Death Wobble

CaliCrusher

So I experienced the death wobble for the first time tonight. It was quite startling. The wife was pretty frightened by the whole experience.

Luckily I've read a little about it on WAL, so I figured that's what was going on at the time of the incident.

It's odd that I would get it so soon. I have a 2012 with 24000 miles and I've only wheeled it 4 times in the 3 months I've owned it.

I guess the obvious move is to hit up Eddie's check list and see if that fixes it. If not, I guess I have to put it in the shop.
We'll see...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer. Unfortunately, I have seen it occur on brand new Jeeps that have had lifts installed on them and I myself have seen it happen on one of my JK's in as little as 5,000 miles. If I could guess, you might just have a loose track bar bolt but yes, please do go through my checklist as I can assure you that your problem will reside in one of them.

CaliCrusher

Bummer. Unfortunately, I have seen it occur on brand new Jeeps that have had lifts installed on them and I myself have seen it happen on one of my JK's in as little as 5,000 miles. If I could guess, you might just have a loose track bar bolt but yes, please do go through my checklist as I can assure you that your problem will reside in one of them.

Yeah this my first jeep and I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'm learning a lot on your forum, so thanks.

I did Miller jeep trail two weeks ago and there are a couple of rough spots there that may have loosened up track bar bolt. I'll check it out in the morning.

Thanks for putting out all the great FREE info for guys like me to soak up.

Had I not read about death wobble prior to experiencing it, I would have reacted a lot differently.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah this my first jeep and I don't know a whole lot about them, but I'm learning a lot on your forum, so thanks.

I did Miller jeep trail two weeks ago and there are a couple of rough spots there that may have loosened up track bar bolt. I'll check it out in the morning.

Thanks for putting out all the great FREE info for guys like me to soak up.

Had I not read about death wobble prior to experiencing it, I would have reacted a lot differently.

nothing will loosen up bolts more than a good wheeling trip. In fact, it's not uncommon for at least one guy to have DW right after a run on the Rubicon. I would definitely give the track bar bolt a look as it is VERY COMMON for it to loosen up and give you grief.

David1tontj

nothing will loosen up bolts more than a good wheeling trip. In fact, it's not uncommon for at least one guy to have DW right after a run on the Rubicon. I would definitely give the track bar bolt a look as it is VERY COMMON for it to loosen up and give you grief.

Where is the death wobble checklist?

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I should note that on a TJ, the steering setup is a bit different and because of it, it is VERY COMMON to see a LOT more toe-in after installing a lift and that can give you grief. On a TJ, that's where I would start. 2nd, the track bar bolt is a lot smaller on a TJ and requires a lot less torque on tightening - it too can come loose. Also, if the ball joint on the frame mount is worn out, that'll give you DW too. If you have an aftermarket track bar, the frame side mount typically gets drilled out and if the new bolt isn't tightened to the proper torque setting, the hole can get wollowed out.

CaliCrusher

So the track bar bolts are tight, maybe it's the bearings. I may be able to get them replaced under warranty since the lift and tires were done by the dealership. If not, it would be nice to find a reputable off-road shop in LA (not 4 wheel parts).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So the track bar bolts are tight, maybe it's the bearings. I may be able to get them replaced under warranty since the lift and tires were done by the dealership. If not, it would be nice to find a reputable off-road shop in LA (not 4 wheel parts).

Well, if it isn't the ball joints, it very well could be your unit bearings. Your dealership should help you out especially if you're still stock. Both should be easy enough for them to check out.

David1tontj

I should note that on a TJ, the steering setup is a bit different and because of it, it is VERY COMMON to see a LOT more toe-in after installing a lift and that can give you grief. On a TJ, that's where I would start. 2nd, the track bar bolt is a lot smaller on a TJ and requires a lot less torque on tightening - it too can come loose. Also, if the ball joint on the frame mount is worn out, that'll give you DW too. If you have an aftermarket track bar, the frame side mount typically gets drilled out and if the new bolt isn't tightened to the proper torque setting, the hole can get wollowed out.

I haven't got the death wobble yet after my swap, but I just wanted to see that list for preventative maintenance. :)

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom