Old Mojave Road Run - 10/18-10/20

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
This weekend ttfhell, 10frank9, drew@offroadevolution and myself headed out to run the Old Mojave Road to traverse 140 miles across the deert. Without getting into too much back story it is the route the indians took to cross the desert a couple years ago.

We met up Friday morning and headed out east to start the trail. Our first stop was for breakfast at the historic Bagdad Cafe in Newberry Springs.

image.jpg

After a creepy breakfast which consisted of tang, biscuits and gravy and an attempted robbery we continued on our way east along Highway 40.

image.jpg

Gassing up at the Avi Casnio

image.jpg

At the trailhead airing down along the Colorado River

DSC_0712.JPG

First stop was Some abandoned buildings we saw. There was a couple other groups there so we made the stop quick.

DSC_0713.JPG
DSC_0717.JPG
DSC_0716.JPG

Next, Fort Piute

DSC_0729.JPG
DSC_0723.JPG

The long road ahead

DSC_0732.JPG

Working our way up the and out of the canyon

image.jpg

Next stop was the school bus

DSC_0737.JPG

Some lunch for the kids

DSC_0740.JPG

The block was about all that was left

DSC_0739.JPG

DSC_0748.JPG

Continuing on our way we made it to Penny Can Tree and all dropped in our pennies

DSC_0762.JPG

Further ahead we made it to the homestead of Bert G. Smith and amazingly it is in great shape for being 80 years old

DSC_0770.JPG
DSC_0774.JPG

View from the porch

DSC_0777.JPG

Continued below with day 2

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Day 2 started with the Government holes

DSC_0789.JPG

DSC_0801.JPG

Then we drove to the Kelso Train Depot

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

And had a banana milkshake

image.jpg

Continuing South we made it to the Kelso Singing Sand Dunes

DSC_0806.JPG

Back on the Mojave Road we made a stop at Marl Springs

DSC_0808.JPG
DSC_0809.JPG

Next was the Mojave Road Mailbox where we all signed in

DSC_0814.JPG

and found some toads

DSC_0815.JPG

The highlight of the trip for all of us was the lava tubes. Pretty cool experience and the pictures don't do it justice.

DSC_0828.JPG
DSC_0832.JPG
DSC_0837.JPG
DSC_0838.JPG

After the lava tubes we were headed to Soda Dry Lake but before we could make it I hit a rock doing 65 and put a slash in my sidewall.

image.jpg

After the change we crossed Soda Dry Lake and made it to the Travelers Monument where we all placed a rock. ttfhell was first

DSC_0855.JPG

Last edited:

crowrb29

Great pics. On my list of places to go this winter. Next time you guys head up that way let me know. It's right near my neck of the woods.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Looking across the lake bed

DSC_0863.JPG

DSC_0864.JPG

Camp for the second night

DSC_0880.JPG

Some refreshments

image.jpg

Coming out of Afton Canyon on the morning of Day 3 we crossed under the train tracks

DSC_0885.JPG
DSC_0892.JPG

Then about 1/2 mile from the finish ttfhell ran out of gas

image.jpg

So Drew made the trek into town to get some for him. After we got Russ moving we all aired up and headed in two separate directions anticipating the next event. 11 miles from the end of the trail and 8 miles until town I ran out of gas as well.

Frank and I waiting for ttfhell and Drew to bring us gas

image.jpg

After getting 1.5 gallons I made it to the gas station and still put 17.7 gallons in my 18 gallon tank. :crazyeyes:

image.jpg

Thats all the pictures I have hopefully the others have some to add.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome trip report! Looks like you all had a great time - wish I could have been there.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Great pics. On my list of places to go this winter. Next time you guys head up that way let me know. It's right near my neck of the woods.

Looks like a good time  someone will be happy franks rig got dirty lol

It was fun for sure! And we most certainly gave Frank crap for his dirty rig. :thumb:

Awesome trip report! Looks like you all had a great time - wish I could have been there.

Wish you guys could have made it. It was a blast.

The water coming out of Afton Canyon was really deep! The first ones wasn't too bad but the second was up to my doors.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Wish you guys could have made it. It was a blast.

I really wanted to, believe me. This weekend was just too busy. :grayno:

The water coming out of Afton Canyon was really deep! The first ones wasn't too bad but the second was up to my doors.

That's really good to hear. Sounds like it's back to the way it used to be.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
This trip was a blast. Thanks putting this together Overlander.

And if anyone is wondering how much water the storage tub in the rear of your Jeep will hold. PM me. Lol.

JAGS

Hooked
That looks like a great trip guys! 👍 I've been wanting to find a weekend trip. Will have to keep this in mind for the future.

- Jason

Top Bottom