99 grand cherokee

jkpete

I my brother in law is looking for a decent little 4x4 SUV. He likes the Cherokees and has been looking. He has noticed that the 99 grand Cherokee is cheaper than the previous generation and even the Sam vintage regular Cherokees. Can some one explain this to me? Is it because of the all time 4wheel drive?

no explanation. both generations have had the all time 4wd, both had the same I6 engine, and both had the same axles. only difference is the earlier generation v8's where 5.9 or 5.2 and the 99 and up are 4.7 and 4.7ho.

CerOf

They do not all have the same axles.

The ZJ and WJ have same D30 up front; however, the tierod and draglink configuration is different on WJ. (Superior if you ask me.)

Rear axle on 93-98 ZJ was a D35c. The '98 ZJ 5.9 got the rear D44 HD (aluminum) I believe. The WJ runs the D44HD (aluminum) out back. Has a bit thicker ring gear and perhaps larger bearings? My memory is not so great on the Grands anymore.

D44HD is quite strong, but few locker options outside I the factory tracklok or varilock. It is the same center section found in older vipers and some corvettes I think.

Aluminum center section with metal tubes pressed in.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Evilxj85

I know I'm coming in on this really late but some of the info given out here is not correct. The 0331 heads on the 99+ 4.0 are know for cracking and giving bad head gasket symptoms. All xj, zj, mj, tj, and lj front axles are set up the same, as in they are interchangeable, even the tj, lj rubicon front 30/44( 30 outers 44 diff). The wj is not the same. The axles are something like 3" wider. And they started putting the 44a in the zj in 96 with the 5.2 not just the 5.9.

Last edited:

CerOf

I know I'm coming in on this really late but some of the info given out here is not correct. The 0331 heads on the 99+ 4.0 are know for cracking and giving bad head gasket symptoms. All xj, zj, mj, tj, and lj front axles are set up the same, as in they are interchangeable, even the tj, lj rubicon front 30/44( 30 outers 44 diff). The wj is not the same. The axles are something like 3" wider. And they started putting the 44a in the zj in 96 with the 5.2 not just the 5.9.

I don't believe you are 100% correct in the front axles. Some axles on the XJ are high pinion. Not sure at all on the MJ, TJ or LJ. All ZJs were low pinion D30 as are all the D30 fronts in the WJ. The front springs are same ID and OD between the XJ, TJ, and ZJ. The lbs of each vehicles springs are different with the V8 ZJ springs having the highest (stiffest rating). I think the brackets for upper and lower control arms are slightly different too. I had looked in to swapping my old ZJ's LP D30 to an
HPD30, but required some cutting and welding which I was not prepared to do. The reverse cut gears would have been stronger for larger tires when in drive. Ended up trading it for an '02 WJ.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.

Evilxj85

Yes their are hp30 and lp30 but they are all the same configurations there is no cutting and welding. U can take a xj hpd30 and put it in a zj with a lpd30. A friend and I have done this a couple of times. The wj is a completely different axle. Spring purches and control arm mounts are in different locations. I have owned 3 xj's 2 zj's and 2 wj's all of which I have had lift kits on. And I guess if u want to get technical the used a vacuum disconnect d30 in the 80s and in the early 90s which I don't think will work in later years unless u swap out other parts. But that axle is weaker.

The 5.2 in the Grand was an amazing engine. Never had any issues with mine. And it is true that the aluminum 44 was available in 96-98 models.

MoonyJohn

Im not entirely sure why they are cheaper, maybe they arent as desirable in your area? I just bought a 04 with the 4.0 and 242. Ive had a 2000 with the 4.7 and it was the biggest headache ive ever had. Had good power, but that was all that was good about it. The first one lasted 213k miles and then the rebuild lasted 10k, it was covered under warranty so we got it rebuilt again and it blew up 15k later. Stay away from the 4.7. The quadradrive was a good TC, never had any issues with it, but i personally like the option of 2wd. So when I was looking for my next wj, I made sure of the 4.0. Almost all problems I had were in connection to the Limited 4.7 models. The heater core for dual climate control is something that goes out on almost every WJ around 100k miles (where it blows cold out one side and hot out the other, and its a huge PITA to fix). Also my D44A was howling at 200k miles. Not sure from what but it just didnt last. I bet a D35 would have lasted longer. But the 44a is something that comes with the 4.7.

Anyways, if your looking around.. Id recommend a WJ over a cherokee, and look for the 4.0. The newer the year the better IMO

Top Bottom