Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which Winch?

Out here I end up winching all sorts....from fat bloated LR's to Raptors all way heavier than JK's
    I have a Zeon 10s and it works well for all situations.....I would go for it

Here's a link to the Superwinch stuff I was referring to. After the "Start Here" there are a bunch of PDF downloads with really good info. The vehicle recovery guide has the math part for recovery in different terrain.

http://www.superwinch.com/k/choose-t...he+Right+Winch

Banned
    I've been told and have read that you need to make sure if you buy a cheep one that it is sealed to prevent water damage. My one cent.

Sent from my SPH-L720

Quote Originally Posted by JeepJKpwr View Post
    Really, I guess I stand corrected then. I'm solely going by what I've been told from people in the off road industry and from what I've read online...my bad
    In all fairness, the general guideline is to get a winch that has a capacity that is roughly double your vehicles weight. For a JKU that weighs about 5,000 lbs., a 10,000 winch would fit the bill. Having said that, most people will never be in a situation where pushing the capacity to the limit is needed and, even if it is, the right tools and knowhow will make all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    In all fairness, the general guideline is to get a winch that has a capacity that is roughly double your vehicles weight. For a JKU that weighs about 5,000 lbs., a 10,000 winch would fit the bill. Having said that, most people will never be in a situation where pushing the capacity to the limit is needed and, even if it is, the right tools and knowhow will make all the difference.
    Now you tell me. I have EVO working on a custom front bumper we've dubbed the "1/4 ton'er" to hold this 40,000 lb mooring winch. Do you think it will impact airflow to my radiator?

Winch.JPG
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
    Now you tell me. I have EVO working on a custom front bumper we've dubbed the "1/4 ton'er" to hold this 40,000 lb mooring winch. Do you think it will impact airflow to my radiator?

Winch.JPG

Banned

Winch.JPG
    LOL I think if the bumper is engineered correctly you may get enough air to pass on the right side. Either that or mount it inside the Jeep with a pulley system routed under the jeep

Been Around the Block

Winch.JPG
    Is there a writeup to fit this inside the stock bumper?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Just was wondering if its worth the time using a snatch block as opposed to paying a little more for more power. I have no experience at recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by In5ane1 View Post
    Just was wondering if its worth the time using a snatch block as opposed to paying a little more for more power. I have no experience at recovery.

What I can tell you is that the vast majority of people who own a winch will never use it to do more than light recovery and never come close to needing the full extent of their winch's power. If you're at a point where you need to use a snatch block, chances are, you would have needed one with a winch that has a bit more capacity too. If you're on a budget, an 8,000 winch will get the job done. If you can afford it, a good 9,000-9,500 winch is what I would recommend - I can't speak for anyone else and I'm sure they are way more badass than me but, for my purposes, it's been all that I've needed. If you can afford it or want to spend more, a 10,000-12,000 winch won't hinder you in the least other than to your wallet.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast