Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daily Driving question...

Daily Driving question...

My question is born more our of ignorance to this situation as I have never encountered this before.
    I have a 2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited, I know this vehicle is rear wheel drive (my previous parking lot 4x4 was a front wheel drive Ford Escape). I encountered a patch or gravel turning out of a parking lot and I got front tire spin or slippage. I double checked to make sure I was not in 4H (I had better not been as I just drove to SLC and back). So I guess my question is this; would what I felt and herd be "push" from the rear wheels pushing the front wheels before they gripped to turn or am I missing something?
    Commando Green 13' Sahara Unlimited STOCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Moon View Post
    My question is born more our of ignorance to this situation as I have never encountered this before.
    I have a 2013 Sahara Wrangler Unlimited, I know this vehicle is rear wheel drive (my previous parking lot 4x4 was a front wheel drive Ford Escape). I encountered a patch or gravel turning out of a parking lot and I got front tire spin or slippage. I double checked to make sure I was not in 4H (I had better not been as I just drove to SLC and back). So I guess my question is this; would what I felt and herd be "push" from the rear wheels pushing the front wheels before they gripped to turn or am I missing something?

basically your traction control kicked in. it transfered the power from the wheel slipping/spinning to a wheel where it has grip. your rear had no traction so the front kicked in and took over
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    basically your traction control kicked in. it transfered the power from the wheel slipping/spinning to a wheel where it has grip. your rear had no traction so the front kicked in and took over

The front tires can't get power if the transfer case wasn't in 4H (or L). I may be wrong but maybe the computer applied the front brakes and the rears grabbed pushed them?? Are you sure you didn't spin a rear tire?

Quote Originally Posted by axeman628 View Post
    The front tires can't get power if the transfer case wasn't in 4H (or L). I may be wrong but maybe the computer applied the front brakes and the rears grabbed pushed them?? Are you sure you didn't spin a rear tire?
    hmmm i thought that they could still maybe that is only true for other vehicles.

my mistake OP
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Been Around the Block 1yellowjk's Avatar
    Bossier City, Louisianna by-way-of Oklahoma!
    Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    hmmm i thought that they could still maybe that is only true for other vehicles.

my mistake OP
    That only works on all wheel drive vehicles.

Sounds like you may have pushed a tire and it felt wierd.
    Dale
    1999 XJ- Lockers, Winch, 33's, 4.5" vert, and some cool dents/welds.
    2012 JK Sport (sold)
    2008 JK Unlimited (sold)
    1992 YJ (sold)

My Jeeps
    http://wayalife.com/album.php?albumid=137

At the time it happened only the front tires were in the gravel, it felt like a slight spin and sounded like it, but the rear tires were not in the small patch of gravel yet. It did not truly feel like push but it could have been. As far as I know I do not have an all wheel drive system.

It sounds like the front tires just slipped a little on the gravel.
    If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending.

Thanks all I will pay closer attention next time it happens

Been Around the Block 1yellowjk's Avatar
    Bossier City, Louisianna by-way-of Oklahoma!
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven Moon View Post
    At the time it happened only the front tires were in the gravel, it felt like a slight spin and sounded like it, but the rear tires were not in the small patch of gravel yet. It did not truly feel like push but it could have been. As far as I know I do not have an all wheel drive system.
    You don't have all wheel drive and if you had somehow managed to put the Jeep in 4 High you would have known it. If the front tire was in gravel more than not you probably pushed that tire while turning and it's nothing to worry about.

Unless your muffler bearing went out, then you're in all kinds of trouble.

J/K
    Dale
    1999 XJ- Lockers, Winch, 33's, 4.5" vert, and some cool dents/welds.
    2012 JK Sport (sold)
    2008 JK Unlimited (sold)
    1992 YJ (sold)

My Jeeps
    http://wayalife.com/album.php?albumid=137

Under no circumstances will ur jk ever automatically go into 4wd no matter what u do in 2wd. So I'm thinking u just are mistaken I highly doubt ur jk is in 4wd and to check just do a hard u turn in a parking lot u wheel feel the front wheels binding and then u will know for sure if ur in 4wd

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast