Steering wheel vibration? Not death wobble

bl17z90

So as the title says my steering wheel has a wierd vibration to it.

I pulled my wheels retourqued my spacers and thrn rotated my tires as well as did an oil change (was due) test drove it and still the same thing. :thinking:

Its only in the steering wheel and its at all speeds, just a little more noticable at higher ones.

Any idea of what could be causeing this?

I was thinking maybe a failing tie rod or drag link end? Possibly a ball joint?

Sent from my phone?

Aeraun

So as the title says my steering wheel has a wierd vibration to it.

I pulled my wheels retourqued my spacers and thrn rotated my tires as well as did an oil change (was due) test drove it and still the same thing. :thinking:

Its only in the steering wheel and its at all speeds, just a little more noticable at higher ones.

Any idea of what could be causeing this?

I was thinking maybe a failing tie rod or drag link end? Possibly a ball joint?

Sent from my phone?

Or your hands shaking from nerves for being so anxious about next weekend :p

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Vibration like a "buzzing" sensation or, is it actually moving side to side ever so slightly?

MrHooah04

My jeeps steering shakes ever so slightly as well. Not death wobble by any means but def something I noticed after throwing heavy E rated tires on with minimal backspacing..I just ignore it as I feel it has no real structural problems :p

bl17z90

when was the last time you had the tires/wheels balanced.....I would start there

Yea I'd balance the tires.

Sent via secret squirrel underground network.

I am going to look at my wheels tomorrow to see if any of my weights may have fallen off or been sheered away.

My jeeps steering shakes ever so slightly as well. Not death wobble by any means but def something I noticed after throwing heavy E rated tires on with minimal backspacing..I just ignore it as I feel it has no real structural problems :p

This is new though :thinking:

I would re torque the front track bar

Sent from my PC36100 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Track bar hasn't moved, i know this for sure because i have paint marked EVERYTHING.

Sent from my phone?

In5ane1

Did you take rotor clips off? This will do it...I know from experience!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

You know I do have a big ass dent in my steering stabalizer. If it has been slowely leaking could that let the jeep shimmy a little bit?

Is that what you'll feel without a stabalizer?

Sent from my phone?

jeeeep

Hooked
it's possible - remove the SS and see if how easily it compresses (if any depending on the dent) - if you need to replace it, just get a stock SS

if you rotated the tires and they have not worn evenly or you have not had them balanced in a while, that would also cause a shimmy.

Tackerdown

Banned
You know I do have a big ass dent in my steering stabalizer. If it has been slowely leaking could that let the jeep shimmy a little bit?

Sent from my phone?

I smashed mine last trip and spun it the whole way around. Loosend the bolt put it back in place and dont get any vib from it. Most have said in the past that you could remove it and not have any problem, what it will do id hide a problem that does exist. So you could remove it and see if that helps to pinpoint the issue.

Tom

KPM171

Sent from my phone?

I was just thinking steering stabilizer. How about replacing that? I know, not a instant fix like something loose to tighten, but sounds like it needs to be done anyway and could very well be the culprit.

bl17z90

I'm going to pull it tomorrow and drive it around and see what happens.

If I tell Heather I need to buy jeep parte 2 months before our wedding she will kill me lol

Sent from my phone?

KPM171

I'm going to pull it tomorrow and drive it around and see what happens.

If I tell Heather I need to buy jeep parte 2 months before our wedding she will kill me lol

Sent from my phone?

They aren't 'fun' parts, it's a simple repair. Like brake pads or an oil filter. Those kinds of Jeep parts don't count!

KPM171

But it was caused while wheeling :p

Sent from my phone?
Let's not jump to conclusions on what 'may' have caused it. For all we know, the steering problem may have started while you were running wedding related errands around town. :D

Top Bottom