Not happy with JK.

metaldemon

I am looking for a YJ to replace the '12 JK I bought new last year. I just can't see it being as good a vehicle with all the electronics that came on the Sport. The cruise a ready stopped working, maybe from lack of use. I really can't take it back to the dealer I bought it from because they are mod unfriendly. It just is never going to be as long lived as my '98 XJ. If I can find a YJ in good shape I'll most likely get rid of it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
X2 I would look for another dealer. And if you want another JK get one with the bare minimum on it. Keep it simple. That's the way mine in. Only upgrade was A/C and an auto tranny cause I can't drive stick to well

Sent from my iPhone

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I am looking for a YJ to replace the '12 JK I bought new last year. I just can't see it being as good a vehicle with all the electronics that came on the Sport. The cruise a ready stopped working, maybe from lack of use. I really can't take it back to the dealer I bought it from because they are mod unfriendly. It just is never going to be as long lived as my '98 XJ. If I can find a YJ in good shape I'll most likely get rid of it.

You want to get rid of your JK because the cruise control doesn't work? Is there more to it? Take it to a mod friendly dealer as get that puppy fixed.

Evilidea

I just got rid of my YJ to get a '12 JK, couldn't be happier. If you really want to downgrade get a TJ not a YJ or even an LJ. Personally I say find a better dealer because my almost stockish Call of Duty wheels so much better than my built up ZJ or my YJ.

Shadow's_Jeep

Caught the Bug
X2 I would look for another dealer. And if you want another JK get one with the bare minimum on it. Keep it simple. That's the way mine in. Only upgrade was A/C and an auto tranny cause I can't drive stick to well

Sent from my iPhone

Only upgrade on my JKU was A/C.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

PunknGladiator

I love seeing the JK's with leather and nav and all the luxuries the Grand Cherokee has because then you can tell one of two things: They either don't wheel it and just like the looks of it (most have the hard top, tire shine etc) or their wife made them do it.

Only thing my JK has is A/C and a radio and I wouldn't want it other way. Adding all the stuff just means more will break in the water, mud, rollovers, rocks etc

Ldogg

My 08 JK rubicon came with nav, AC, cruise, power windows/locks and a hard top. It wheels just fine. :) I like some creature comforts and don't use cruise control unless I am driving 80 up i25 to Denver in my wife's 11' explorer. I agree I would look a better dealership. Luck for us out here, one is an AEV authorized shop and the other has their own 4x4 shop. They mod stock jeeps and sell them. Is your jeep modded? Is the cruise control the only issue?

If you don't like drive-by-wire and/or you are scared of technology you shouldn't buy ANY new vehicle. Personally I love it.

If you think you are avoiding technology by ordering your vehicle with less options you are mistaken. Even a bare-bones Jeep is completely computer controlled. Again, personally I love the added features in today's Jeeps and have many of them. To draw a comparison to how someone wheels their Jeep and the options in it is absolutely asinine!

Then again, selling a Jeep because one thing stopped working is asinine too. I understand the disappointment when something breaks or goes wrong, but seriously... we all need to face the fact that while our Jeeps are awesome; they really aren't free from issues. This is the case with almost EVERY generation. They all have little nuances, some annoying, some bad, and some that are great. If you aren't willing to deal with these nuances then perhaps it's time to buy a Honda.

Just my :twocents:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you think you are avoiding technology by ordering your vehicle with less options you are mistaken. Even a bare-bones Jeep is completely computer controlled. Again, personally I love the added features in today's Jeeps and have many of them. To draw a comparison to how someone wheels their Jeep and the options in it is absolutely asinine!

you can never "avoid" technology but you can limit it. thats what i ment by going with the bare esentials.

its the creature comforts you avoid (i.e. a/c, nav, power windows, etc etc). the main computer basics will be the same from the sport all the way to the rubicon reguardless.

and in reguards to comparing how wheeling a jeep based off of options is asinine i would have to disagree with you. if you wheel a stock rubi and a fully loaded sport/sahara the rubi will win everytime (as you know). obviously because it has lockers and sway bar disco making terrain easier to traverse. outside of that then yea its stupid to compare options

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I love seeing the JK's with leather and nav and all the luxuries the Grand Cherokee has because then you can tell one of two things: They either don't wheel it and just like the looks of it (most have the hard top, tire shine etc) or their wife made them do it.

I know a whole group of people on the JKX and on the forum that would disagree with the above statement if your generalizing about JKs. :yup: just sayin..

Only thing my JK has is A/C and a radio and I wouldn't want it other way. Adding all the stuff just means more will break in the water, mud, rollovers, rocks etc

You do know you can buy a "stock" JK that doesn't have all the electronic gadgets, and if you plan on rolling it and putting it through deep water (enough to ruin the electronics) then why didn't you just buy a beater CJ or YJ to begin with and mod it out? It honestly almost sounds as thought you were pressured into buying it. :idontknow:

Maybe you could find a YJ at a dealer and trade in the JK for the YJ. Or trade someone the JK for their YJ ;)

Aeraun

you can never "avoid" technology but you can limit it. thats what i ment by going with the bare esentials.

its the creature comforts you avoid (i.e. a/c, nav, power windows, etc etc). the main computer basics will be the same from the sport all the way to the rubicon reguardless.

and in reguards to comparing how wheeling a jeep based off of options is asinine i would have to disagree with you. if you wheel a stock rubi and a fully loaded sport/sahara the rubi will win everytime (as you know). obviously because it has lockers and sway bar disco making terrain easier to traverse. outside of that then yea its stupid to compare options

With the comparing how one wheels a Jeep based off the options I think he meant, and the post he was responding too that having more options mean more and more that the owner of the vehicle wheels less and less, not how capable the vehicle is, which I 100% agree that you can't go by that like the 1st post said. I have a "12 JKU Altitude edition which has a shit ton of stuff that everyone here would call pointless and I love it. Its pretty much fully loaded with all the goods and its off the Sahara platform. This is my first Jeep and I've gone wheeling twice now to Rausch Creek and having all my goodies in no way hindered what I did offroad nor does it mean I only mall crawl. I can understand only wanting The basics, and I have never had another Jeep, but all the interior improvements they made made me want a Jeep more especially as its my daily driver. To have heated leather seats and a hardtop for winter is great and the soft top in the summer while on the trails is great too. I think the OP should bust some skulls for having problems with his JK but I don't think having technology or not dictates how much you are into wheeling. All personal preference

PunknGladiator

I know a whole group of people on the JKX and on the forum that would disagree with the above statement if your generalizing about JKs. :yup: just sayin..

You do know you can buy a "stock" JK that doesn't have all the electronic gadgets, and if you plan on rolling it and putting it through deep water (enough to ruin the electronics) then why didn't you just buy a beater CJ or YJ to begin with and mod it out? It honestly almost sounds as thought you were pressured into buying it. :idontknow:

Maybe you could find a YJ at a dealer and trade in the JK for the YJ. Or trade someone the JK for their YJ ;)

Obviously I know you can get a bare JK, I have one lol. I don't think it's fair to compare the JKX guys to the normal population that I'm talking about. Where I live at least you see a TON of the decked our Wranglers, and they are really nice but it's obvious that they aren't bought to be played with, unless the soccer mom is getting out to the trails and mud while the sitter has the kids. I guess I should have specified my generalization with the normal population, not the wayalife population.

How does it seem like I was pressured into getting mine? I already had the YJ beater and decided it was time for something a little nicer

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't think having technology or not dictates how much you are into wheeling. All personal preference

oh no i totally agree with this. for some its all comes down to money and what you can afford at the time and others choose to be that way.

PunknGladiator

With the comparing how one wheels a Jeep based off the options I think he meant, and the post he was responding too that having more options mean more and more that the owner of the vehicle wheels less and less, not how capable the vehicle is, which I 100% agree that you can't go by that like the 1st post said. I have a "12 JKU Altitude edition which has a shit ton of stuff that everyone here would call pointless and I love it. Its pretty much fully loaded with all the goods and its off the Sahara platform. This is my first Jeep and I've gone wheeling twice now to Rausch Creek and having all my goodies in no way hindered what I did offroad nor does it mean I only mall crawl. I can understand only wanting The basics, and I have never had another Jeep, but all the interior improvements they made made me want a Jeep more especially as its my daily driver. To have heated leather seats and a hardtop for winter is great and the soft top in the summer while on the trails is great too. I think the OP should bust some skulls for having problems with his JK but I don't think having technology or not dictates how much you are into wheeling. All personal preference

I think alot of it is based on where you live. I'm in Florida and 90% of the Wranglers with the nice comforts are driven by moms and people that just like the looks with no intentions of wheeling. I can see it be considerably different in different parts of the country because I've heard it actually gets cold in some places and that just sounds silly because then you need heated seats and hard tops and stuff lol. Whichever way you want to take it my comment made alot more waves than I thought it would lol

MTG

Caught the Bug
My heated leather seats in Knuckles got a little dusty...do you think I should sell it or trade it in? :idontknow:

:cheesy:

I love the fact that there are a metric shit ton of soccer moms driving these things and never wheel them. About 3 years before my kids are old enough to drive, I'll hopefully pick up a couple of used stockers on the cheap and we'll build them a jeep. :thumb:

Aeraun

I think alot of it is based on where you live. I'm in Florida and 90% of the Wranglers with the nice comforts are driven by moms and people that just like the looks with no intentions of wheeling. I can see it be considerably different in different parts of the country because I've heard it actually gets cold in some places and that just sounds silly because then you need heated seats and hard tops and stuff lol. Whichever way you want to take it my comment made alot more waves than I thought it would lol

No worries, I'm in Staten Island, NY and believe me I know what youre talking about when it comes to people owning Jeeps and not truly "using" them. It was definitely the way you worded your comment though lol just cuz I know there's quite a few Jeepers who want/have all the goodies and wheel just as hard as anyone. But remember, its also about the market. Jeep is capitalizing on a demographic of the population they didn't reach before, which contains both people who wheel and those who don't. Like I admitted before, the latest improvements over the past couple of years really got me into Jeeps. Hell, I honestly didn't even give them a chance really until the 4 doors came out

I wasn't really referring to the options that directly impact off-road capability. I was referring to the comments about the comfort related ones... But as I read the post to get caught up I think we are on the same page ;)

I love the Avatar Pic BTW. That's the competition area at RC isn't it? :rock:

Top Bottom