Coilover vs. Coil Spring lift

DiggaDon

I may be delving wayyyy deeper than I'm looking to here -- but that's fine, the more information the better.

I'm going to be ordering a '14 JKU Rubi in the coming months and I've already been starting my wishlist/things-to-do list -- the problem here is that I don't know if a coilover lift should be on the 'to-do' or the 'wish' side.

From what I can tell, a coilover lift is more expensive all the way around, which may just end the discussion entirely seeing as I'm just an average Joe with average Joe money. (what does a coilover kit run all things said and done?)

So to start:

I want to run 37" tires someday, the kind of offroading that I do isn't anything that you see coming from the wayalife youtube account (although, I'd like it to be), unfortunately I live in the North East. However, I've heard that Coilover kits provide an exceptional ride, which with a standard coil spring lift kit i've found -- leaves something to be desired, it could just be the struts though. Regardless, it leaves something in place that can be built off of.

I heard EVO makes a bolt on kit -- I don't know how difficult that is to install vs. a standard coil spring lift, I've installed the latter myself and it seems that they only sell front end and rear end, you can't purchase both in one kit. Which again leads me back to the thought of price.

Lots of questions -- can anyone fill in the gaps? I'm sure that as this thread goes on, it'll lead to more questions... if not from me, from others.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Based on what I'm hearing from you, the EVO Enforcer kit (traditional coil lift) will serve you just fine.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
coming from a fellow east coaster i would say put the coilovers on the wish list. as nice as they are we dont do the high speed stuff they are really ment for. if you want a really nice ride i would look at the enforcer lift the EVO offers. i hear its a great ride and very comparable to the bolt on coilovers in ride quality. yes you lose the extra droop the coilovers have but you retain the same type of ride quality. (i have no experience with coilovers or the enforcer lift just going off of what i have heard).

DiggaDon

Based on what I'm hearing from you, the EVO Enforcer kit (traditional coil lift) will serve you just fine.

How much can I be looking to spend on that kit? -- I mean, Rock Krawler is literally in my back yard up here, they're even a sponsor to the JK club that I'm in.

I still would like the other questions answered simply for knowledge purposes.

I too asked the same question in a pm to another member about this. Their response was if I want to drive fast on a dirt road which is wash boarded then coil overs is the way to go. I am looking at the Double D lift from EVO with the plush coils and Bilstien shocks. It is a bolt on kit and will allow later on to put the bolt on coil overs. This is what is on RUBICAT. Be mindful if you go above 3 inches after market driveshafts will be needed. If you search the threads you can find a lot about lifts and read inputs from a lot of members.

Coil overs does allow you to adjust your ride height and gives you more articulations.

DiggaDon

I too asked the same question in a pm to another member about this. Their response was if I want to drive fast on a dirt road which is wash boarded then coil overs is the way to go. I am looking at the Double D lift from EVO with the plush coils and Bilstien shocks. It is a bolt on kit and will allow later on to put the bolt on coil overs. This is what is on RUBICAT. Be mindful if you go above 3 inches after market driveshafts will be needed. If you search the threads you can find a lot about lifts and read inputs from a lot of members.

Coil overs does allow you to adjust your ride height and gives you more articulations.

You see? this is what I mean -- it's hard to argue against the articulation you'll get from coilovers! Granted I may not need it, but I'm thinking down the road I'll likely (read: hopefully) upgrade.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

FuriousDz

I have the RK 3.5 and its is a nice kit, I dont really have any complaints BUT after reading up and asking a lot of questions here if I could do it over I would have probably saved up a little more and went with the EVO bolt-on coilover kit. To me while I dont live out west and play as hard as a lot of the guys here its the best of everything. On-road ride, off-road articulation and just overall better handling on your rig.

So needless to say I will be going that route when my budget allows. Like Eddie mentioned though you most likely wont need everything a coilover kit will offer BUT if you're like me and want the best out there you'll probably wish you went that route somewhere down the line.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How much can I be looking to spend on that kit? -- I mean, Rock Krawler is literally in my back yard up here, they're even a sponsor to the JK club that I'm in.

I still would like the other questions answered simply for knowledge purposes.

The link posted up will get you the price for the Enforcer kit but, you should know that it is not necessary to get it with King shocks. If you just get it with a set of Bilstein 5100's or Rancho 7000 MT's, you are out to save a lot of money. IMHO, the comfort and quality of the EVO plush ride coils are superior to any other standard coil available.

DiggaDon

The link posted up will get you the price for the Enforcer kit but, you should know that it is not necessary to get it with King shocks. If you just get it with a set of Bilstein 5100's or Rancho 7000 MT's, you are out to save a lot of money. IMHO, the comfort and quality of the EVO plush ride coils are superior to any other standard coil available.

I've ridden in a few trucks with Bilstein 5100's, I've heard not great things about them in regards to installation, but the on-road experience is pretty nice. Good to know about the coils though. Would you say that I should just go that route and keep the plush coils?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
i have a teraflex lift and i run the bilsteins. the bilsteins are a good ride when paired with the stiffer teraflex coils. when paired with the plush ride coils im sure they make it a great ride

1yellowjk

I've ridden in a few trucks with Bilstein 5100's, I've heard not great things about them in regards to installation, but the on-road experience is pretty nice. Good to know about the coils though. Would you say that I should just go that route and keep the plush coils?

?? It's a normal shock.....nothing hard about the install. I ran them on my 4 dr and loved them.

mrmet1983

I have the Evo enforcer kit and love it, I wanted coil overs as well but being in NY I know I won't use them as they are meant to be used. Having said that if u want that super high quality shock just go with king 2.5s with the enforcer kit those are the shocks I will be getting very soon

I don't always wheel , but when I do I keep it tight......... Stay dirty my friends.

Sithwindu

The only somewhat "problem" I had with installing the bilstiens is at the top of the shock you gotta put a Allen wrench in while turning the button but when righting the shock on upper mount (had to chip away at the plastic above mount to fit the Allen wrench)

Beyrgut

I had to chip away at front with my Fox w/res as well. Not really a big deal just nice to know ahead of time. Its a lot easier to triim that area up when installing the lift and the old components are removed. Really nothing some snips and a dremel can't make short work of.

Just cut out all the honeycomb stuff in this area.
DSC00939-10x7.jpg

cboggs

I have the DoubleD long arm with the 5100's and couldnt be happier about the ride. Do I wish I had coil overs, yes, who doesnt want coil overs, but thats on the wish list and is really not needed which is why I havent felt the need to buy them yet. I would get the Enforcer or the DoubleD for your needs and plan on a new front driveshaft at the same time.

Angry Aussie

If you plan on ordering the double d kit then be prepared to wait. I ordered mine six weeks ago and still haven't gotten it yet. I've got a room full or parts and tires for my lift but still no kit yet. Just a heads up be prepared to wait for that double d kit.

Top Bottom