Evo RockSliders...to paint or not to paint. That is the question!

Hey gang...I'm planning on getting the 4Dr Evo RockSliders for my JK pretty soon. I realized I could save $200 if I bought them in raw steel and potentially painted them myself.

Any thoughts or recommendations for a noob??

FuriousDz

Painting as in a color or just black?

Ive seen 1 rig with them painted and it looked pretty cool actually I just dont know how it would hold up if you're actually using them.

Like someone else mentioned go with an etching primer and bedliner in a can, easy to touch up :yup:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
I use Rustolium flat black. No hassles - no hangups. It seems to me that bed liner would look like hell once you started using the sliders and need to touch them up. :twocents:

I use Rustolium flat black. No hassles - no hangups. It seems to me that bed liner would look like hell once you started using the sliders and need to touch them up. :twocents:

Depends on brand... The Rustoleum Truck-Bed Liner Blends absolutely awesome (But it isn't as thick and textured as the other ones). This is what I use. I had to touch up a heavy scratch on a tube fender, a little sanding and spraying and it never happened. :thumb:

Rebel JK

Used bedliner on mine and it worked out great. Time came to touch em up and I didnt have bedliner in the garage so I used flat rusteo and again looked good. Dont think I'll bother with the bedliner again mostly because my kid mixed up the plastidip with the bedliner spray on his f150 doing some custom black out on the emblems. :doh:

Give them a good wash before the primer? Or should anything else be done?

Wipe with thinner VERY well. There will be some oils left on the metal from the mil and from mfg. It all has to be removed. I also like to scratch the surface with 400 sand paper or scour pad. Then clean again. Once all the oils are off avoid touching the metal with your bare hands. Surface rust will start almost immediately so once clean they need to be primed the same day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

I got mine painted, but not very impressed with the Evo powder coating. I think I only paid $60 or something. I heard Evo isn't going to do powder coating anymore, so assume the $200 is to have them done somewhere. If it really is $200, then I agree with the others and say rattle can it, especially if you plan on using them.

Thanks team! Much appreciated. On the Evo site it's $200 less for raw steel so that's where my savings came into mind.

I know Rustoleum was mentioned but are there other brands I should investigate?

Top Bottom