Axle Swap Help

PGH08JK

Hello all, I am redoing my 2DR JK, And plan on 40's.. I was wondering what the best axles to buy from a yard or used.. I've looked and can't find any up-to-date information. We have a few junk yards around my area, and a good friend works at the big one, so I can get a good deal on them if I know which ones to get.. from what vehicle, etc. Thanks for the help!

PGh08

Serg5000

Hello all, I am redoing my 2DR JK, And plan on 40's.. I was wondering what the best axles to buy from a yard or used.. I've looked and can't find any up-to-date information. We have a few junk yards around my area, and a good friend works at the big one, so I can get a good deal on them if I know which ones to get.. from what vehicle, etc. Thanks for the help!

PGh08

For 40's your going to run D-60 correct? Also. Are you looking to find axles from a pickup and plan on doing all the work to make them work?
If that's your plan, for me that would be way to much effort. Just the tone ring issues alone would make me turn and walk.

A rear bolt on axle for the JK isn't real expensive. It's the front one that is almost double that of the rear axle. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Just remember, 40's are a big ass tire. It's going to need a strong axle.

PGH08JK

For 40's your going to run D-60 correct? Also. Are you looking to find axles from a pickup and plan on doing all the work to make them work?
If that's your plan, for me that would be way to much effort. Just the tone ring issues alone would make me turn and walk.

A rear bolt on axle for the JK isn't real expensive. It's the front one that is almost double that of the rear axle. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in. Just remember, 40's are a big ass tire. It's going to need a strong axle.

Thanks Serg, I can fab things, pretty handy with a mig/tig welder, I was planning on picking up some used ones off an old pickup. Wasn't sure what all it entailed, for do you think it'd be best to just beef the 44's?

Serg5000

Thanks Serg, I can fab things, pretty handy with a mig/tig welder, I was planning on picking up some used ones off an old pickup. Wasn't sure what all it entailed, for do you think it'd be best to just beef the 44's?

As I mentioned above. The one issue I would be concerned about is the tone rings. Cutting off brackets and installing proper once is the easy part.
Width may be another issue. You may end up needing to shorten the axles you find. Then you may have to have axles custom made. That I'm not sure about. Just thinking aloud.

A D-44 with 40's will work. However, it's not if the axles will fail with 40's. It's a matter of when and where. I'm running 37's on D-44's. That's as far as I'm willing to risk. One thing I just remembered. On D-44's running 40's your wheel studs are another link with its short comings. There is a ton of info out there. Maybe head over to JK- forum and look around there. Good luck brotha.

PGH08JK

As I mentioned above. The one issue I would be concerned about is the tone rings. Cutting off brackets and installing proper once is the easy part.
Width may be another issue. You may end up needing to shorten the axles you find. Then you may have to have axles custom made. That I'm not sure about. Just thinking aloud.

A D-44 with 40's will work. However, it's not if the axles will fail with 40's. It's a matter of when and where. I'm running 37's on D-44's. That's as far as I'm willing to risk. One thing I just remembered. On D-44's running 40's your wheel studs are another link with its short comings. There is a ton of info out there. Maybe head over to JK- forum and look around there. Good luck brotha.

Thanks for the info Serg, I appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, what all have you done to you're D44's? I run 37's now.. but not really upgraded to where I SHOULD be with them.. I wouldn't mind sticking with the 37's but switching things up and of course as all Jeepers know.. 40's WOULD be sick.. but I'm content at 37's IF I can bullet proof the driveline..

Serg5000

Thanks for the info Serg, I appreciate it. If you don't mind me asking, what all have you done to you're D44's? I run 37's now.. but not really upgraded to where I SHOULD be with them.. I wouldn't mind sticking with the 37's but switching things up and of course as all Jeepers know.. 40's WOULD be sick.. but I'm content at 37's IF I can bullet proof the driveline..

There truelly is no way to bullet proof an axle. It is going to depend on your style of wheeling. If your hard on the pedal, you will break something eventually. I am real easy on the pedal. I make sure and keep the rear from bouncing. I want my stuff to last. I take great care of my rig.

I drive an 08 X. It came with a locker in the rear D-44. I ran a D-30 with 35's for three years. And wheeled the shit out of it. I never had any issues with it at all. However, I wanted to run 37's. I picked up a Rubicon axle and installed sleeves, and gussets. I put synergy ball joints in it as well. I then found a factory elocker and shafts for cheap. I had the axle geared and now it's under my baby. That's everything I have done.

Ive read a few rag articles that say the stock 44's housings are weak. Is there any truth to this? I'm also looking to do a swap very soon to 40's and there''s no way my current D30 can handle it. Sorry, didnt mean to hijack:thumbup:

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

JacksonH

You can get tone rings for junk yard axles. For the rear vks fab has tone rings for $85 for 14 bolts. Dynatrac offers an abs retrofit kit that can work for the front. Common axles swapped are the full float 14 bolt rear and 1978-79 ford 60 front. Search "14 bolt bible" for more info on that axle.

Serg5000

You can get tone rings for junk yard axles. For the rear vks fab has tone rings for $85 for 14 bolts. Dynatrac offers an abs retrofit kit that can work for the front. Common axles swapped are the full float 14 bolt rear and 1978-79 ford 60 front. Search "14 bolt bible" for more info on that axle.

Thanks for chiming in.

Heholua

Ive read a few rag articles that say the stock 44's housings are weak. Is there any truth to this? I'm also looking to do a swap very soon to 40's and there''s no way my current D30 can handle it. Sorry, didnt mean to hijack:thumbup:

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

If you're going 40's, you will sooner or later have to go to D60s, 14 bolt, or Ford 9":). Depending on how you wheel, the stock 44 housings aren't going to last long:grayno:

You want to look for Ford F250/F350 1978/79 for the front.

If you go with a Ford 9 inch in the rear getting it shaved will give you a little more ground clearance.

A buddy I work with has been teaching me about building axles and I found a guy in Florida who will build them just not sure I am ready to pull the trigger on it.
If you google Dana 60 bible you will get all the information you will ever want to know.

R/
Will

OJK12

40's require 1 ton axles!!!!! Just my 2 cents but my buddy has an XJ with 37's a '79 ford DANA 44 and 9" in the rear and he just scattered both at a jeep jam. If you saw the video where and how it broke you be amazed at how easy it was to break them. For all the hassle you will have to do it yourself I would really consider a set of custom axles. I know it sucks cause they cost a lot but if your gonna wheel 40's I think you will be money ahead. Good luck on however you choose to go about this.

Jiffy05

You want to look for Ford F250/F350 1978/79 for the front.

If you go with a Ford 9 inch in the rear getting it shaved will give you a little more ground clearance.

A buddy I work with has been teaching me about building axles and I found a guy in Florida who will build them just not sure I am ready to pull the trigger on it.
If you google Dana 60 bible you will get all the information you will ever want to know.

R/
Will

Came here to say this^^:thumb:

Tigrcky

I would suggest going with a 14 bolt FF for the rear with a detroit locker the 3rd pinon bearing makes it super strong for a future v-8 swap and they are CHEAP!! also since you said you are good at fab work this will work, there are sites that offer a conversion kit that will ditch those heavy drums and hook you up with your tone rings so your esp and abs light dont blind you! also for the 14 bolt there is a shave kit that can gain you an extra 2 inches of clearance. for the rear you can also get a decent dana 70 HD with the 4 inch tubes ( i have one with 4.56s but your to far away to sell to ya). for the front i would recommend a dana 60 kingpin from a ford, as everyone else has said there are kits out there for tone rings. if you want to go with deeper then 5:38 gears then go with a dana 70 or even 80 from a diesel dodge, ford. if you wanna get super crazy chevy produced a 11.5 inch ring gear 14 bolt FF in the 2002 and up chevys and 2005 and up dodge diesels ( the dodges have thicker housing tubes) however gearing is limited to 5.38s, and all of these will already have disc brakes and most will have the tone rings on them but they are pricey! best of luck on your build!!! :rock:

Top Bottom