Are Beadlock Wheels necessary for rock crawling?

CrushJK

Are Beadlock Wheels necessary for rock crawling? What is the lowest tire pressure you can reasonably go with non-beadlock wheels?

JK's JK

Banned
Are Beadlock Wheels necessary for rock crawling? What is the lowest tire pressure you can reasonably go with non-beadlock wheels?

Bead locks are good for dropping your tire pressure to a good 4-5psi or so, just helps not loosing bead. If you have a regular rim, you can wheel all you want. on a normal rim you can drop your tire pressure to 10-12lbs or so.

HLKSMSH

Yes beadlocks are for Airing down to low PSI 4-7 pounds I would say is low on a stock wheel I would not suggest under 18 PSI I have busted the bead a few times running 18 PSI but that was on wet rocks and the jeep slid pulling the tire off. Just glad I have a OBA system on my jeep if you plan on airing down I would suggest getting a air system and do go cheap get one you can use with air tools. It will make trail repairs easy and you will be happy you did it.

pvanweelden

^ and make sure your OBA can reseat a broken bead if you don't get beadlocks

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

miguel250r

My old samurai had non bead lock wheel with 10 ply tires n I used to pull the valve core out till the air almost stopped n that's where I left it like 2 psi but that's not a jeep haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

I run as low as 4psi without bead locks. Only had it break the bead when doing hard turns in the sand and haven't popped the bead in the rocks yet. I "burp" the tires often, which kinda sucks, but that's life without beadlocks.
I always carry starter fluid in case I need to reseat the bead.
Do I wish I had bead locks? Heck yes! But I don't let that stop me from airing down to a good psi. Your rim width also plays a huge part in keeping the tire on the rim.

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Last edited:

NatedTJ

I don't know if this is a "dumb" question but, if you are running say 4psi how much more likely are you to hit your wheels. Just seems like you would

pvanweelden

I don't know if this is a "dumb" question but, if you are running say 4psi how much more likely are you to hit your wheels. Just seems like you would
The type of tire you run will dictate how low you can air them down, and not have them squat much. David's tires are similar to what I run, and unless I am putting pressure on my tires (against a rock) you can't even tell I aired down at all. Most tires do not have a thick sidewall, and going lower than 15 psi can put you at risk of blowing a bead

Spartan

The type of tire you run will dictate how low you can air them down, and not have them squat much. David's tires are similar to what I run, and unless I am putting pressure on my tires (against a rock) you can't even tell I aired down at all. Most tires do not have a thick sidewall, and going lower than 15 psi can put you at risk of blowing a bead

So, if I'm understanding you right. The thicker the sidewalls the lower you can go without beadlocks. Is that correct? So for example if you ran KM2's at 6 PSI they would be at greater risk of blowing a bead then Trail Grapplers running are 6 PSI.
Is that what your saying?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, bead locks are not necessary but will help ensure you won't roll a bead when running a low psi. A tire with a thicker sidewall (Toyo MT, Nitto Mud Grappler, etc) will hold up much better running at a low psi than would a thinner sidewall tire like a BFG MT or Goodyear MT/R.

Top Bottom