Best car seat for a jeep owner

JandSJK

Ok parents out there. My friend just had a baby and thinks he wont get to do any jeeping for a long time. Our group of jeep friends are going to try and all pitch in and get him a good seat for the jeep that he can use to keep the little on safe till she just needs a booster or what ever. I'm not a parent so i have no clue about car seats. any suggestions would be most helpful.

As a parent my recommendation would be to avoid taking the infant on a trail unitl at least 6 months old. This allows them to develop the neck muscles to keep their heads up preventing them from whipping around. Once the baby is about 9 months old I would look into getting a convertable car seat which is basically a 3 in 1. It can be installed as rear facing and then to a forward facing to a booster seat. I used this style for my son until he was just too big to fit. He was in an infant seat until 6 months because he was huge, almost 25 lbs. Now he is 4.5 years old and weighs about 70 lbs and almost 50 inches tall.

Condensed version wait until 9 mos old until going offroad and then use a 3 in 1 car seat. I used the Eddie Bauer 3 in 1.

Hope this helps.

R/
Will

Fridge81

Simpson racing makes awesome car seats for the off road enthusiast.
My sister had one for my nephew when he was just a little guy and he survived.

Sent from some trail, somewhere.

Woody3

JandJ,

I am a certified child safety seat technician. I strongly urge you to encourage your friend to find out where his local tech works and have his seat properly installed. It's a free service and a tech will show him and his significant other the proper way to install the seat, and give him some very useful information.

I once was one if those parents who thought I knew how to put a seat in. (Captain safety here)

In my opinion, I think Britax car seats are the best. They lead the industry in safety research and development.

Just my two cents.

Keep your head low and your powder dry.

Hobolobo

JandJ,

I am a certified child safety seat technician. I strongly urge you to encourage your friend to find out where his local tech works and have his seat properly installed. It's a free service and a tech will show him and his significant other the proper way to install the seat, and give him some very useful information.

I once was one if those parents who thought I knew how to put a seat in. (Captain safety here)

In my opinion, I think Britax car seats are the best. They lead the industry in safety research and development.

Just my two cents.

How would one go about finding out where their local tech is? I too have a little one on the way and this sounds like a good idea.

Woody3

You can call your local highway patrol office or go to safekids.org. There will be a link so you can find your closest technician.

jkjurny

I recommend the Diono car seats. If your friend wants more kids, you can fit 3 of the in the rear bench of the JKU.

Only downside is that when they're mounted backwards, you'll need to keep your seat pretty upright. When you can have them facing forward, they are excellent, giving good leg room for the kids.

I would not recommend the Britax line for a JK. I have those in our minivan, and they are just too big for the JKU.

HDGasser

I have a Britax, very expensive but if its gonna keep my boy safe in an accident I don't care how much it was.

It's a lil big for the JKU but works out great for now, I've started looking for some a little less bulky.

Prime8

We have a large "throne" that my son sits in that is so comfortable that he has fallen asleep while wheeling. I wouldn't take him out till he is two-ish though. They are big and robust enough by then that they can adequately control their head all day and can take being bounced around all day. My other son, who is 4 months, won't be wheeling till he is two-ish. I'd say a good rule is don't take them out till they are big enough to be in a forward facing seat. Bouncing on your butt all day is no biggie, but bouncing on your back all day would be unpleasant, even in an otherwise comfortable seat.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Kids are too soft these days...

All you need is a couple of phone books and 5 point safety harness. 'nuff said. :rock:

Kidding of course, we use Britax for our kids. Two of them fit fine. :thumb:

JKbrick

The cage ratchets down to the hitch platform just fine, and the exhaust keeps them quiet all day long

All you need is a couple of phone books and 5 point safety harness. 'nuff said. :rock:

Kidding of course, we use Britax for our kids. Two of them fit fine. :thumb:

It is not the kids it the thought of going to jail for child endagerment. I remember growing up and the only seat belt was mom's arm stretched out.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Britax fan here. If they're good enough for Overlander's GF to ride in, they are good enough for me.

Seriously though, between our three kids we went through plenty different sizes and styles. Always loved Britax.

StrizzyChris

The cage ratchets down to the hitch platform just fine, and the exhaust keeps them quiet all day long

:cheesy:

I remember growing up.....

<the scene> Snowy winter evening, just after dusk, in a 1967 chevy el camino. Father in the driver's seat smoking a pack of Marlboro's like it was oxygen. Mother in the passenger seat with my older brother on her lap. Myself, being the youngest and smallest, sitting on the center console. All windows rolled up because the heater sucked and it was cold as hell outside. That shifter knob was my "oh shit handle" and man did I get my ass chewed out if I grabbed ahold of it to steady my balance around a fast turn. All the while coughing because the air was as thick as cotton <end scene>

Conman

My old man used to bolt my plastic car seat into the back of the old land cruiser. We would do wheeling trips all the time with no top. All the pictures I have seen I am asleep. Got to love the 70's!

JandSJK

Thanks for all the help. I'm sure being new parents in the sissified world we live in the poor girl will have to wait quite a while before her first Jeep trip. Might be different though. She's only 4 days old and she already has a jeep.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

Ok, I don't remember when the pediatrician said it was ok, but we took our daughter up in the snow way before whatever that was.... This was an easy family run, and we were cautious of bumps, but I wanted to show you the "race collar" we got for her to help stabilize her head. Still would check with pediatrician, but the neck brace made me feel better.

And we use britax carseats ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378535923.410798.jpg

We have another baby due in three weeks so we will get to do this all again!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom