Daily Driving question...

Raven Moon

My question is born more our of ignorance to this situation as I have never encountered this before.
I have a 2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited, I know this vehicle is rear wheel drive (my previous parking lot 4x4 was a front wheel drive Ford Escape). I encountered a patch or gravel turning out of a parking lot and I got front tire spin or slippage. I double checked to make sure I was not in 4H (I had better not been as I just drove to SLC and back). So I guess my question is this; would what I felt and herd be "push" from the rear wheels pushing the front wheels before they gripped to turn or am I missing something? :icon_crazy::hmm:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
My question is born more our of ignorance to this situation as I have never encountered this before.
I have a 2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited, I know this vehicle is rear wheel drive (my previous parking lot 4x4 was a front wheel drive Ford Escape). I encountered a patch or gravel turning out of a parking lot and I got front tire spin or slippage. I double checked to make sure I was not in 4H (I had better not been as I just drove to SLC and back). So I guess my question is this; would what I felt and herd be "push" from the rear wheels pushing the front wheels before they gripped to turn or am I missing something? :icon_crazy::hmm:

basically your traction control kicked in. it transfered the power from the wheel slipping/spinning to a wheel where it has grip. your rear had no traction so the front kicked in and took over

axeman628

basically your traction control kicked in. it transfered the power from the wheel slipping/spinning to a wheel where it has grip. your rear had no traction so the front kicked in and took over

The front tires can't get power if the transfer case wasn't in 4H (or L). I may be wrong but maybe the computer applied the front brakes and the rears grabbed pushed them?? Are you sure you didn't spin a rear tire?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The front tires can't get power if the transfer case wasn't in 4H (or L). I may be wrong but maybe the computer applied the front brakes and the rears grabbed pushed them?? Are you sure you didn't spin a rear tire?

hmmm i thought that they could still :thinking: maybe that is only true for other vehicles.

my mistake OP

Raven Moon

At the time it happened only the front tires were in the gravel, it felt like a slight spin and sounded like it, but the rear tires were not in the small patch of gravel yet. It did not truly feel like push but it could have been. As far as I know I do not have an all wheel drive system.

1yellowjk

At the time it happened only the front tires were in the gravel, it felt like a slight spin and sounded like it, but the rear tires were not in the small patch of gravel yet. It did not truly feel like push but it could have been. As far as I know I do not have an all wheel drive system.

You don't have all wheel drive and if you had somehow managed to put the Jeep in 4 High you would have known it. If the front tire was in gravel more than not you probably pushed that tire while turning and it's nothing to worry about.

Unless your muffler bearing went out, then you're in all kinds of trouble. :crazyeyes:

J/K

mrmet1983

Under no circumstances will ur jk ever automatically go into 4wd no matter what u do in 2wd. So I'm thinking u just are mistaken I highly doubt ur jk is in 4wd and to check just do a hard u turn in a parking lot u wheel feel the front wheels binding and then u will know for sure if ur in 4wd

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

JKWrang

This would be absolutely correct if the JK had full time AWD. I tried explaining this to my buddy who is an audi fan and his eyes just kinda glazed over. :doh:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
This would be absolutely correct if the JK had full time AWD. I tried explaining this to my buddy who is an audi fan and his eyes just kinda glazed over. :doh:

yea i was thinking of the wrong thing when i wrote it. i think it had to do with me watching some tuner car show at the time and even me thinking about being in 4H/L where i know it kicks in and does that

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Your feeling is correct. This was common on my M3 as well, when I was on gravel driveways. The front tires didn't "spin" but rather, were pushed. Only one was pushed, while the other rotated, making the traction control think you are sliding, resulting in brake stabbing. Perfectly normal.

Raven Moon

You don't have all wheel drive and if you had somehow managed to put the Jeep in 4 High you would have known it. If the front tire was in gravel more than not you probably pushed that tire while turning and it's nothing to worry about.

Unless your muffler bearing went out, then you're in all kinds of trouble. :crazyeyes:

J/K

Is this akin to testing the armor on an M3A3 for soft spots with a hammer? Or getting an exhaust sample for the mechanics, or one that I repeated bact to my NCO's to have the other Privates check the air pressure in the pads on the tracks?:cheesy: or was my blinker fluid low?:thinking::naw:

Raven Moon

My old Ford Escape had this feature to go into 4WD when needed or I could engage on the fly. So this is the reason I have asked. I understand what it is like to have unengaged wheels engage. But It just felt weird is all, after my military experience, growing up hunting etc... so this was a kind of weird experience. I am starting to think this is more related to actual spin in the gravel but only due to having larger wheels and tires than I have been used to for the past few years. Also this in my first Jeep so I asked if this may have been a unique characteristic of Jeeps.

1yellowjk

Is this akin to testing the armor on an M3A3 for soft spots with a hammer? Or getting an exhaust sample for the mechanics, or one that I repeated bact to my NCO's to have the other Privates check the air pressure in the pads on the tracks?:cheesy: or was my blinker fluid low?:thinking::naw:

As a young Airmen on the flightline one of my trainers sent me down to the supply squadron to order new "flightline"....I only fell for those type of jokes once. :)

I did send one of my very young LT's to find me some classified pens to write with...that was pretty funny. :)

1yellowjk

My old Ford Escape had this feature to go into 4WD when needed or I could engage on the fly. So this is the reason I have asked. I understand what it is like to have unengaged wheels engage. But It just felt weird is all, after my military experience, growing up hunting etc... so this was a kind of weird experience. I am starting to think this is more related to actual spin in the gravel but only due to having larger wheels and tires than I have been used to for the past few years. Also this in my first Jeep so I asked if this may have been a unique characteristic of Jeeps.

Some of YJ's had shift on the fly, but not JK's.

JKWrang

That's PART time AWD. Not the same thing as 4wd. AWD is designed to improve traction and redirect torque to wheels that need it.

Your wheels should not be moving at the same speed during a turn, in fact your inner wheel on the turn would be moving slower and the outer faster. In an AWD vehicle the torque wiuld adjust to compensate for that need and the influence of the terrain.

In 4WD the tires are all moving at the same speed which is OK in rough/loose terrain and with the torque specs on 4WD vehicles sometimes even more desirable (see 4Lo). But if you've ever had 4Hi engaged on pavement and took a turn and heard some loud CLUNK, that's the front end trying to push the inner wheel at the same speed and the gears protesting the resistance.

Your part time AWD will redirect torque when it detects a slip or bad terrain whereas full time AWD is always engaged and always adjusting torque to wheels.

Like was said above, it sounds like your outer wheel, moving faster in the turn, was pushed/slid (b/c wranglers have 4WD)
Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

Raven Moon

Thanks again everyone I think I may be making more out of this than I should be. But It was an odd thing and I just asked. I am still learning about this new vehicle and how it reacts as I use it.
Highway speed long road trip down and understood. Issues with hood after gusts passing large vehicles going other way (hood flutter), higher stance during freeway cornering (somewhat squirrely especially after wind gusts), and a few other getting used to issues. Over all long road trip went well.
Now to get some basic trail time in before I make any mods.

Top Bottom