I done fucked up

Napalm90

Ok I did and oil change an forgot to screw in the oil filter all the way and oil is now all over the engine bay.... I hosed it off the best I can I believe I now gotta do another. Has anyone ever done this before or am I the only one.....? Any tips I what else I should do to clean this all up.....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Let your engine cool to the point where it's luke warm but not cold. Spray simple green over the engine, let it sit for a few minutes and then, using a very low stream of water, hose it out. Be careful when spraying around the TIPM and other electrical components as well as the air box. That should get the bulk of it. Let it dry and repeat if needed.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I was going to recommend descented (I think it's diesel fuel without the skunk) engine degreaser. It's cheaper than Simple Green but not nearly as enviornmentally friendly. Two votes Simple Green.:yup:

Napalm90

Let your engine cool to the point where it's luke warm but not cold. Spray simple green over the engine, let it sit for a few minutes and then, using a very low stream of water, hose it out. Be careful when spraying around the TIPM and other electrical components as well as the air box. That should get the bulk of it. Let it dry and repeat if needed.

Thanks for the quick response. Any other product besides simple green? Can't find that at the store behind my house....

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the quick response. Any other product besides simple green? Can't find that at the store behind my house....

As Linebacker noted, there are other products and even better ones you can use that you can get from a parts store but, not as friendly or as mild on your engine.

Landman

You can definitely find it at your local auto parts store... works great!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

BlackKnight

In the past I've pulled into a drive in stall in the car wash, and set the sprayer to the tire cleaner (yellowish green) and after a douse, with the engine running had someone hit the power soap for a minute, then rinse, never letting the soap or tire cleaner dry. Just make sure to be careful with the "tire" cleaner as it can damage paint/wax/clear-coat...

Bob

PS> Note this was not on a Jeep, but my Scion xB. Shouldn't make a difference, and in fact I would expect the Jeep to have a better time with the water spray.

Last edited:

Napalm90

Thanks for all the help guys, going to get more oil and simple green and a fire extiguisher( finally) now. Question , any risk of a fire happening at all?

Army_Vet

Banned
Hell I did one better than that.... I managed to pour all 6 qt of old oil in the trunk of mine... I wouldn't feel so bad if I were you. These things happen all the time. Even to those of us who do this type of thing for a living.

jarho00

I will do a one upper, I decided to change the engine oil and transfer case oil Andy the same time , with good ole Royal Purple. You know the cheap stuff . Well I changed the engine oil and moved on to the transfer case only to find I was a quart short on transfer fluid, but for some unknown reason had an extra quart of engine oil. Yes you guessed it. Hundred dollars down the drain. Drain plug that is.

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tackerdown

Banned
I will do a one upper, I decided to change the engine oil and transfer case oil Andy the same time , with good ole Royal Purple. You know the cheap stuff . Well I changed the engine oil and moved on to the transfer case only to find I was a quart short on transfer fluid, but for some unknown reason had an extra quart of engine oil. Yes you guessed it. Hundred dollars down the drain. Drain plug that is.

Man that sucks. But funny at the same time.

Sent from my SPH-L720

Napalm90

LOL thats pretty bad lol

yorkxj

Or to all the guys out there that didn't think to look if the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter, threaded on the new filter, then started it up to have the oil spray everywhere. Had it happen once, never again, I always look now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile applo

Army_Vet

Banned
Or to all the guys out there that didn't think to look if the old oil filter gasket came off with the filter, threaded on the new filter, then started it up to have the oil spray everywhere. Had it happen once, never again, I always look now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile applo

HAHAHAHAHHAHAH! I was going to say that too, but i didn't do it on a jeep. I did it on a Freightliner, OMG there was a gallon on the floor before I could shut it off!

jeeeep

Hooked
well...I didn't do this but a couple of friends of mine decided they needed to add some antifreeze because the overflow was empty...after pouring 2 gallons in they saw no change in the fluid level.
They decided to go to a gas station for help and only got about a block before their Jeep came to a screeching halt...they don't run well on antifreeze :doh:

Top Bottom