Moony's 08 JKU Build Thread

MoonyJohn

Hey everyone! Joining the wayalife side! Im mainly on JF, but its just not my thing anymore. Been in love with JK's since they have been out, so I found a used 08 sahara with 18k miles this last February in 2013! Got lucky on the miles, so it was a good start. My main goal was to ease into things. Not to go beserk on the build right away, since it is my only vehicle at the moment. So, im enjoying every day with it and its my pride and joy, even my GF likes to buy things for it! So, heres my list I have of parts already in order

2.5" AEV Dual Sport XT Lift Kit
Bilstein 5150
Rock Krawler Front Adj. Track Bar
35/12.5/r15 KM2's
15x8 3.75" BS Level 8 Trackers
Bushwacker Flat Fender Flares w/ rear LED
Cobra 75 WRST
4' Firestik
Spiderweb Shade
Fire Extinguisher
B&M Aux Trans Cooler
ARB Air Compressor
Solid Diff Covers
Bestop Trektop (summer mode top)
10A Front Bumper
10A Rock Sliders
Warn W350F Fog Lights
(2) 10" Alpine Type R Subwoofers
1800w Kenwood Amp w/ Bass Control Knob
Yakima 42" Roof Track System
40" Yakima Fairing
AEV Geo Brackets
Dana 30 - C Gussets, Inner Sleeves, LCA Skids, Synergy Ball Joints
5.13 gears

Lots more planned, mainly snowboard season is coming up so a winch and some lights are going to be needed. I know for sure Im getting a 50" LED bar and some bigger driving lights for the front bumper for back roads to the barn and going up to the mountain in the mornings. Other than that, playing it by ear and what cathes my eye. Id like to get the underneath taken care of, like skids and driveshafts, but that will come with time. Anyways, heres some breif progress pictures.

First day home

Too clean..

Stuffed the 35's with no lift, just couldnt turn thats all..

Lift installed, took only about 6 hours!

Fender Flares, these will do for now until I can save up for some better ones

First time wheeling with the doors and the top off. What a blast!

Front axle off craiglist put in!

And now with the rack, ready for snow!

Look forward to being apart of the rear JK section.

Last edited:

MoonyJohn

Wow thanks guys! I feel you all are more informative over here :)

Some update, trading a guy on craigslist my 10A front bumper for his ARB stubby. It was the original bumper I wanted to get but I found a good deal on the 10A so this is perfect. I cant believe 250 for the winch plate and then 350 for the hoop bar. Outrageous. Could get a whole new bumper for that price. This way, its winch ready and I can mount my Warn 3.5" lights up there instead of the fog light location. Should be getting it this weekend.

MoonyJohn

Traded a guy my 10a for his ARB stubby. I didnt feel like paying 600 bucks for the hoop and winch mount so this was a cheaper route

Winch will show up eventually ;)

MoonyJohn

Picked up some Flood Ridgid Dually's for the front bumper today. Install was pretty easy. I got a rocker switch to mount in my daystar panel to match my ARB compressor switch. Problem I had though was the light on the switch is always on! I cant have that. I want it like any other switch where the light comes on when you turn it on. Any suggestions? I took the black wire out of the back of the switch (ground im assuming) so it doesnt light up at all. Still works, just doesnt come on when its supposed to.

Overall, happy! Light output is great, and its enough to not piss people off

At the "mall" Im actually at panda express

MoonyJohn

Weighed the Jeep on the way to the mountain last weekend. 4700 pounds! Though I dont have a winch, rear bumper, skids, or anything armor like that is heavy.

What better way to wait for the mountain to open up, than watching duck dynasty in the jeep?!

MoonyJohn

Well I loved the floods, so I added some Rigid Spot beams up on the windshield :)

Holy canoli these are bright! Too bright for how small they are, and these arent even D2's! Well worth the couple bucks for them. Im pondering a set of truck lites next..

MoonyJohn

Got a deal on craigslist the other day, ended up trading my rc car for a brand new smittybilt xrc8. It wasnt my winch of choice, but I have had one before and it worked pretty good. I was going to get a warn but this was cheaper. I still need to get a fairlead, going to get the warn hawse fairlead. Excited to get it used!

Also, it came with a cover that I would like to use. But the damn thing is hard to get on, unless its not and im being difficult? :rolleyes2:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
looks goo bro! since you have a steel line just look for a cheap roller fairlead on amazon.

MoonyJohn

Hey guys been a while, thought id update my progress! I added an ebay light bar, back bumper, and a new trektop nx. Not much, just been busy lately.

Looking to make my own control arms, not long arms just some adjustable ones. Ive learned how to weld recently so I think it would be a fun project! Looking at the ruff stuff upper mods. Has anyone used these before? Its only 100 bucks

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/JKUFL-KIT.html

Heres some up to date pictures and some memorial day wheeling pics

Lockers would be nice ;)

Thats it! Not sure whats next besides the control arms :)

Top Bottom