Engine Light: Electronic Throttle Control light (ETC)

JK's JK

Banned
Hi Guys,

Yesterday backing out of my garage, I let the Jeep idol for a good 5 minutes. All of the sudden the engine started to sputter and it felt like the pistons started to miss fire. The dash light came on Electronic Throttle Control light and then I shut the engine off. When I started the Jeep back up, the light was off and the Jeep was running fine. Then when I was leaving the MEET AND GREET last night, letting the Jeep idol again. It started with the same symptoms all over again.

Throttle_Control_Bolt.jpg

Obviously the error light is called Electronic Throttle Control light. Is it a dirty throttle body? Dirty sensor? Have you guys run into this problem?

Thank you guys,

Jesse

JK's JK

Banned
Here is some information that I found.

All,

More than anything I just wanted to put some information out there so others that beat their head against the wall trying to figure this out might find this thread.

A few months ago I swapped out engines, as mine shot craps. With that said...thing would run great, but idled a bit high. After a few minutes if it was left at idle, lightening bolt light would come on....sputtered and stopped running. If I was driving normally...It would never happen. Only when left at idle for a few minutes.

After a few times of this...the ECM finally threw out some codes.

P0507 and P2173

Then the research began. Both, from internet reading...suggested there was a vaccuum leak somewhere. Looked and looked...couldn't find it. Rubber lines were fine...so it continued.

Yesterday, I heard a hissing. When I tracked it down, I understood why I couldn't find it. It was the metal EGR tube. It had a very small crack in it...beneath the heat shield cover. I only found it because I was looking at it while the engine was still cold. I could stick my hand on it. Every other time, the engine had been running and that tube gets hot...not a chance I had touched it before.

Soo...long story short. I bit of metal heat tape and the codes went away, idle is back down to normal and life is good. Short term fix till I can find another tube. Hope this helps someone down the road avoid the headbutting of the nearest wall. Cheers mates !

pastorwug

I don't have a code reader yet!!!! Trying to do some research on the issue. Sounds like it could be throttle body or vacuum leak.

Several parts stores around here will loan you one, perhaps there as well. I always keep one with me, just in case, so I wish I had known about this last night, sorry bro.

JK's JK

Banned
I did find a hose that was not installed when I installed my Airaid......Well I put that back on and back out my Jeep. Sure enough it came back!!!

JK's JK

Banned
Do you guys have any experience in this problem? I did a over all search in the forum and seems no one has posted this problem.

JK's JK

Banned
So today I got the Jeep out again and listened to it when running. Right away I hear air beating underneath the jeep. Sure enough I see right at the mechanical joint that I used to install the Dynamax exhaust water dripping out. So right where it y's the first joint and the joint that goes into the exhaust has clear water dripping out. I'm thinking it's causing pre-mature back pressure issues. I'm going to head down tomorrow and see about getting it welded up. Hope this is the issue!!!! :thinking:

JK's JK

Banned
Well I took it over to have the code read......P0507. Some information that I found off the internet.

Idle Air Control System RPM Higher Than Expected

What does this mean?
OBD Code P0507refers to
This P0507 code is one that's sometimes triggered on vehicles that have electronic throttle control. That is, they don't have a regular throttle cable from the accelerator pedal to the engine. They rely on sensors and electronics to control the throttle. In this case, the P0507 DTC (diagnostic trouble code) is triggered when the PCM (powertrain control module) detects an engine idle speed that is greater than the desired (pre-programmed) RPM. In the case of GM vehicles (and possibly others) if the idle speed is over 200 rpm higher than expected, this code will be set.

Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0507
Most likely you'll notice the idle speed is higher than normal. There are potentially other symptoms as well. Of course, when trouble codes are set, the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp, a.k.a. the check engine light) illuminates.

Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0507
A P0507 DTC trouble code may be caused by one or more of the following: A vacuum leak Leaking air intake after the throttle body EGR valve leaking vacuum A faulty positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve Damaged/failed/dirty throttle body Failed EVAP system Failed IAC (idle air controller) or faulty IAC circuit

Possible Solutions
This DTC is more of an informational code, so if there are any other codes set, diagnose them first. If there are no other codes, inspect the intake air system for air or vacuum leaks and damage. If there are no symptoms other than the DTC itself, just clear the code and see whether it returns. If you have an advanced scan tool that can interact with the car, command the idle higher and lower to see if the engine responds appropriately. Also check the PCV valve to see if it's blocked and needs to be replaced. Check the IAC (idle air controller) if equipped, verify it's operation. If available, try swapping in a new throttle body to see if that fixes the problem. On Nissan Altimas and possibly other vehicles the problem may be fixed by having the dealer perform an idle air relearn procedure, or other relearn procedures.

JK's JK

Banned
I ended up going over to the Dodge dealership and getting a new PCV valve. Installed that and disconnected the battery for 10 minutes. Let the Jeep run for a good 5 without a hick-up. Hope this fixes the issue. I'll update as needed.

JK's JK

Banned
I let the Jeep idle yesterday for a good 5 minutes with no problems. Drove the Jeep around with no problems. I'll have to wait for a update on this issue and hope that I fixed it.

ryno1

Update?

I let the Jeep idle yesterday for a good 5 minutes with no problems. Drove the Jeep around with no problems. I'll have to wait for a update on this issue and hope that I fixed it.

I'm curious if this fixed the problem for good? I have the same P0507 code and am trying to figure out the best way to tackle it b/c I'm not hearing/seeing any vacuum leaks.

JK's JK

Banned
I'm curious if this fixed the problem for good? I have the same P0507 code and am trying to figure out the best way to tackle it b/c I'm not hearing/seeing any vacuum leaks.

Actually I still experiencing an issue with the engine. Two weeks ago while turning a corner the Engine started to flutter like previous times pulled off the road and turned the engine off. I however have noticed on my engine when stopping, it should go down to about 700rmps but then it fluctuates between 700 - 1200 bouncing normal operation. I took it over to the dealer ship a month ago and they tested the cylinders and read for codes. Of course there where no codes and the issue is on and off. I took it over to the Dodge dealership again today giving them two problems that I am now experiencing. Scheduled a time for this coming Friday to drop it off.

bookem

Actually I still experiencing an issue with the engine. Two weeks ago while turning a corner the Engine started to flutter like previous times pulled off the road and turned the engine off. I however have noticed on my engine when stopping, it should go down to about 700rmps but then it fluctuates between 700 - 1200 bouncing normal operation. I took it over to the dealer ship a month ago and they tested the cylinders and read for codes. Of course there where no codes and the issue is on and off. I took it over to the Dodge dealership again today giving them two problems that I am now experiencing. Scheduled a time for this coming Friday to drop it off.

Resurrecting an old thread here!! I am having the exact same problems with my etc light and p0507 codes. Did any one find a cure??

berto1967

Im having the same problem. Can u throw a pic of the area tnanks

Here is some information that I found.

All,

More than anything I just wanted to put some information out there so others that beat their head against the wall trying to figure this out might find this thread.

A few months ago I swapped out engines, as mine shot craps. With that said...thing would run great, but idled a bit high. After a few minutes if it was left at idle, lightening bolt light would come on....sputtered and stopped running. If I was driving normally...It would never happen. Only when left at idle for a few minutes.

After a few times of this...the ECM finally threw out some codes.

P0507 and P2173

Then the research began. Both, from internet reading...suggested there was a vaccuum leak somewhere. Looked and looked...couldn't find it. Rubber lines were fine...so it continued.

Yesterday, I heard a hissing. When I tracked it down, I understood why I couldn't find it. It was the metal EGR tube. It had a very small crack in it...beneath the heat shield cover. I only found it because I was looking at it while the engine was still cold. I could stick my hand on it. Every other time, the engine had been running and that tube gets hot...not a chance I had touched it before.

Soo...long story short. I bit of metal heat tape and the codes went away, idle is back down to normal and life is good. Short term fix till I can find another tube. Hope this helps someone down the road avoid the headbutting of the nearest wall. Cheers mates !

Ben having the same problem like for over a year can u send a pic of were was the problem... thanks

Top Bottom