Back Way to Crown King

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
After finishing up the Ultra 4 Championship Race out in Congress, AZ, Mel asked Greg, Cindy and I to join he and his family on a run up to Crown King. For those of you who aren't familiar with this famous off road destination, Crown King is an old mining town located up in the Bradshaw Mountains just northwest of Phoenix. The first recorded gold claim was back in 1875 and in its heyday, had 500 buildings, including company stores, boarding houses, two Chinese restaurants, a railroad and a post office. By the time active mining ceased in the 1950's, over $2 million in gold would have been extracted from the surrounding area. Today, the town is still very much alive and kicking and finds most of it's gold from tourists.

While you can visit this remote mountain town from the east off of Interstate 17, most Jeepers make their way up from the south near Lake Pleasant. This route is considered the "back way" to Crown King and what we decided to run. For the most part, the trail is easy with great views but, there are also optional side routes with obstacles you can challenge yourself on along the way as well. Here are some pics from our trip, I hope you enjoy.

Initially, Cindy and I declined to join in the fun due to the code below that we had on our Jeep but fortunately, we got it figured out in time...
main.php

Mel and I playing some checkers before breakfast at Cracker Barrel...
main.php

Making our way up to Lake Pleasant...
main.php

Airing down before hitting dirt...
main.php

Enjoy all the saguaros surrounding us...
main.php

Time to eat some dust...
main.php

Greg leading us up the first of many off-shoots...
main.php

For those of you in SoCal, the trail is a lot like Cleghorn or Pancake Rock...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Climbing up another off-shoot...
main.php

But, there's a traffic jam up ahead. Greg getting out to see what's up...
main.php

Apparently, this JK riding solo got high centered and needed some help...
main.php

Mel spotting him through...
main.php

With traffic cleared, Greg shows how it's done...
main.php

Rubicat's turn...
main.php

EVOlander picking up the rear...
main.php

More fun up ahead...
main.php

main.php

Pulling into Crown King...
main.php

main.php

The Crown King Saloon...
main.php

main.php

While most people make a loop out of the Crown King Trail and end back on Interstate 17, Mel still needed to pick up his motorhome and trailer down in Congress so, we broke out the maps and plotted a way there. Here's an old cabin we saw along the way...
main.php

Awesome old bridge we got to cross...
main.php

All loaded up and on our way back to SoCal...
main.php

If you're ever in the Phoenix area and are looking for a fun day trip, I would highly recommend you head on up to Crown King. :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Very informative about the area Eddie! Learned something new with some amazing shots to go along with it

Sent from my iPhone

kevinp

That looks like a great place. I'm starting to look forward to getting back to the mainland.

Sincerely,
Kevin

Sent from my GS4 using the WAYALIFE mobile app.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
One of my favorite trails! I've been wanting to take the WK2 Trail Hawk Grand Cherokee up that trail someday. Ran it many times in the JK.

NAUJK

One of my favorite trails! I've been wanting to take the WK2 Trail Hawk Grand Cherokee up that trail someday. Ran it many times in the JK.

Its one of my favorite trails too, very beautiful area! I think youre missing a shot tho ;)

IMG_3955.jpg

One of my favorite signs. Its on the Crown King trail bout halfway up over in the trees. Makes me laugh, soo Arizona.

finger3

Its one of my favorite trails too, very beautiful area! I think youre missing a shot tho ;)

View attachment 51453

One of my favorite signs. Its on the Crown King trail bout halfway up over in the trees. Makes me laugh, soo Arizona.

That is one funny sign on the trail.
Noticed an SUV on its roof burned up next to the trail a week prior to Eddy's trip.
That really is a fun trail and a great destination. Made the last trip with two VJC members in a ZJ and an XJ Juggy.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
The "Back Way to Crown King." That's what everyone who's run the trail calls it. It's been a staple in this area for generations of off roaders with 2, 3, and 4 wheels. I've only run it on dirt bikes. Fun, fun, fun! In the 70's-80's there was a way fat Billy Goat who hung out at the general store. The store sold ice cream and almost everyone who bought went outside to enjoy it. I lost a two scoop cone to him five seconds after I sat down outside. He chomped it about 1/4 inch above my fingers. Personally, I think the store owner kept the thief around 'cause most everyone who got hit went back in to buy another round. Thanks Eddie for posting these pics. Brought back memories.:thumb:

Top Bottom