Prototype GoPro boom

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Pretty awesome and got my gears grinding of ideas of my own after seeing some awesome angles you were able to get! Thanks for sharing!

Skirmish

I need to find a smoother caster or an alternative. That was really the weak point as most have some play over the bearings and don't give you a smooth shot. You need an extension of about 1' from your mount to the pivot point so you can clear stuff and get the angle to keep the boom out of the frame. The counterweight was a bunch of fender washers on some threaded rod but I think I'll try sand or maybe lead weight so it isn't as bulky. The balance worked pretty well, I did bounce the camera off my taillight a bit but when it was on the side it stayed floating. It would be more practical if it were a little closer but you would have a hard time getting a shot all the way around the rig. A JKU would be hard to cover.

I have a lot more video left unedited. I don't have pics of the mount but I'll post the final movie and when I have the boom working better I'll write it up.

Skirmish

Got a phot of the rig in action. Also remeasured and I'm a little over 7' of boom with almost 3' of counter in that setup. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1378766599.093489.jpg

Last edited:

JAGS

Hooked
I need to find a smoother caster or an alternative. That was really the weak point as most have some play over the bearings and don't give you a smooth shot. You need an extension of about 1' from your mount to the pivot point so you can clear stuff and get the angle to keep the boom out of the frame. The counterweight was a bunch of fender washers on some threaded rod but I think I'll try sand or maybe lead weight so it isn't as bulky. The balance worked pretty well, I did bounce the camera off my taillight a bit but when it was on the side it stayed floating. It would be more practical if it were a little closer but you would have a hard time getting a shot all the way around the rig. A JKU would be hard to cover.

I have a lot more video left unedited. I don't have pics of the mount but I'll post the final movie and when I have the boom working better I'll write it up.

Obviously a lot of thought has already gone in to this. The teaser vid shows real promise as I think I mentioned in an earlier post. :thumb:

Was just thinking to myself after seeing the setup pic. :thinking: Couldn't you also mount another GoPro on the weighted side facing the opposite direction. Then you'd constantly have multiple angles of the same shot. Would maybe need to also add a bit a weight given the extension, but might be something to play with once you get everything else dialed in. I just got my first GoPro (H3S), so still need to unbox and figure out how to turn it on. :crazyeyes:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Couldn't you also mount another GoPro on the weighted side facing the opposite direction. Then you'd constantly have multiple angles of the same shot. Would maybe need to also add a bit a weight given the extension, but might be something to play with once you get everything else dialed in.

there was a video on the go pro app of a guy doing some white water kyaking with a set up just like this. he had i mounted on his helmet and got multiple angles like you said

Top Bottom