Nitto Mud Grappler vs Trail Grappler

zeddjb

So a couple of years ago, I purchased a set of Nitto Mud Grapplers knowing that they would be loud on the road and deafening on the highway; but off-road they would be amazing. Needless to say, I probably should have gone with the Trail Grapplers instead. Most of my driving is on road but I wanted a tire that was really good off the road in the sand, dirt, mud, rocks and other obstacles.

I'm looking for a comparison if anyone has a set of both of these. The ultimate comparison I'm looking for is road and highway ride quality and noise. I'm hoping to make it next year to the EJS(2014) and I want to drive the Jeep there from Wisconsin and I don't want to be deaf by the time I get there. I don't mind a little hum on the road, but anyone who has a set of Mud Grapplers know that they are pretty loud. My wife knows I'm coming home from a mile away because she can hear the loud hum of those tires. I just want something a little bit quieter but still very good off the road.

I like Nitto a lot but I'm not against something else if anyone has any suggestions. Class E tire is what I prefer, but I could go with a D also; nothing less than an 8 ply though.

Thanks ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I've been Mud Grapplers on our white JK and you're right, they are really hard to beat on the trail. Having said that, I am extremely happy with the Trail Grapplers I am running on our dozer JK and think you will be as well. I have run both in Moab, the Rubicon, etc and both perform great. Trail Grapplers aren't as strong in the sidewalls but, they are a hell of a lot more road friendly.

How well do the Mud Grapplers do with lateral stability when of camber in the mud? From just looking at the tread there doesn't seem to be much keeping them from sliding sideways in the slimy stuff.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using WAYALIFE mobile app

zeddjb

Thanks for the feedback. What about the noise difference? How do they compare on the road and highway?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

Thanks for the feedback. What about the noise difference? How do they compare on the road and highway?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You almost can't hear the trail grapplers. It is amazing how quiet they are

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The mud grapplers get louder when they lose a bit of tread. I will most likely be going with those again in 37's when I need new ones.

zeddjb

This is probably a silly question but, does the tire really make a difference in comfort on the road? Especially in comparing Nitto Mud and Trail Grapplers? I know Eddie that you said I would be happy if I did go with the Trail Grapplers and I believe you, but why am I going to be happy?

Maybe moving to the Trail Grappler tire would help some of my front end issues out some? I'm running 35x12.50x17 on the stock wheels right now; I would like to move to the 37" flavor if I do decide to go with the Trail Grapplers, but I'm unsure if that is such a good idea right now.

bl17z90

You can run a 37" trail grappler on a stock wheel but not a mud grappler because the muds for a 17 inch rim in 37's are 13.5 wide.

zeddjb

You can run a 37" trail grappler on a stock wheel but not a mud grappler because the muds for a 17 inch rim in 37's are 13.5 wide.

Roger that...that's good info to know. My plan is to in a couple of years upgrade gears so I think going with 37" Trail Grapplers is probably the way to go. ;)

kyle521

Mud grapplers are very loud and i could never stand them, on my friends f350 they are louder than his stack in the bed. I would go with the trails. i run duratracs and i dont notice any noise but they dont make those in 37

JKWrang

*Insert fanboy comment about Nitto and zone of influence here*

:cheesy:

Sent from my phone while I should probably be getting work done

Brankz

13.5!! Wow that's crazy :0 how much back space do u need? Like 5 inch?

I know my English sucks lol

zeddjb

Yea they are annoyingly loud. Of course that is just my opinion and some people like that noise and that's okay. I just don't like them that loud and wish I would have gone with Trail Grapplers to begin with. I'll have to get some pictures and try and sell the Mud Grapplers I have.

Brankz

Yea they are annoyingly loud. Of course that is just my opinion and some people like that noise and that's okay. I just don't like them that loud and wish I would have gone with Trail Grapplers to begin with. I'll have to get some pictures and try and sell the Mud Grapplers I have.

35s?

I know my English sucks lol

Top Bottom