To wait or not wait for 2016 diesel

Helipilot2

I am sure many people will face this tough decision of what to do when looking to buy a jeep. I have searched and not found a thread. What would you suggest when it comes to buying a JKU? Wait for the end of 2015 to buy the new Jeep Wrangler with new colors, trims, and most important the diesel engine OR buy your common V6 JKU because you want to get on the trail with everyone and start your offroad adventure?

Reason behind this post is I have been patiently waiting to buy a jeep until I land my new job which should be coming at the end of this year. Now that I have heard the diesel is in the near future my eyes have turned towards it. I will be working 2 weeks on 2 weeks off which means lot of free time and jeep weekends with you guys! :rock:

IDEAS:
Used JKU to save some money and build it quicker than a new jeep
OR
wait another 2 years :banghead: spend a lot of money for a new jeep and upgrades will be slower to come

StrizzyChris

Just IMHO there's always a certain "member" measuring stick when it comes to engine envy. Who doesn't want more power?! I may be old at heart, or just too damn cheap, but the extreme added cost of the engine, combined with the added stress/wear and tear on the drivetrain = a second jeep just in cost. Not to mention the fact that diesel is so damn expensive any more that you don't really get the savings from the couple extra MPGs.

I say get her now and start living it up....you'll have envy when it comes out, but your wallet for mods will be happy.

crowrb29

I get pretty good eco from my 3.6 and here even premium is about 45 cents cheaper than diesel. I think if you buy a 12 or newer jeep you'll still be pretty impressed. I have had no issues with speed or torque. Honestly some of the stuff my rig has gone over stock has simply amazed me. Granted there are other advantages to a well designed diesel like engine longevity, fuel longevity, and the ability to use alternate fuel sources in a pinch.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i say go and get a 12+ rig now and dont wait. build it the way you like and wheel it! i dont see a point in waiting :twocents:

kyle521

get a high mileage 2007 jku for around 12k then put in an ls and new axles for the price that a diesel will be

seanb123

This is the process i am dealing with currently only slightly different. I have an 08 right now it has about 70k and almost paid off my plan is to get the diesel and pull the jeep to where it needs to go. If you really want a jeep now you could get an older jk and do what I'm doing. Might not be ideal for everyone but for me it makes sense at this moment

Helipilot2

That is my second decision. If I don't wait for the diesel do I go with a '12 or newer or save even more money by going '07ish. I know I am going to want to swap the axles out so to me that means I pretty much want to go base model so I don't pay for the extras that I won't be keeping.

I won't be buying this very moment but I have been itching for months now ever since I had to sell my fully built Cherokee. As long as all goes well at the end of the year I hope to make a JKU my birthday present in February

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Rebel JK

Im with strizz and kyle on this one. I would get in the game now on something less expensive. If it really kills you to run one of the "commoners" rigs You can always sell it in a couple years if you need to upgrade. Just think about that first big dent or the pinstripes on that shiny new 015!!

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
Im with strizz and kyle on this one. I would get in the game now on something less expensive. If it really kills you to run one of the "commoners" rigs You can always sell it in a couple years if you need to upgrade. Just think about that first big dent or the pinstripes on that shiny new 015!!

X2 for me. I want a good diesel so much for the torque, but I wouldn't wait 'til 2015. Buy what you want now and enjoy! The Pentstar is a great engine compared to the 3.8 and has not let me down on or off road, including pulling small trailers.:yup:

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Just IMHO there's always a certain "member" measuring stick when it comes to engine envy. Who doesn't want more power?! I may be old at heart, or just too damn cheap, but the extreme added cost of the engine, combined with the added stress/wear and tear on the drivetrain = a second jeep just in cost. Not to mention the fact that diesel is so damn expensive any more that you don't really get the savings from the couple extra MPGs.

I say get her now and start living it up....you'll have envy when it comes out, but your wallet for mods will be happy.

I agree as well. You are only depriving yourself by not having one now.

Top Bottom