3.6L problems..

Cjacks95

Banned
Okay so I have a 2012 with the 3.6. I've been having so many problems lately its been bugging me. I mean the motors gone through hell, upside down once and hydro locked once, I have a the heads done on it cleared all the water only ran upside down for like 3 seconds but its constantly dying (mainly early in the morning) it just bogs down to about 200 RPM then the engine will flutter or it'll die. It's been burning a lot of oil. I switched to 20w-50 thinking it would help but it didn't. And it has a high pitch wine that is Transmission oriented (shifts with and gets louder as RPMs climb)

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
Colby

Cjacks95

Banned
Perfect time for a HEMI or LS swap

I don't think I need that much power but I'd like too just depends on the price difference between the stock motor and the Hemi. A buddy of mine has the 6.4 he's trying to sell me. Do I need to get a new trans? Out of a charger I think

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's what I was assuming:( I gotta get the pricing on one probably pretty expensive tho. Any idea on the price?

Sorry, don't know for sure but I can't imagine it being any less than $5k + install. Still cheaper and easier than an engine swap.

Perfect time for a HEMI or LS swap

I don't think I need that much power but I'd like too just depends on the price difference between the stock motor and the Hemi. A buddy of mine has the 6.4 he's trying to sell me. Do I need to get a new trans? Out of a charger I think

I personally would recommend doing an LS swap over a HEMI if you're going to go this route. Cheaper overall, better fit, more power, etc.

Cjacks95

Banned
Sorry, don't know for sure but I can't imagine it being any less than $5k + install. Still cheaper and easier than an engine swap.

I personally would recommend doing an LS swap over a HEMI if you're going to go this route. Cheaper overall, better fit, more power, etc.

How much work is it? Like motor trans computer etc...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much did all that run?

It depends on if you can find a good used motor or if you install a crate motor. Either way, it's not cheap and it'll still be more than just replacing your 3.6L. We have some pricing listed in our thread.

Cjacks95

Banned
It depends on if you can find a good used motor or if you install a crate motor. Either way, it's not cheap and it'll still be more than just replacing your 3.6L. We have some pricing listed in our thread.

Okay I'll have to look at that in a little bit. Thank you

crowrb29

Not to thread hijack but has the 3.6 been pretty solid after they fixed the cylinder issue? My check engine light jeeps coming on and they just keep clearing it out. Comes on at pretty much week intervals. Hoping this time when I take it in they will actually fix it. The code is 0306.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not to thread hijack but has the 3.6 been pretty solid after they fixed the cylinder issue? My check engine light jeeps coming on and they just keep clearing it out. Comes on at pretty much week intervals. Hoping this time when I take it in they will actually fix it. The code is 0306.

I got the same code and the dealership is telling me that I have a leak at the connector just past the loop. They cannot say for sure if this is the cause but, they said that anything 18" from an O2 sensor can cause this. Of course, they then tried to sell me on a new cat. I asked if they did a pressure test and they didn't. :rolleyes2:

Please let me know if you ever find the fix.

crowrb29

I got the same code and the dealership is telling me that I have a leak at the connector just past the loop. They cannot say for sure if this is the cause but, they said that anything 18" from an O2 sensor can cause this. Of course, they then tried to sell me on a new cat. I asked if they did a pressure test and they didn't. :rolleyes2:

Please let me know if you ever find the fix.

Does rubicat run sorta funny when the light is on? It's weird like my rig gets all shaky when the lights on but if I delete the code it's fine. It definitely didn't feel normal at all today though. I'll keep you updated. Sucks... I was gonna go wheel on Saturday and now I have to be a passenger.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Does rubicat run sorta funny when the light is on? It's weird like my rig gets all shaky when the lights on but if I delete the code it's fine. It definitely didn't feel normal at all today though. I'll keep you updated. Sucks... I was gonna go wheel on Saturday and now I have to be a passenger.

Not sure I can say that it runs funny but, I suppose it is possible. I would still run it.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ya know, I spoke to soon and without really thinking about what code you are getting. The 0306 is what we were having when we were having cyl 6 misfire issues. We ultimately needed to get a new head.

Serg5000

I may be wrong. But don't you have to have a certain amount of miles on your jeep before your allowed per state emissions to swap your engine for another make or model?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I may be wrong. But don't you have to have a certain amount of miles on your jeep before your allowed per state emissions to swap your engine for another make or model?

Nope, you are right but, here in CA, you don't have to get your first smog until 5 years in. Assuming you can put on enough miles, you should be okay.

crowrb29

Ya know, I spoke to soon and without really thinking about what code you are getting. The 0306 is what we were having when we were having cyl 6 misfire issues. We ultimately needed to get a new head.

Has the new head given you any issues or did it eliminate the 0306 issue? I guess I'm really sorta paranoid about the longevity of this engine considering this happened at 6000 miles

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Has the new head given you any issues or did it eliminate the 0306 issue? I guess I'm really sorta paranoid about the longevity of this engine considering this happened at 6000 miles

The new head fixed the 0306 issue but, I still have cooling issues. Nothing too bad now that we've re-geared but, they are still there. From what I understand, newer heads allow for better cooling and people who've gotten them don't even have this issue.

Top Bottom