Need some serious immediate help

Conquest jeep

Hey guys, so while driving on the beach my 2008 jk stopped moving. Now none of the gears work. The 4 wheel drive shift just moves freely. Any quick fixes to get off the beach?

Conquest jeep

Let me also add I'm not very mechanically inclined so any ideas if you could be as detailed as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Army_Vet

Banned
Hey guys, so while driving on the beach my 2008 jk stopped moving. Now none of the gears work. The 4 wheel drive shift just moves freely. Any quick fixes to get off the beach?

Do you have an Automatic?

If you do check the fluid, Losing all your fluid will stop a jeep in its tracks

And by "freely" do you mean normally? or with no resistance, like its not connected to anything?

mrmet1983

check fluids and pull up ur center console and gear shifter look underneath see if it came loose or got dissconected

JeepFan

Hooked
Sounds like the plastic bushing that holds the T-Case shift cable to the T-Case linkage broke. If you have wire ties, you can rig the cable to stay on the lever until you get a new bushing. Secure your Jeep from rolling and look at the cable on the T-case while someone moves the shifter back and forth. If the bushing is broken, you will see the cable moving freely. If you don't see any movement, the bushing is probably broken at the shifter under the center console.

Last edited:

Robar

The Enforcer
Sounds like the plastic bushing that holds the T-Case shift cable to the T-Case linkage broke. If you have wire ties, you can rig the cable to stay on the lever until you get a new bushing. Secure your Jeep from rolling and look at the cable on the T-case while someone moves the shifter back and forth. If the bushing is broken, you will see the cable moving freely. If you don't see any movement, the bushing is probably broken at the shifter under the center console.
Ding ding ding. This is probably your problem.

Conquest jeep

Yup looked under and the cable was loose. I can't get it to reconnect though and when I push it forward for 2 wheel drive still won't get into gear. Any suggestions? Or am I sol?

Conquest jeep

That's what happened. Any suggestions to fix it? I can't get it to reach where it needs to go.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Transfer case cable linkage? Either broke at the TC or in the console. Probably at the TC. It's a pain but you can get it into 4wd or 2wd manually from underneath the jeep. If you have zip ties you can connect it back up.

AESTHESIS

Try to move what the cable moves? Push with or pull with something (jack handle, umbrella). Im blind here but- just gotta engage a gear. Dont get stuck in 4 on the pavement.

Aesthesis

JeepFan

Hooked
That's what happened. Any suggestions to fix it? I can't get it to reach where it needs to go.

You should be able to line up the eyelet of the cable with the lever as someone moves the shifter. You can use a wire tie or mechanics wire to hold it in place until you can get it fixed with a new bushing. The other option is to possibly hold the cable on the lever by hand and have someone move the shifter into 2WD. I'm pretty sure it will stay there long enough to get off the trail. Your mileage may vary however.

JKbrick

And when you get the new bushing buy quite a few and keep them in a pill bottle in the glovebox for next time it happens to you or someone else on the trail

Panda

This happend to me first time I engaged 4wd I was able to crawl under jeep & push the lever on the transfer case toward the back wheels with a tool & clicked into gear

Prime

Just pop up the console feel for the lever and cable it will feel like a big circle slid the big circle onto the lever and push it forward. You be back into 2wd. Mine broke a longtime ago I just bought some washers and a a pin to hold the washers back to the cable on the lever.

RUMMY

Do both the 241 transfer case and 231 case have same set up ? I'm just thinking that if its the same design on my 2013 jkur I need to get a few and keep with me .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Evilidea

Im still confused why his TCase isnt engaged in whatever he was in (2H/4H) etc when it broke. I understand that changing position is down due to break but why isn't the tcase in gear at all? Should be able to manually switch Tcase into gear and go.

Top Bottom