JK Wrangler Clockspring Replacement DIY Write-Up

Chili

If you have a JK whose airbag light (and associated chime) is intermittently on, you most likely have a defective clockspring. This is a common failure in JK’s, and although Jeep has recalled 2007 models for this reason, they are giving the finger to everyone with a 2008 or later, even though IT’S THE SAME PART! This is the second clockspring I have replaced; I had the same failure on my previous JK, except that time I paid the thieves at the dealership $550 for this repair. They were not going to get me again for the same thing, and I decided to do this write-up in case anyone else has the same failure and is contemplating going to the dealership for repair. As you will see, it’s simple enough to do yourself for approximately $200 in parts. It literally took me an hour to do, and I’m very slow.

Okay, first you’ll need the part. The current part number is 05156106AC. Google the part number and you’ll find plenty of online dealers who sell this part for around $200. Once you have the part, it’s time to get busy. The tools needed are:

T20 driver
Short handled flat head screwdriver
Phillips head screwdriver
13mm socket
Dental pick with 90 degree bend (optional, but recommended)

First, please accept my apologies in advance for the crappy iPhone pics. Disconnect the negative battery cable and let the Jeep sit for 5 minutes so the airbag system capacitor can discharge. Next, remove the steering column shroud. You will need a skinny T20 driver to get to the recessed screws from the bottom of the shroud (see photo):

Once the two halves of the shroud are separated, it will look like this:

Next on the list is airbag removal. I found this to be the trickiest part of this entire project. The airbag module is retained by three clips. These clips are accessed via holes at the 10 o’clock, 2 o’clock and 6 o’clock positions behind the airbag module, and as such, you will be working blind as you attempt to release the clips. If you scroll down, check out the photo of the airbag module and you will see the three clips I am referring to. You are expected to work a short handled, flat head screwdriver into each of these access holes, giving the screwdriver a twist to release each clip. Doing so will completely release the airbag module. The best way to do that is to rotate the steering wheel so that the hole you are currently working on is in the 12 o’clock position. Also, I did not use a screwdriver for this, but rather a dental pick with a 90 degree bend. I suggest releasing the 10 and 2 positions first, then the 6 position last. Releasing the clips looks like this:

Once the clips are released, the airbag module will only be held on by its two electrical connectors. Release them:

You should now be staring at the empty cavity of the steering wheel. Release the electrical connector for the cruise control (if equipped):

Now release the electrical connector that goes through the wheel at 12 o’clock and connects to the clockspring:

Next, remove the steering wheel bolt (13mm):

Give a nice hard yank on the wheel:

And you should be staring at a filthy clockspring:

The clockspring is held on with three T20 screws:

After the removal of the three screws, the clockspring is free and only the electrical connectors remain:

Remove the windshield wiper stalk with a single Phillips screw so that you can install it on the new clockspring:

Do the same with the turn signal stalk:

Here is the old unit completely disconnected and ready for the trash:

Here is the shiny new clockspring installed on the steering column after transferring the turn signal and wiper stalks. You may notice a yellow protector in the clockspring at the 12 o’clock electrical socket. Leave that in until the wheel has been installed.

Install the steering wheel (the shaft is keyed so the wheel can only go on one way) and pull the yellow protector out so you can reinstall the electrical connectors. The steering wheel bolt gets torqued to 40 ft lbs.

Reconnect the airbag’s electrical connectors. You will notice that one of the airbag retaining clips is different from the other two. The different clip is installed at the 6 o’clock position:

To reinstall the airbag module, simply push the unit back into position, making sure you hear and feel all three retaining clips engage. Reinstall the negative battery cable and congratulations, you’re done!

Rebel JK

Thanks Chili. Already printed out to put in my write up binder. Hopefully be doing this soon myself. :beer:

xtremefx4

Great write up. Now I guess I'll be doing this very soon. Looks like Chrysler/Jeep just might have to do a recall on this part. It sounds like there is a lot of us having this problem!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

RodCyn

Thank you very much for this info. Wish I had it last month when I had mine replaced. Next time, I'll do it myself :thumb:

george556

clockspring replacemant

I just left jeep dealer and the said my clockspring was bad and the part was 700.00 but did not quote the install price yet on my 2009 jeep. look like I will try to do it myself.

Rccrwlr

I just left jeep dealer and the said my clockspring was bad and the part was 700.00 but did not quote the install price yet on my 2009 jeep. look like I will try to do it myself.

Seems that Google thinks this part should cost much less. I would double check and get a second quote!

Serg5000

I utilized this write up today. Read it a couple times and found it to be very clear and direct. This write up took all the guess work out of the install. Thank you very much for taking time and writing this up for all of us to use.

Chili

I utilized this write up today. Read it a couple times and found it to be very clear and direct. This write up took all the guess work out of the install. Thank you very much for taking time and writing this up for all of us to use.

Hey Serg5000, thanks for saying so, and I'm very glad it helped.

liljohn850

The steps are practically the same for the 2011's. I think the only "major" difference is the one or 2 more connectors for the steering wheel controls. I removed the stalks from the clock spring while the clockspring was still attacthed to the steering colum

Moochie

Does anyone know if this write up is good for a 2014 JKUR?

If you are having trouble with a 2014 why don't you have the dealership take care of it? Are they giving you a hard time with your warranty? Over 36,000 miles on it already?

Top Bottom