Chrysler will void your engine warranty if you use their mopar cold air intake!

ttfhell

I thought it best to inform everyone of what I'm dealing with currently as result of using the Mopar Cold Air Intake that was installed by an authorized Jeep dealer. I'm hoping anyone thinking of buying this intake will take a hard look before making their decision.

My check engine light came and went into limp mode on 9–21 with 19,520 miles. I made an appointment and took it to Jeep Chrysler Dodge of Ontario on 9-26. The dealer stated the jeep was 3.5 quarts low on oil. This was a surprise as I checked it a few weeks before on 8-31 for JKX and it was good. This was also about 4700 miles since the last oil change. The dealer changed the oil and cleared the code.

On 10-18 I went on a trip on the Mojave Trail. On the second day the engine light came on again and went into limp mode. The mileage was at 20,305 miles. We checked the oil and had to add 3-1/2 quarts. I cleared the code to get it out of limp mode and it was good for the rest of the trip. This was a big surprise as it was only about 700 miles since the previous oil change by the dealer.

I made an appointment and took it back in on 11-4 and told them the problem. I received a call later that day and was told the throttle body was very dirty and the engine ingested dirt causing internal damage and needs to be replaced. I was also told that I ran my jeep without an air cleaner for some time for it to be that dirty. WTF! In all my life I've never ran a car, motorcycle, or jet ski, without an air cleaner. I was told it would be easier to explain in person.

I went to the dealer after work to take a look. The service writer walked me to my jeep and explained that there was dirt in the engine and must've be caused by the air cleaner being off. I told him it has never been ran or started without an air cleaner. He grabbed a screwdriver to take off the tube and show me the inside of the throttle body. He loosened the two clamps and tried to take it off, as it doesn't come off easily I had to help him pull it up and off. Inside the throttle body the walls were brown and dirty. I asked the service writer if the intake was loose when they looked at it and he said no.

I asked to speak to the service manager. He was already aware of the issue with my jeep. He had called the local warranty rep and showed him the picture of the throttle body and the rep denied the repair. The service manager then called the regional zone rep who also denied the repair. The service manager said he couldn't replace the engine without Chrysler approval as it would be approximately $6500.

I asked the service manager if the Mopar air cleaner, which is under warranty and was installed by a Chrysler dealer, was defective couldn't this be the cause? He said I had a valid argument. The Mopar warranty clearly states that if a Mopar part installed by an authorized dealer causes other parts to be damage those parts are also covered. I asked to speak to the GM and the service manager said I could but the answer would be the same as the approval would have to come from Chrysler. I asked him where do I go to get approval. He gave me the number for the Chrysler customer help line. He said it may or may not help. I asked him if not then what was my next course of action, he said small claims court.

I called their customer support line spoke to a rep named Harper. I explained the problem in detail and was told a case manager would be giving me call within a business day. He verified that there was now a restriction on the repair. The next day I received an email as well as a voicemail from Gabby at Chrysler. I returned the call and left a message. I received a call back the next day.

I explained the problem in detail. I told her that this was my first jeep and I was disappointed that after 20,000 miles I was having theses issues and this was the Chrysler response. I told her that it is a Jeep and is made to be driven in the dirt. I told her that I never ran it without an air cleaner as it would be like driving without a tire. She agreed and seemed genuinely interested in helping.

I informed her that I have all the receipts for oil changes, tire rotations etc, as well they were all done way ahead of the Jeep recommended intervals. I also made sure she knew that the intake was dealer installed and that I knew the Mopar warranty for a defective part covered any parts it damaged. I also politely told her I would go to the Better Business Bureau as well as small claims court to resolve this if it was denied. There was no way I should be paying for or needing an engine after 20,000 miles. She said she would do some research and get back to me by Thursday at the latest.

In case anyone is wondering I also have a K&N pre-filter over the Mopar filter. This isn't a high performance product that voids or affects your warranty, this is a California legal CARB compliant upgrade. I've cleaned the filter every time the oil is changed and after dusty trips. I also cleaned it the day before JKX and when I got back.

Be careful if you are using this intake and make an educated decision if looking to buy one in the future. I'm pretty sure having your warranty denied wouldn't normally cross prospective buyers minds when using a street legal Mopar parts but right now I'm being told my warranty is no good. I will post the response from Chrysler when I get it. I'd like to be optimistic but with my luck I might have to pay for this out of pocket and then go to small claims court to recoup the costs from Chrysler.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1384330566.440168.jpg

RUBINOT

Caught the Bug
Good luck. Keep us posted, very interested to see how this turns out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JKbrick

Good luck, I hope Chrysler does the right thing, why can't they just put good performance parts on in the first place

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this up Russ. While we're not burning as much oil as you, we are killing about a quart every 1,000 miles. That seems a lot to me and well more that we had been seeing up until recently but, apparently well within what Chrysler deems to be, "acceptable". Like you, we have a CAI and I suspect that when things get worse, we won't be getting any love from the dealership. Please keep us all in the loop if for no other reason than to get an idea of how far we need to bend over.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
So does that mean you won't make corral canyon this weekend? :thinking:

Or will you have the hemi swap down by then?

Rccrwlr

Supposed to hear back today. Wish me luck lol.

So is this a call for a stock air filter re-swap? If that's even a word.:thinking:

Edit: good luck and let us now what happens. This is a common swap

______o__o
l l I ,[_____],
l--__- L -olllllllo-
()_)--o-()_)--o-)_)

1979 Jeep CJ5 - RCCRWLR
2008 Jeep JKUR - JK RED

ttfhell

So is this a call for a stock air filter re-swap? If that's even a word.:thinking:

Edit: good luck and let us now what happens. This is a common swap

______o__o
l l I ,[_____],
l--__- L -olllllllo-
()_)--o-()_)--o-)_)

1979 Jeep CJ5 - RCCRWLR
2008 Jeep JKUR - JK RED

Absolutely reswapping either way.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
good luck with it! it is a bunch of BS that they are not going to stand behind work that they did themselfs. hopefully they make it right and do the repair work

xtremefx4

I have a question about all these engines using oil?? Is it the 3.8L or 3.6L? I have a 2011 with 3.8L with 58560 mile and I have no oil issues at all? I here alot of people having problems with the motor using oil??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

ttfhell

I have a question about all these engines using oil?? Is it the 3.8L or 3.6L? I have a 2011 with 3.8L with 58560 mile and I have no oil issues at all? I here alot of people having problems with the motor using oil??

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

3.6 as far as what we've been talking about.

Top Bottom