Hood vents, Louvers, Scoops, etc - Engine Bay Heat Issues

pastorwug

I've seen a bunch of hood lover systems, vents, scoops and other devices to alleviate engine bay heat - I'm sure they work, but then why doesn't everyone use these? :thinking:

PS sells a hood louver system - seems cheap enough for some good venting.

There are also some very expensive hoods out there - AEV, etc.

suicideking

I wheeled with someone that has the PSC hood louvers on his TJ. Seems like a good deal compared to buying a $1000 AEV hood.

ChaosNein

I've seen a bunch of hood lover systems, vents, scoops and other devices to alleviate engine bay heat - I'm sure they work, but then why doesn't everyone use these? :thinking:

PS sells a hood louver system - seems cheap enough for some good venting.

There are also some very expensive hoods out there - AEV, etc.

are you having overheating issues?

pastorwug

No, but I live where the average annual temp is in the 70s.
I figure when I start going to Moab, Panamint, or Rubicon the heat issues will be major.

ChaosNein

I figure when I start going to Moab, Panamint, or Rubicon the heat issues will be major.

The Poison Spyder hood louvers are nice, I think people just might be a bit more apprehensive about cutting their hoods. It is not like trimming a pinch seam.

I would say if you dont need it, no need to do it.

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Moochie just installed the PSC hood louver on his rig and had it paint matched. Looks really sharp! He threw an LS 5.3 in it and he says he threw the louver on to help keep that LS as cool as possible.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I haven't had any issues going to the rubicon, panamint, Vegas or mojave in the heat.

WhiteDynamite

It's definitely form over function. I personally think they look bad-ass but have no issues here in Vegas without one.

pastorwug

I haven't had any issues going to the rubicon, panamint, Vegas or mojave in the heat.

I guess thats why I'm asking, haven't seen many of the PS louvers but more and more fancy (expensive) hoods showing up, all with extra cooling vents.

Asking the hard core guys why they dont have them is what I wanted to know.

suicideking

I'm considering the louvers thinking it may be better for the engine over the long term. Of course, I have no evidence to support this...

But hey, they look cool too! :D

SDG

Caught the Bug
574499_10151275373491517_1815716149_n.jpg

Personally not a fan, but some may like it.

HDGasser

I did the PSC louvers to help keep my Hemi cool, this thing puts out some heat!:rock:

It was either hack up a perfectly good hood for $130, or spend $1200+ paint for a aev hood.

I told myself if I fucked up my hood I'd buy the aev!

Came out nice... No finished pics tho lol

F10674CD-DDE9-4409-9B66-B64E8A3207EB-1100-0000001D6B712484_zpsae5ce6e6.jpg

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I'd really like to have a discussion with Jeep engineers or someone who knows about the topic. The underhood temps of the 3.6 are hotter than any vehicle I've owned before, but no overheating so far. Here in AZ dry rot sets in on tires in less than 5 yrs, 3 sometimes. What's happening to rubber parts under and around the hood? The engine itself? The first couple of oil changes were dino oil and the old oil didn't smell like it had burned. That was last summer. I switched to synthetic at the third oil change for a little insurance. It can't be a bad thing to vent the hood somehow, but is it really necessary? Besides, I'm always a little skeptical of advertising claims. Is there a solid reason Jeep doesn't pay more attention to it. There was a thread yesterday addressing climbing engine temps. as the 3.6 with auto tranny accumulates miles. Granted the tranny cooler sits in front of the radiator, but why doesn't it do it when new? Before I sink a bunch of money on something I think is needed, I'd like to know a little bit more.:thinking::thinking:

Spartan

I would like to know the answer to this to, but even if it doesn't really help at all I still like the look of some of them.

Not sure if I will get the Rubicon X or not, but I at lest want to get the hood. The only real question is do I make it functional or leave it the way it is, and have it be a just for looks part.

ChaosNein

IMO any time you are adding extra ventilation, it is going to do some good. I just think for most drivers, this is more of an aesthetic upgrade than a functional one. Now with the rise in V8 swaps, this becomes more of a functional upgrade.

Spartan

IMO any time you are adding extra ventilation, it is going to do some good. I just think for most drivers, this is more of an aesthetic upgrade than a functional one. Now with the rise in V8 swaps, this becomes more of a functional upgrade.

Are their any negatives to it like reduced MPG, or reduced performance in rain/snow?

ChaosNein

Are their any negatives to it like reduced MPG, or reduced performance in rain/snow?

I would think that there could be an issue if too much moisture was allowed to get under your hood. But that being said, people have been putting hood louvers / vents / etc on vehicles for years and I would not think that the JK would be any different.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug

Thanks Drew.:thumb: I guess for the time being I'll look at venting from a reactive rather than pro-active standpoint 'cause I still like my 3.6.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Moochie just installed the PSC hood louver on his rig and had it paint matched. Looks really sharp! He threw an LS 5.3 in it and he says he threw the louver on to help keep that LS as cool as possible.

Yup, color matched, it looked badass. Maybe Moochie will come on to post up some pics :yup:

Top Bottom