What control arms to add w/ AEV 3.5"

Rubiwho

Looking to add control arms to my AEV 3.5" lift. I'm looking at the Currie with Johnny Joints and the Rock Krawlers. Am I missing one I should consider? Steering towards the Currie... Any input? Also curious if the RK would even work with the Geo drop down brackets I'm running due to the angular high clearance design of the front lower arms.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, if you're going to run aftermarket adjustable control arms, I would remove your drop brackets. The brackets were just a cheap fix and will not be needed. Second, I would highly recommend the Currie arms as they utilize Johnny Joints on both ends of the arms.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I wouldn't do the rock krawler arms. I just had mine put on and I'm not 100% happy with them. I had to modify the rear lower arms so I could even drive my jeep. The track bar was shoved in between my rear passenger coil. I would go with the currie like Eddie said.

Sent from my iPhone

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I agree with Wayoflife on the Currie's. I have seen the Curries and the Johnny Joints are stout. The tubes are thick and seem durable. The JJ's are completely serviceable and if you're going to drop the coin on all 8 arms, it worth the extra $$$ to go with the Curries IMHO.

staud11

You can't go wrong with the currie/jj setup! Take a look at metal cloak, their duroflex joints look like a force to be reckoned with.

You can't go wrong with the currie/jj setup! Take a look at metal cloak, their duroflex joints look like a force to be reckoned with.

I have the metalcloak arms and they are great very beefy and the duraflex joints are great. I would highly recommend taking a look at them. Go metalcloak

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I don't own either, but I am impressed with the engineering of Metalcloak arms/joints. Might be worth a look.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
eh, Metalcloak has done a great job marketing their joints but let's be honest here, it's way too new to say for sure just how good they really are. I just did a joint test with EVO and I won't lie, they do have some promising qualities and some not so promising. What I can say for sure is that Johnny Joints are tested and proven to be the best out there and that's why Ultra4 racers use them on their rigs and not Metalcloak. Again, not saying they are bad, just too new to know for sure how they will hold up in the long run.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
eh, Metalcloak has done a great job marketing their joints but let's be honest here, it's way too new to say for sure just how good they really are. I just did a joint test with EVO and I won't lie, they do have some promising qualities and some not so promising. What I can say for sure is that Johnny Joints are tested and proven to be the best out there and that's why Ultra4 racers use them on their rigs and not Metalcloak. Again, not saying they are bad, just too new to know for sure how they will hold up in the long run.

Like I said above, I don't own either so I obviously can't give a real world example, but I can say that just by looking at their arms, they seem to have been actually engineered for the Jeep, not just made to fit like many other manufacturers do (and Im not talking only about offroad parts.) I have seen countless sports car coilover kits made to fit a vehicle, but not engineered for the vehicle. Things like this seem like they make a difference....

7105-CamparisonJointsAligned-Updated.jpg

I look forward to seeing your test results on the bushings. I saw that posted on ORE's facebook page, so I'd love to see the outcome.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said above, I don't own either so I obviously can't give a real world example, but I can say that just by looking at their arms, they seem to have been actually engineered for the Jeep, not just made to fit like many other manufacturers do (and Im not talking only about offroad parts.) I have seen countless sports car coilover kits made to fit a vehicle, but not engineered for the vehicle. Things like this seem like they make a difference....

7105-CamparisonJointsAligned-Updated.jpg

I look forward to seeing your test results on the bushings. I saw that posted on ORE's facebook page, so I'd love to see the outcome.

Isn't it funny how they don't include a Currie arm in their test? I wonder why? Like I said before, Metalcloak is a master at marketing and really, who could blame them for being good at it.

In a nutshell, they did provide a good amount of rotation and maybe a degree or two more than a johnny joint. However, it did require a measurable load to do it. Long story short, it could very well be a worthy competitor but, the jury is out as to how long they will last. I have about 60,000 miles on my Johnny Joints and they are still running strong. Johnny joints are tested and race proven and that is the reason why Ultra4 racers still choose to run them and not Metalcloak.

pastorwug

I'm missing something somewhere - Johnny Joints look like the same joints that Teraflex uses, appear to be the same components - even the rebuild kits look exactly the same - is the difference in the Urethane surrounding the ball centers?

bl17z90

I'm missing something somewhere - Johnny Joints look like the same joints that Teraflex uses, appear to be the same components - even the rebuild kits look exactly the same - is the difference in the Urethane surrounding the ball centers?

Different material i beleive.

Sent from my phone?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Isn't it funny how they don't include a Currie arm in their test? I wonder why? Like I said before, Metalcloak is a master at marketing and really, who could blame them for being good at it.

In a nutshell, they did provide a good amount of rotation and maybe a degree or two more than a johnny joint. However, it did require a measurable load to do it. Long story short, it could very well be a worthy competitor but, the jury is out as to how long they will last. I have about 60,000 miles on my Johnny Joints and they are still running strong. Johnny joints are tested and race proven and that is the reason why Ultra4 racers still choose to run them and not Metalcloak.

I don't disagree, just saying, you gave your Johnny joints 60K to prove themselves....I guess someone needs to bite the bullet and put metalcloak through their paces and see whats what. Having said that, do you think that Metalcloak is going after the currie customer? It seems like they are going after the major (by major I mean numbers, not quality) manufacturers. Hopefully you'll come across someone that's running the metalcloak arms and can check out how they do. I must say though, marketing or not, I think their shocks are pretty cool and a brilliant idea.

I don't disagree, just saying, you gave your Johnny joints 60K to prove themselves....I guess someone needs to bite the bullet and put metalcloak through their paces and see whats what. Having said that, do you think that Metalcloak is going after the currie customer? It seems like they are going after the major (by major I mean numbers, not quality) manufacturers. Hopefully you'll come across someone that's running the metalcloak arms and can check out how they do. I must say though, marketing or not, I think their shocks are pretty cool and a brilliant idea.

I run their arm and have about 10k miles on them and they are perfect. I no people that have over 50k on them and they are still going strong. Yes they are new but everyone that has put any metalcloak product on there jeep has been nothing but happy. + they have great customer service.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Currie has a patent on their joints. The TeraFlex and just about any other the other gold colored joints have subtle difference. Material used, angle of the shank and most importantly, quality control. The later is where TeraFlex misses the boat or, maybe I should say, has a problem because their joints come over on a boat. For whatever reason, I have personally had and see TeraFlex joints blow all the time.

I don't disagree, just saying, you gave your Johnny joints 60K to prove themselves....I guess someone needs to bite the bullet and put metalcloak through their paces and see whats what.

To be clear, 60,000 miles with coil overs that offer 14" of vertical travel. I'm not sure how many miles are on EVO 1 but they've been running the same Johnny Joints for over 3 years now and have been racing it in Ultra4 events. Mel and I were talking about how much of a beating they've taken and seem to work only better with time and punishment.

Having said that, do you think that Metalcloak is going after the currie customer? It seems like they are going after the major (by major I mean numbers, not quality) manufacturers.

Actually, I found it odd that rather then come up with something new and original, Metalcloak copied the Johnny Joint to the point where you can use it as a direct replacement in a Johnny Joint housing. Needless to say, this leaves the actually joint smaller by comparison and being that the rubber isn't bonded to a pressed in metal collar like a Clevite or greasable like a Johnny Joint, it's left to rub itself apart as it rotates inside of the joint housing.

Hopefully you'll come across someone that's running the metalcloak arms and can check out how they do.

Like I said, time will tell. From the tests we did, I'm not putting my money on them.

I must say though, marketing or not, I think their shocks are pretty cool and a brilliant idea.

:cheesy: Please, they just took two shocks and strapped them together. If I recall, a company called Ortech came out with something similar a few years before Metalcloak - they just sucked at marketing. What's even funnier is that EVO posted up a thread about it on FB a few weeks back and had so many people who had them talk about all the problems they had, the owner of Metalcloak was forced to come on pretending to be a regular Joe to defend them. For the money, I would still put mine on coil overs - I like proven technology, not gimmicks and good marketing. But, that's just me. :yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One last note, in case it was missed, the OP specifically said that he was "looking at the Currie with Johnny Joints and the Rock Krawlers". Unless I missed something, Metalcloak wasn't in his list of choices so, why not humor him and share your experiences with what he's looking at instead of trying to sell him on what you chose to buy. just saying...

staud11

One last note, in case it was missed, the OP specifically said that he was "looking at the Currie with Johnny Joints and the Rock Krawlers". Unless I missed something, Metalcloak wasn't in his list of choices so, why not humor him and share your experiences with what he's looking at instead of trying to sell him on what you chose to buy. just saying...

He asked if there are anymore he should consider :)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I run their arm and have about 10k miles on them and they are perfect. I no people that have over 50k on them and they are still going strong. Yes they are new but everyone that has put any metalcloak product on there jeep has been nothing but happy. + they have great customer service.

And that's good to hear. I would really like to know how they've been used, primarily as a daily driver or wheeled really hard with big flex on a regular basis. That would make a big difference. Again, based on the testing we did, I find it hard to believe they would survive for long with the later. Of course, I can't prove that yet and if I'm wrong, more power to Metalcloak. If what they have is really that much better than a Johnny Joint, I'm sure guys in the Ultra4 circuit will start running them in place of Johnny Joints.

He asked if there are anymore he should consider :)

You are correct, I did see that after I made my post. My apologies.

Having said that, I still would recommend Currie Arms over RK or Metalcloak. But, you can take my opinion for whatever it's worth.

Top Bottom