Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 grand cherokee

99 grand cherokee

I my brother in law is looking for a decent little 4x4 SUV. He likes the Cherokees and has been looking. He has noticed that the 99 grand Cherokee is cheaper than the previous generation and even the Sam vintage regular Cherokees. Can some one explain this to me? Is it because of the all time 4wheel drive?

Been Around the Block
    no explanation. both generations have had the all time 4wd, both had the same I6 engine, and both had the same axles. only difference is the earlier generation v8's where 5.9 or 5.2 and the 99 and up are 4.7 and 4.7ho.
    Built up WJ with rubicon stickers just trying to fit in

Interesting. I will have to let him know.

the 99 I-6 is known for cracking the heads.

Quote Originally Posted by redpatchjeff View Post
    the 99 I-6 is known for cracking the heads.
    No it's not. The exhaust manifold on the inline 6 is known for cracking, but that's all 4.0s from every model of every year of every Jeep, not just the 99 WJ.
    08 JKU Rubi

Sold: 99 TJ, 07 JKU, 97 ZJ, 91 MJ, 87 YJ

It is an expensive mud slogging, sand throwing, snowmobile with a heater, convertable toy that as a bonus happens to provide daily transportation.

Hooked
    They do not all have the same axles.

The ZJ and WJ have same D30 up front; however, the tierod and draglink configuration is different on WJ. (Superior if you ask me.)

Rear axle on 93-98 ZJ was a D35c. The '98 ZJ 5.9 got the rear D44 HD (aluminum) I believe. The WJ runs the D44HD (aluminum) out back. Has a bit thicker ring gear and perhaps larger bearings? My memory is not so great on the Grands anymore.

D44HD is quite strong, but few locker options outside I the factory tracklok or varilock. It is the same center section found in older vipers and some corvettes I think.

Aluminum center section with metal tubes pressed in.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.
    '09 JKU
    3.5" AEV w/flip
    RR w/ BFG M/T 33s
    Some other stuff too

I know I'm coming in on this really late but some of the info given out here is not correct. The 0331 heads on the 99+ 4.0 are know for cracking and giving bad head gasket symptoms. All xj, zj, mj, tj, and lj front axles are set up the same, as in they are interchangeable, even the tj, lj rubicon front 30/44( 30 outers 44 diff). The wj is not the same. The axles are something like 3" wider. And they started putting the 44a in the zj in 96 with the 5.2 not just the 5.9.
    Last edited by Evilxj85; 08-04-2014 at 02:05 AM.

Hooked
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilxj85 View Post
    I know I'm coming in on this really late but some of the info given out here is not correct. The 0331 heads on the 99+ 4.0 are know for cracking and giving bad head gasket symptoms. All xj, zj, mj, tj, and lj front axles are set up the same, as in they are interchangeable, even the tj, lj rubicon front 30/44( 30 outers 44 diff). The wj is not the same. The axles are something like 3" wider. And they started putting the 44a in the zj in 96 with the 5.2 not just the 5.9.
    I don't believe you are 100% correct in the front axles. Some axles on the XJ are high pinion. Not sure at all on the MJ, TJ or LJ. All ZJs were low pinion D30 as are all the D30 fronts in the WJ. The front springs are same ID and OD between the XJ, TJ, and ZJ. The lbs of each vehicles springs are different with the V8 ZJ springs having the highest (stiffest rating). I think the brackets for upper and lower control arms are slightly different too. I had looked in to swapping my old ZJ's LP D30 to an
    HPD30, but required some cutting and welding which I was not prepared to do. The reverse cut gears would have been stronger for larger tires when in drive. Ended up trading it for an '02 WJ.

Sent from a a few tin cans and some string.
    '09 JKU
    3.5" AEV w/flip
    RR w/ BFG M/T 33s
    Some other stuff too

Yes their are hp30 and lp30 but they are all the same configurations there is no cutting and welding. U can take a xj hpd30 and put it in a zj with a lpd30. A friend and I have done this a couple of times. The wj is a completely different axle. Spring purches and control arm mounts are in different locations. I have owned 3 xj's 2 zj's and 2 wj's all of which I have had lift kits on. And I guess if u want to get technical the used a vacuum disconnect d30 in the 80s and in the early 90s which I don't think will work in later years unless u swap out other parts. But that axle is weaker.

Knows a Thing or Two tastethebeast's Avatar
    The 5.2 in the Grand was an amazing engine. Never had any issues with mine. And it is true that the aluminum 44 was available in 96-98 models.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast