the money, and the looks of the 10th anniversary are enough to keep me satisfied (not give me too much jeep envy everytime I see a modded one) while stashing away enough money to modify it.

rdf_orion

Army vet- when you did it previously, did you pay taxes at the dealer and just split the difference between the two counties if there was any?

I also checked CA dmv they said that it would be comparable to someone moving to california, and says to check the requirements for getting it smoged, it says nonresidents still need to get a smog test even if its not 6 years or older.

Army_Vet

Banned
Army vet- when you did it previously, did you pay taxes at the dealer and just split the difference between the two counties if there was any?

I also checked CA dmv they said that it would be comparable to someone moving to california, and says to check the requirements for getting it smoged, it says nonresidents still need to get a smog test even if its not 6 years or older.

Smog will be fine, emissions will be the same as if bought in CA, the same rules will apply once it is registered in CA, if its new then im sure it will be good.
You will pay no taxes in NV, but you will pay All the sales tax at once when you register it in CA. NV has a short temp registration so you will be fine to drive it home.

MTG

Caught the Bug
If you are financing the deal you can finance the total "out the door" price, including taxes. If you have to pay California taxes when you go home you will not have that option. Not sure if that will matter to you or not. :idontknow:

I thought you didn't have to smog a new car in California for several years after purchase? :thinking:

I've purchased a new car where we just had the vehicle shipped to the different dealer and completed the transacion there. I'm not sure whether Jeep dealers do this. If so, it would be easier for the dealer to work out the logistics.

Army_Vet

Banned
If you are financing the deal you can finance the total "out the door" price, including taxes. If you have to pay California taxes when you go home you will not have that option. Not sure if that will matter to you or not. :idontknow:

I thought you didn't have to smog a new car in California for several years after purchase? :thinking:

I've purchased a new car where we just had the vehicle shipped to the different dealer and completed the transacion there. I'm not sure whether Jeep dealers do this. If so, it would be easier for the dealer to work out the logistics.

MTG has a point, work out a deal on price with a local CA dealer, have them ship in the two Rubies from NV.
Complete the deal in CA, everything can be financed at once.

As far as the smog in CA, I dont know what the rule is now, but once these two are registered in CA they will fall into this rule whatever it is.

As a side note, my current Jeep was bought in PA, but the dealer did a Dealer Search and found it in VA, they had it shipped in and we did all the paperwork as it was there all the time. Good Luck

rdf_orion

I have dealt with my local dealer before and they were rather unwilling to do a dealer trade to get a vehicle unless it was close to them. You guys might have a point in trying to get a dealer to get them here. I have a few dealers near by so ill go and see which one would like to earn the business. Ill probably end up financing mine, the second one probably not.

On the smog part I thought the same thing but on the website its a little unclear, but I found a section in there that said "if your vehicle is 6 years old or newer, you will be charged an annual smog abatement fee when you register your vehicle, rather than being required to provide smog certification.
Exceptions: the six-year-or-newer rule doesnt apply to nonresident and custom built cars." There was nothing that really addressed a car being purchased in another state while you are already a resident of that state. The only thing I really saw on the website said it would be treated as someone moving to california. As always DMV is extremely clear and helpful... :rolleyes:

I guess my next step will be going to find a local dealer that will be willing to work something out! Once again guys I appreciate all the information you guys have given and helped with.

If I manage to get them transfered or end up going out to purchase them I will post some pictures on here!

Army_Vet

Banned
I guess my next step will be going to find a local dealer that will be willing to work something out! Once again guys I appreciate all the information you guys have given and helped with.

If I manage to get them transfered or end up going out to purchase them I will post some pictures on here!

I would definitely go to another dealer.... and when you do, let them know you are not against driving to NV to get the price you want! this is important to get the dealer to match the price. The down side is if the call your bluff... then I guess your stuck with the drive.

When I got mine, I walked out of two dealers at the end of heated discussions over price..... the funny part is, they both called me back to make the deal with in the same day. but to bad for them i was on my way to the dealer where i got mine, and they were the first ones to "listen to me" instead of doing the car salesman shtick!

Last edited:

rdf_orion

I would definitely go to another dealer.... and when you do, let them know you are not against driving to NV to get the price you want! this is important to get the dealer to match the price. The down side is if the call your bluff... then I guess your stuck with the drive.

When I got mine, I walked out of two dealers at the end of heated discussions over price..... the funny part is, they both called me back to make the deal with in the same day. but to bad for them i was on my way to the dealer where i got mine, and they were the first ones to "listen to me" instead of doing the car salesman shtick!

Thats definitely going to have to be my plan of attack. It would be a lot more convenient but honestly there are a ton of jeep dealers around me now that I think about it im sure ill find one willing to make something happen. I guess itll come down to who is wants to earn the business haha.

You definitely did that one right my friend! The run around from car salesman is a pain in the ass, but worth it in the end! I need to get on this and find the right place haha.

Top Bottom