Electric Guru's please help.

steve_r2

Hi all,
Need some thoughts/help.
I have a dual battery system (Painless Digital Dual Battery kit) with 2 auxiliary 12v power
sockets in the back (one dual USB and a 12v cigarette style socket).
The reason I had these put in was primarily for charging and running my fridge (Waeco CF 50)
Now I plugged my fridge in for a weekend of camping/driving and it started flickering cut out came back on a couple of times then completely stopped. No power going to the fridge/socket
Plugged the fridge into the socket in my dashboard powered up and all was good and cold ones were available for the weekend.
So on the off chance I plugged the fridge in this morning to the dodgy socket and the bloody thing powered up.
As I am absolutely crap at electrics some suggestions please.
All auxiliary equipment goes off the second battery (Optima Yellow Top) winch,other power sockets which all work fine btw.
It has been working on a couple of day drives with no problems beforehand
So could it be:
a)The battery (its a month old) but everything else seems to work fine off it
b)The power cable is not thick enough for the current draw for the fridge
c) Purely a loose connection (not had a chance to investigate this thoroughly)
d) Anything else I should be investigating.
Thanks
Steve

Army_Vet

Banned
C sounds like the only logical answer

Trace it from start to finish. could be loose at any splice or junction. Loose ground wires in that circuit as well; don't forget to check them...

David1tontj

My bet is that you need a heavier wire... I've had the exact same problem running accessories... Sometimes they work, mostly if the rig is running, but if it has say for any amount if time and the voltage drops at all, it's not enough to run the accessory (because of your voltage drop in the length of the wire, it needs to be thicker)

It could very well still be a loose connection or bad ground, but to me it sounds like the gauge of the wire..

Good luck, and keep us posted

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Top Bottom