AIRAID 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler Cold Air Intake System Installation Write-Up

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
main.php

I love my new 2012 Jeep JK Wrangler and all the awesome "get up and go" it has right of the box but, if there's a chance I could get a bit more out of the 3.6L V6 Pentastar engine and help it to sound a bit sweeter at the same time, you know it's something I'm gonna do. Needless to say, recently I picked up the all new AIRAID Cold Air Intake system to help me to do just that and I have to say, I'm really happy with what I got.

Specifically made for the 2012-Up JK with it's new Pentastar engine, the AIRAID Cold Air Intake System is computer designed to provide maximum air flow, which in turn means more horsepower, torque and improved performance. The AIRAID Premium Filter that comes with the kit is made to offer a filtration performance that is second to none, is 100% washable, reusable and features a Lifetime “No-Hassle” Warranty.

Below is an installation write-up to show you just how easy it is to install one of these cold air intake systems in your 2012-Up JK.

What You Will Need
• 10mm Wrench
• 11/32, 7/16" Wrench & Socket
• 3/32, 5/32, 7/32" Allen Wrench
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Flathead Screwdriver
• Small Flathead Screwdriver
• Hacksaw
• Scratch Awl
• Ruler
• Bench Vice
• Hand Drill
• 3/32" or 1/8" Drill Bit

You May Also Want
Because of the harsh, dusty and sometimes wet enviroments we wheel in, I opted to get an AIRAID Pre-Filter which slips over the their Premium Filter.

Part #799-445

main.php

Also, you might want to plan ahead and order a Filter Tune-Up Kit:

Aerosol Spray Part #790-551
Squeeze Spray Part #790-550

Installation Instructions
What all you will get with your new AIRAID JK 3.6L Pentastar Cold Air Intake System.
main.php

1. Open your hood and then, using a 10mm wrench, disconnect the negative lead on your battery.
main.php

2. Grab your engine cover and lift up on it until it comes free of the snaps. Set it aside for not.
main.php

3. Disconnect the Air Temperature Sensor which is located on the side of the factory intake near the throttle body. There is a tab on the plug that you will need to depress while pulling.
main.php

4. Using a 10mm wrench, remove the 2 bolts securing the intake tube to the fan shroud.
main.php

5. Separate the coolant hose from the clips on the intake.
main.php

6. Using a flathead screwdriver, loosen the clamp securing the intake to the airbox and throttle body as shown.
main.php

main.php

7. Separate the intake from the airbox and throttle body and remove it from the engine compartment.
main.php

main.php

8. Firmly grab the crankcase breather hose and pull it off the airbox.
main.php

9. Firmly grab the airbox and pull up while wiggling it a bit until it comes free of its mounting gromets. Remove the airbox completely from the engine compartment.
main.php

10. Locate the Filter Adapter, new Cold Air Box and 1/4-20x1/2" button head bolts and 1/4" flat washers provided.
main.php

11. From the inside, insert the Filter Adapter through the large circle hole on the Cold Air Box as shown.
main.php

12. Using the 1/4-20x1/2" button head bolts and 1/4" flat washers provided, secure the Filter Adapter to the Cold Air Box. You will need a 5/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

13. Using the 1/4-20x5/8 bolts, 1/4" washers and nylock nuts provided, install the Air Scoop Bracket onto the outside of the Cold Air Box as shown. You will need a 7/16" socket and wrench for this job.
main.php

main.php

14. Using a hand drill with a 3/32" bit, drill out the rivet heads securing the air scoop to the factory airbox.
main.php

15. Remove the air scoop simply by pulling it out of the airbox.
main.php

16. Place the factory air scoop on a workbench, measure 3" up from the base and then make a mark with a scratch awl on all 4 corners.
main.php

17. Use a ruler to help scribe a straight line connecting the 4 marks that you just made.
main.php

18. Secure the air scoop in a bench vice and then use a hacksaw or Dremel to cut along the scribed line you just created.
main.php

19. Insert the factory air scoop into your new Cold Air Box and secure it in place as shown using the 8-32x3/8" button head bolts, flat washers and kep nuts provided with the kit. You will need an 11/32" wrench and 3/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

20. Back under the hood, firmly grab and pull out the 3 factory gromets that were used to secure the factory airbox to the inner fender.
main.php

21. Install the 3 large well nuts provided with the kit in place of the factory gromets as shown.
main.php

22. Insert the new AIRAID Cold Air box assembly into your engine compartment.
main.php

23. Secure the new Cold Air Box assembly onto the inner fender well nuts using the 3/8x1-1/2" button head bolts provided. A 7/32" allen wrench will be needed for this job.
main.php

24. Install the 5/8" barbed fitting into the threaded hole on your new AIRAID Intake Tube as shown.
main.php

25. The Air Temperature Sensor from your factory intake tube is locked in place. To remove it, you will need to rotate it in a counter cockwise direction until it is in the open position and can be removed safely. You may find it necessary to use a small flathead screwdriver to gently lift up on the locking tab while rotating it to clear the locking cleat. Remember, this is a plastic sensor and very easy to break so make sure you do all this very carefully and without using too much force.
main.php

26. Once in the open position, pull up on the Air Temperature Sensor while gently rocking it back and forth and it will eventually come out of the tube. Again, this is a delicate sensor made of plastic and easy to break so make sure to be very careful while working on it.
main.php

27. Install the factory Air Temperature Sensor that you just removed into your new AIRAID Intake Tube with the locking tab pointed toward the threaded hole as shown. The O-Ring will make it tough to get it all the way in and you may find it helpful to use a small flathead screwdriver to carefully work around the O-Ring and tuck it in. You DO NOT want to damage the O-Ring or the sensor so take your time and be very careful.
main.php

28. Secure the Air Temperature Sensor to the Intake Tube using the 8-32x1/2" button head bolt and #8 fender washer included with the kit. A 3/32" allen wrench will be needed for this job.
main.php

29. Slip one of the large hose clamps provided onto the Double Hump Hose and install it on the straight end of the Intake Tube as shown. Leave the hose clamp loose for now.
main.php

30. Install the Silicone Reducer onto the 90° bend of the Intake Tube and slip a large and small hose clamp onto it as shown. Leave the hose clamps loose for now.
main.php

31. Slip on the last large hose clamp onto the open end of the Double Hump hose and install it onto the Cold Air Box assembly as shown.
main.php

32. Install the Silicon Reducer end of the Intake Tube onto the throttle body.
main.php

33. Double check that everything is on and properly aligned and then tighten all the hose clamps to secure the Intake Tube in place. A flathead screwdriver will be needed for this job.
main.php

main.php

34. Remove the factory crankcase breather hose by grabbing it firmly and pulling it off the hard plastic tube as shown.
main.php

35. Slip one of the speed clamps over the new 5/8" hose provided with the kit and install it onto the hard plastic tube as shown. Secure the hose in place by squeezing the speed clamp together.
main.php

36. Slip a speed clamp onto the opposite end of the new 5/8" hose, install it onto the AIRAID barbed fitting and secure it in place by squeezing the speed clamp together.
main.php

37. Reach below the Intake Tube and reconnect the wiring harness to the Air Temperature Sensor.
main.php

38. Slip the 2 Adel Clamps provided with the kit onto the coolant line as shown.
main.php

39. Secure the Adel Clamps onto your fan shroud using the 6mm bolts and 1/4" flat washers provided. You will need a 7/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

40. Remove the 2 factory engine cover grommets by prying them off to the side as shown.
main.php

41. Install the new taller grommets provided with the kit onto your engine cover.
main.php

42. Reinstall your engine cover by snapping it in place.
main.php

43. If you opted to get an AIRAID Pre-Filter like I did, you will want to install it now simply by slipping it over the Premium Filter as shown.
main.php

44. Slip the large hose clamp over the neck of the AIRAID Premium Filter, drop it into the Cold Air Box, install it onto the Filter Adapter and then tighten the hose clamp with a flathead screwdriver to secure it in place.
main.php

45. Peel the backing off the gasket provided and affix it onto the bottom of the Air Box Lid.
main.php

46. Peel the protective film off the Air Box Lid, place it on top of the the Cold Air Box and secure it in place using the 1/4-20x1/2" buttonhead bolts and 1/4" flat washers. You will need a 5/32" allen wrench for this job.
main.php

47. Use a 10mm wrench to reconnect your negative battery lead and double check your work.
main.php

And that's it, you're done! You now have an awesome AIRAID Cold Air Intake System installed on your 3.6L V6 Pentastar Engine.
main.php

Please let me know if you have any questions :cool:

rakattack526

Awesome write up, have mine on the way. Hoping it gets here before the end of the week, so I can use it this weekend. :beer:

DA RUNT

Nice write up, I was torn between the air raid and banks. ended up going with the banks tho because it was in stock and i'm an impatient man :rock:

hydroslyder

Great write up! How's the butt dyno registering this intake :brows: ? Also, with cutting the existing air scoop is there much chance of messing that up or is there a pretty good margin for the cut?

NHAkita

bang vs buck$

What is the gain of this system as apposed to adding a K&N air filter in the stock box? It would seem without having a larger opening for the air to get in the gains would be minimal. It looks cool...

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
well, i won't comment on actual performance gains as i have not done a dyno on it but only because i haven't been able to do a dyno on our 12 at all. the new computer makes this nearly impossible and, while it probably can be done, i'm not willing to spend that kind of money to do it.

having said that, i do like the way it sounds and i did feel performance gains but by how much, i can't tell you for sure. running 37's on 4.10 gears with the 3.6 isn't bad at all but, with this addition, i feel like i'm just about driving a stock jk with 32's again.

MTG

Caught the Bug
wayoflife said:
well, i won't comment on actual performance gains as i have not done a dyno on it but only because i haven't been able to do a dyno on our 12 at all. the new computer makes this nearly impossible and, while it probably can be done, i'm not willing to spend that kind of money to do it.

having said that, i do like the way it sounds and i did feel performance gains but by how much, i can't tell you for sure. running 37's on 4.10 gears with the 3.6 isn't bad at all but, with this addition, i feel like i'm just about driving a stock jk with 32's again.

Sweet! BTW--are you pulling this before you take it in for the engine code?

Edit: nevermind. Just saw the install above and I answered my own question. Idiot!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sweet! BTW--are you pulling this before you take it in for the engine code?

Edit: nevermind. Just saw the install above and I answered my own question. Idiot!

past experience dealing with dealerships has taught me that if they're honest and are willing to help you, they will regardless of what mods you have unless it is clear that the mod caused the problem. likewise, they can find any reason under the sun to not help you and make it hard as hell to get anyone else to help you as well. this is the reason why i laugh at the idea of a warranty. for my purposes, i know this is a real problem and a common one and i just want it fixed. i'm going into this with the understanding that i will most likely have to pay for it even though i shouldn't have to but, if it turns out that i don't, i'll call it a stroke of luck.

rakattack526

Got it installed and on the trail this morning. Money well spent. My '12 sounds like a beast when accelerating now and the extra power is noticeable. Can't wait to throw an exhaust under it and get it sounding even better.

hydroslyder

Just ordered this intake w/ the oil-free filter. Got it for about 276 on amazon, it was the last one they were selling in house but keep an eye out on there if you want to save some $$. I'll update with my thoughts after the install!

hydroslyder

Just finished the install, Airaid's instructions were good but your write up was much better to follow! Took it on a quick test run, sounds awesome I may have noticed a slight difference in performance but that could be all in my head. All in all very happy with my purchase!

Antisimplistic

Installed mine today. The project-jk / wayalife writeup should be included with the intake - so much better than the standard instructions. Very straightforward project and a short drive tells me that the engine sounds are more "throaty," complementing my Evolution exhaust nicely. Not sure about power gains or placebo effect - gotta drive it more.

Majik

I installed this intake and an aFe exhaust at the same time. I notice some seat-of-the-pants improvement, and an awesome sound :)

Now Eddie, I know I'm just a newb to the site, but I couldn't resist asking: in one of your pics you are using a small ruler that states: "Conservation - A Way of Life". I've gotta know if that was just a coincidence or some kind of inspiration for the site name itself??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oiled versus SynthaMax?
What is the difference?

One uses an oil to trap dust and debris and the other is a non-oiled filter that you can just wash. The later is newer technology and what most people seem to be moving toward.

I installed this intake and an aFe exhaust at the same time. I notice some seat-of-the-pants improvement, and an awesome sound :)

Now Eddie, I know I'm just a newb to the site, but I couldn't resist asking: in one of your pics you are using a small ruler that states: "Conservation - A Way of Life". I've gotta know if that was just a coincidence or some kind of inspiration for the site name itself??

:cheesy: We live in socal and we have to deal with the lack of water all the time. This was a ruler given out by the water district to help home owners understand how to conserve better but, I liked it because it was small, durable and flexible. The fact that it has the "way of life" on it was just a bonus :D

TheMikeD

Just finished installing this (throttle spacer, too). I didn't even look at the instructions from airaid. I just used your write up. Awesome job! Thanks!

jkjurny

Any word when this will be Cal CARB compliant? Airaid's site has no info. I have a 2012 also. I guess the hope is that it'll be compliant when our first smog check needs to happen?

Top Bottom