First hole..... o.O

JKWrang

Okay.

I caught the bug
I'm hooked
I have Jeep Dysmorphic Disorder
I eat sleep and breathe mods mods mods.

My head is spinning with sliders and armors and write ups and BIG dreams.

Now its time to sac up and *gulp* drill the first hole In the body!!!

Got a side mount fitestik mount that requires two drill holes to mount flush. Tips? Tricks? Do I just grab a beer and go for it and never look back?

:cheesy:

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
just grab a beer and go for it and never look back?

:cheesy:

Yes, exactly. Just make sure they are in the right place before drilling. :thumb:

Only other advice is don't push to hard and bend the sheetmetal.

Good luck! :rock:

JKWrang

Yea I'm kinda terrified to make the holes off center haha.

JKWrang

My plan is to use some painters tape, a level and a DeWalt 12v 1.5ah 3/8 drill/driver

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Use a center punch to mark where you want to drill your holes, this will help to ensure you do in fact drill where you want to be drilling. If you have one, use a unibit or step bit as they tend to do a better job of drilling through the body and cleaner. Of course, having said all that, I personally prefer to have an antenna mount attached to the tailgate tire carrier or even better, off of an aftermarket rear bumper/tire carrier.

seanb123

Cutting a 2014 ehhh I wouldn't cut the body yet. I'd just get a mouthing bracket that go from the tire carrier bolts on. But if you really want to go for it

JKWrang

Mmmmmmmm.. This is interesting advice.
I gotta order an ARB snatch strap anyway. Might just get a tailgate mount too then. Thanks

bl17z90

I agree with what they said. Get a mount that attaches the tailgate and uses existing holes.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ahhhh, I remember my first hole.

I would seriously rethink your build. Will you ever get a bumper/tire carrier that will interfere with your current antenna mount? Will the new bumper/ tire carrier have better antenna mounting options? Look ahead a few mods before you start drilling permanent holes.

I've installed several sets of skins and such both on my rig and buddies that require holes in the body. Just be sure you want the permanent hole. If you do, measure thrice, drill once, go slow and straight! 👍

pvanweelden

An antenna (that sticks out above your top) takes alot of abuse on the trail (trees) garage doors, parking ramps, etc. The JK sheet metal body is very thin. Not familiar with the body mount you have, but not sure I would want to have that much movement attached to the thin sheet metal, seems like it would end up denting the body over time.

An easy way to attach it to a steel rear bumper is to get a large steel fender washer, and weld one edge of it to the bumper, sticking out over the edge to allow the antenna to go through the hole to mount.

JKWrang

Hmmm... this is why I post here. You guys are very helpful thank you

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Mmmmmmmm.. This is interesting advice.
I gotta order an ARB snatch strap anyway. Might just get a tailgate mount too then. Thanks

i have a teraflex tailgate mount that i will sell you. was on my rig for a week before i changed directions and get a aftermarket tire carrier

bl17z90

Also having the antenna on the side like that it is just begging to be ripped off on the trail.

JKWrang

Much obliged, folks. I purchased a Teraflex mount courtesy of a Wayalifer. All is well in CB land provided it gets here in time for RC! *fingers crossed*

miguel250r

1380839606207.jpg 1380839617053.jpg

This is how I mounted mine pretty simple to the back of the third brake light
Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Now I have read that it is better to mount higher on vehicle. Even a better mount would be in front by the fender. Reason is for better reception. Is this true?

miguel250r

Now I have read that it is better to mount higher on vehicle. Even a better mount would be in front by the fender. Reason is for better reception. Is this true?

Lower swrs if u got a object blocking the antenna like a spare tire Ur swrs will be high and it won't work as good

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom