Does anyone here have a 14 bolt/dana 60 swap on a JK

Jiffy05

I have been searching the internets to see if anyone has done a 14 bolt/dana 60 swap and so far my searches have shown 1 person with a JK that has done this. I was wondering if anyone else has done that swap. It seems like most people here like to go with dynatrac and I'm sure that is a very good swap but why not go with a 14 bolt/dana 60 swap to save money. If anyone has any info on this topic I would greatly appreciate it.

TrailBear

The hard part is getting the wheel speed sensors on all four corners to work right, I have seen it done on tv shows but it's a lot of messing around to get it right, and if its not the jeep will not work right.

CRAZYCASEY

It can be done, but it is not easy. I tried to do a sterling/ 60 combo out of a 2004 f350 but I could not get the sterling to fit with out stretching the rear at least a couple of inches. Wound up using the front 60 and having a 60 built for the rear. Abs and all works but it defiantly was not easy and if you can't do it all yourself forget about it saving you any $$$$.

Rippin Lipz

There are quite a few people running a 60/14 swap. The problem is for it to save you money you have to be pretty handy with cutting and welding......I'm not. I would have to pay someone to do the swap for me and would end up paying almost the same for new Dana 60's. So if you have the ability then go for it! I will likely be going with new crate axles.

Google Dana 60 Bible. There are you will find what axles you need to look for. From my research there is only two years which will work with out much modification 78 and 79 Ford front Dana 60. Since there is a small year window the junkyards know this and jack the prices up. $2000 for the axle and then you have to rebuild it and the price starts adding up. There is a chart on which tells about this. Also you can find kits and trusses which can be welded on.

Jiffy05

Thanks for all the replies. I have been doing a lot of research on it and I have seen that you should get a Dana 60 from a 78-79 f350. I have the ability to do the work and have friends that are willing to help with it. I was originally planning on doing the swap with my tj but plans have changed and when I am done with school this spring and get a job I want to get a 4 door.

David1tontj

I did the sterling/60 swap on my Tj, did everything myself, and yes, prices added up fast. Lockers, gears, bearings, seals, oil, brackets, steering, diff covers....... And on and on.. Still worth it for me, but not as easy as I originally thought. I have a friend with a Tj who did the 14/60 swap, but I never got to hear how well it all went or how much it cost him. I don't personally know anyone with this done to a JK. And I haven't convinced my brother to go 1 ton with his JK yet!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

JeepJKpwr

There's a guy on CL selling a JK with 60's...not sure why he would be selling it other than it didn't work in his favor or he has no money left to gas it up

sent from carrier pigeon

Jiffy05

I did the sterling/60 swap on my Tj, did everything myself, and yes, prices added up fast. Lockers, gears, bearings, seals, oil, brackets, steering, diff covers....... And on and on.. Still worth it for me, but not as easy as I originally thought. I have a friend with a Tj who did the 14/60 swap, but I never got to hear how well it all went or how much it cost him. I don't personally know anyone with this done to a JK. And I haven't convinced my brother to go 1 ton with his JK yet!

Right now I have the 14 bolt and am still working on getting the 60. I just cant see spending tons of money on axles like dynatrac when I feel 14/60 combo is a very good setup. I know that the 14 bolt wont have the clearance but at the same time it wont cost as much to build it up. I was looking at all the work needed to do the swap on my TJ and it is a very big project where I really didn't want to do it with the TJ because of how small it is and all the fab work that would need to be done to get it to work.

dahreno

Banned
I am in the middle of a 14 / 60 swap right now but it's in an old Jeep that doesn't care about the wheel sensors.I recently read in one of my 4 wheel mags. a build up of said combo. verses Dynatrac axles.By the time they totally built the axles to close to the same degree the dynatrac axles were built , the price was not much less for the 14 / 60 combo.But the Dynatrac still had heavier duty parts .Luckily my axles were in great shape . I paid 1200 bucks for them . I still had to cut off all brackets , weld on new ones and install lockers.There is a company that makes a conversion for the 14 bolt that you cut off the bottom of the center section and weld on a flat plate and change the cover . It's called a 15 bolt .They say it almost gives you the clearance of a d44 .

Jiffy05

I have seen a lot of shaved 14 bolts that do give 2-3 inches more of clearance. Most of those are on buggies or trailer queens that won't see much road time. I am not looking into a shave because I still want to be able to drive it to and from where I want to go. I will have to look into prices more on the build and compare it to the dynatrac. I was looking at the prices of Rock Jock front axles and those are over $7k and I know the prorock 60 is even more.

David1tontj

I have seen a lot of shaved 14 bolts that do give 2-3 inches more of clearance. Most of those are on buggies or trailer queens that won't see much road time. I am not looking into a shave because I still want to be able to drive it to and from where I want to go. I will have to look into prices more on the build and compare it to the dynatrac. I was looking at the prices of Rock Jock front axles and those are over $7k and I know the prorock 60 is even more.

I'm confused.. If you so a shave kit you can't drive it on the street?? That doesn't make sense. Why can't you?

Jiffy05

I'm confused.. If you so a shave kit you can't drive it on the street?? That doesn't make sense. Why can't you?

I could be wrong but from what I have read is that people say heat will build up in them if you were to do an extreme shave on it. I am sure you can still drive it on the street if you do shave them but I would be worried about it going long distances. A lot of the info I have found about this topic I have read on pirate4x4. Like I say I could be 100% wrong about that. I am just trying to get a good sense of what a 14/60 swap will be like on a JK. I feel other than the getting the Christmas tree to turn off after the swap it really shouldn't be all that hard to get the axles under a 4 door.

David1tontj

^ I say just go for it!! That's what I did and things worked out. Good to know about the shave kit, I drive mine on very long trips regularly, and I'm usually doing it solo until I meet up with my brother in cali

Top Bottom