Water leak?!?

Angry Aussie

Hey guys I've noticed the past two times I've cleaned out the jeep there has been a good amount of water underneath my driver side floor mat. I haven't been off road or in any water since I've noticed this. I can't see any hole underneath that side of the jeep. Has anyone had this happen or have any idea where this water could be coming from? Thanks for you help

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Hey guys I've noticed the past two times I've cleaned out the jeep there has been a good amount of water underneath my driver side floor mat. I haven't been off road or in any water since I've noticed this. I can't see any hole underneath that side of the jeep. Has anyone had this happen or have any idea where this water could be coming from? Thanks for you help

it could be a leak in your top. i have heard with the hard tops if you screw them down to tight it can happen

Angry Aussie

I had it completely dried out last night and again this morning there was just as much water as last night. It's raining in Austin but just barley not enought to have it come up from underneath the car.

Angry Aussie

it could be a leak in your top. i have heard with the hard tops if you screw them down to tight it can happen

Wouldn't there be water on the dash or steering wheel somewhere wouldn't I be able so see evidence of it leaking from the top

MTG

Caught the Bug
Check the seal at the A-pillar. A couple things actually 1) make sure the header gasket is clean. You might also throw some silicon on it. 2) If you have a hard top, make sure the little flap towards the outside of the jeep near the a-pillar is not folded over. It is really easy to do when putting on the the freedom panels. I'd snap a pic but I'm not near my jeep.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Wouldn't there be water on the dash or steering wheel somewhere wouldn't I be able so see evidence of it leaking from the top

nope. my soft top on the passenger side leaks. it seems like it ends up running down the inside of the door or the plastic window surrounds and works its way down to my floor as well. there is never any evidence of it leaking on the door, windows, etc. only way i see it is when i put my hand on it and feel it. its usually after a storm on the heavier side of things

Angry Aussie

Thank you y'all's input, so I had time to check the seal on the hard top and it's fine not bent or anything last time the freedom panels were off. I pulled the plastic on the a pillar and no evidence there. I won't get a chance to do a water test myself till tonight. Now I have a few places to look that I would have never thought of. Thanks again for y'all's help. I'll let you know if I figure anything out tonight.

concarne

Thank you y'all's input, so I had time to check the seal on the hard top and it's fine not bent or anything last time the freedom panels were off. I pulled the plastic on the a pillar and no evidence there. I won't get a chance to do a water test myself till tonight. Now I have a few places to look that I would have never thought of. Thanks again for y'all's help. I'll let you know if I figure anything out tonight.

I'll be curious to see what you find. My wife said she found some water on the windshield side of the two freedom panels on ours. Since she mentioned it, I haven't seen anything thing. I do tend to screw it down kinda tight. I guess I can watch that..

Angry Aussie

Alright quick update, I dropped the jeep off yesterday morning and just spoke to the stealership. So this leak is a common thing and it usually comes from 3 or 4 main spots usually a quick fix but mine is a different story. Mine wasn't leaking from any of those main spots but , they know water is pouring in there's no debate there. They think it's a body seam somewhere between the firewall and windshield. They have my windshield out and many other panels as well. They seem confident they will find it and fix it but not sure how long it will take them to fix it. I'll let y'all know when they find out where it's coming in.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I had this happen to me at the begining of the year. Lots of rain, I would always fing my drivers side floor liner floating. No water in the floor liner, just in the footwell underneath it. Doing research on it is actually how I stumbbled upon this site. All I ended up doing is cleaning the seals around the door, and re seating the sunrider top after making sure it was clean. Hasnt been an issue since, no idea if it was related or sheer coincidence. Glad they are getting yours fixed, it can get frusterating stepping in more water in the Jeep than outside!

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Alright quick update, I dropped the jeep off yesterday morning and just spoke to the stealership. So this leak is a common thing and it usually comes from 3 or 4 main spots usually a quick fix but mine is a different story. Mine wasn't leaking from any of those main spots but , they know water is pouring in there's no debate there. They think it's a body seam somewhere between the firewall and windshield. They have my windshield out and many other panels as well. They seem confident they will find it and fix it but not sure how long it will take them to fix it. I'll let y'all know when they find out where it's coming in.

My friends had the same problem with their Jeep and went round and round with the stealership.....they'd say they fixed the problem then it would rain and the puddle of water would be back....finally they found the problem.....rain run off was entering the cowl area between the wipers by the windshield and back up inside and then leak into the cab through the body seam gasket (This is how it was explained to them by the factory rep who was there)........They fixed the gap in the gasket and it's been dry as a bone since........I've had mine checked and it's been given a thumbs up so doesn't look like I'll be having any issue with that in the future.

Stay dry ;)

Woodrow

Last edited:

Angry Aussie

My friends had the same problem with their Jeep and went round and round with the stealership.....they'd say they fixed the problem then it would rain and the puddle of water would be back....finally they found the problem.....rain run off was entering the cowl area between the wipers by the windshield and back up inside and then leak into the cab through the body seam gasket (This is how it was explained to them by the factory rep who was there)........They fixed the gap in the gasket and it's been dry as a bone since........I've had mine checked and it's been given a thumbs up so doesn't look like I'll be having any issue with that in the future.

Stay dry ;)

Woodrow

Sounds exactly like mine. They had my windshield out yesterday trying to find the trouble area.

Top Bottom