Which Winch?

Bweezy

Winch Question

I am looking for a winch that won't break the bank but is capable of getting my Unlimited JK unstuck if I need it to. I have never used one and don't really know what to look for. Any help would be great! Thanks!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There are a lot of cheap Chinese made winches out there that are all pretty much the same thing, only stickered up with different names. A lot of people who never really use their winches will swear by them but, it only takes needing it once to really appreciate the reliability of a WARN. For your purposes, you will only need a basic 8000 winch and, while the WARN will cost a bit more, I personally feel it's worth it.

TheDuff

Just keep in mind, u get what u pay for. U may also find yourself needing the winch in a situation where if the winch was to fail, it could lead to severe damage to the jeep, or worse. People get injured or even killed by line failures ect. So think of that kinda of stuff when u are shopping.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Firewrangler

Ok....I've asked once before, but now I got the $$$$ in my hand. Have $500 to put towards a winch. It will be going on my Poison Spyder BFH with trail stinger that I just ordered. I know WARN is the shiznit, but is it enough of the shiznit to outway get something from Quadratec. Was thinking about the Q9500i or Q9500is which has synthetic line. I guess my main question is about the term "integrated solenoid" vs "remote solenoid". Is integrated better? I would probably have to go with VR8000 or maybe VR10000 if I go Warn. This thing probably won't get lots of use, but as I saw Eddie say.....I want it to work when I need it to! Y'alls thiughts?:twocents:

Ldogg

10s here. It's bad ass, and yeah it was more expensive but I like the look and well it's Warn quality. I wanted a synthetic rope just because of weight and the fact that they have no kinetic energy transfer if they break, at least that's what I read. It's also my first winch and honestly I don't like buying things twice.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1379449477.241261.jpg

Last edited:
High jacking here. ;)

I too am looking for a winch. Will be purchasing one this friday. I want the Powerplant HD. I need the air compressor too. I have never used the air off the powerplant but have seen it in person and was very impressed. I don't mind investing 1700 for a new piece. I need to know if the air compressor is worth it on that unit? I'm going to guess that the winch is great. Am I better off purchasing another top of the line Warn and purchasing a separate air unit? Ok, so this is what I'm thinking.

Option 1: Powerplant HD
Option 2: Zeon 12 and arb dual air

seanb123

High jacking here. ;)

I too am looking for a winch. Will be purchasing one this friday. I want the Powerplant HD. I need the air compressor too. I have never used the air off the powerplant but have seen it in person and was very impressed. I don't mind investing 1700 for a new piece. I need to know if the air compressor is worth it on that unit? I'm going to guess that the winch is great. Am I better off purchasing another top of the line Warn and purchasing a separate air unit? Ok, so this is what I'm thinking.

Option 1: Powerplant HD
Option 2: Zeon 12 and arb dual air

Both options will leave you more that happy. I'd go with option 2 so when it comes down to it you don't have to fork out extra cash to run air lockers. That's just me though also more air to the radiator but that's debatable if that's even relevant

Raceplayhavefun

I'm a Warn fan. I wheel a lot, with a lot of different people and rigs. You can't beat the Warn winches. My favorite value is the M8000 with a contactor, but the VR8000 is cheaper and pretty darn good!

In5ane1

There are a lot of cheap Chinese made winches out there that are all pretty much the same thing, only stickered up with different names. A lot of people who never really use their winches will swear by them but, it only takes needing it once to really appreciate the reliability of a WARN. For your purposes, you will only need a basic 8000 winch and, while the WARN will cost a bit more, I personally feel it's worth it.

An 8000 lb winch is sufficient for a jk unlimited...even if buried in mud?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
It is if you know how to use a snatch block.

I watched a great video a few years back where somebody was buried to the frame and without anything substantial to anchor off of the were still about to get out through the use of snatch blocks. It was pretty cool. Ill have to see if I can find it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I watched a great video a few years back where somebody was buried to the frame and without anything substantial to anchor off of the were still about to get out through the use of snatch blocks. It was pretty cool. Ill have to see if I can find it.

It's amazing what you can do with just a pulley or two.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend a 10000-12000 pound winch for a JKU

Based on what? I run a 9500 power plant and it's been all that I need. I should note that I run heavy ProRock 60's and really heavy 40x15.50 mud grapplers on ATX slabs too - I'm easily 1k lbs heavier than a factory Jku.

JeepJKpwr

Really, I guess I stand corrected then. I'm solely going by what I've been told from people in the off road industry and from what I've read online...my bad

Skirmish

The Superwinch website has some really good info on calculating force needed in different situations. A snatch block (pulley) will double your pull (while cutting speed in half). The other consideration, however, is how many wraps you have around the drum. The closer you are to the stuck vehicle the faster the pull but you lose power. With a single wrap at the end of your winch length you gain full power but will pull slower. Unless you are picking the vehicle off the ground you rarely pull the full weight of it.

David1tontj

I have had an 8000 pound winch on every one of my 4x4s. It has pulled me out, up, over, and through just about anything... And I use it frequently. I carry a snatch block, but don't think I've ever even needed to use it because of a lack of pulling power. I think people way under estimate what 8000 pounds of force is!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom