I'm so bummed out right now.

Canadian GP

I've always admired Jeeps as far back as CJ5 days when I was a kid, the bigger the better of course. Fast forward to last year my wife and I decided to research a new vehicle and the Jeep seemed to fit our needs perfectly, for me this was the time to go back to my childhood and start building one bada$$ed JKU at least in my mind. At the top of my list would be a lift and larger rims and tires. After doing some research on the subject I found out that modding a Jeep can lead to warranty issues and that's last thing I need right now with just 6000 miles on my Jeep. I called my local Jeep service manager he said they would not do warranty work on any Jeep with an aftermarket lift kit. However they would if the lift was from Mopar and installed by their dealership. I could have bought a Teraflex 2.5" lift with shocks for $600 on Black Friday, a similar Mopar lift in Canada would cost at least twice that if not more plus probably 8-9 hours labour at close to $100 an hour.

My son who is a GM tech has a friend who is a Chrysler tech and he says every dealership in Canada are flagging all vehicles that have been modded in any way including non stock tire sizes. Looks like my dream JKU will have to wait for 5 years until my drive train warranty has expired. :furious3:

seanb123

I've always admired Jeeps as far back as CJ5 days when I was a kid, the bigger the better of course. Fast forward to last year my wife and I decided to research a new vehicle and the Jeep seemed to fit our needs perfectly, for me this was the time to go back to my childhood and start building one bada$$ed JKU at least in my mind. At the top of my list would be a lift and larger rims and tires. After doing some research on the subject I found out that modding a Jeep can lead to warranty issues and that's last thing I need right now with just 6000 miles on my Jeep. I called my local Jeep service manager he said they would not do warranty work on any Jeep with an aftermarket lift kit. However they would if the lift was from Mopar and installed by their dealership. I could have bought a Teraflex 2.5" lift with shocks for $600 on Black Friday, a similar Mopar lift in Canada would cost at least twice that if not more plus probably 8-9 hours labour at close to $100 an hour.

My son who is a GM tech has a friend who is a Chrysler tech and he says every dealership in Canada are flagging all vehicles that have been modded in any way including non stock tire sizes. Looks like my dream JKU will have to wait for 5 years until my drive train warranty has expired. :furious3:

Now I know of lots of stories where people's jeeps were flagged eddies being one of the few who got unflagged (pretty sure) but the idea is that to not give warranty work they have to prove that the mod caused the failure if you can run that by them and maybe get that in writing you might be able to mod it but it's a stretch

Last edited:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
Yes they will flag your modded Jeep. Yes it is a pain. Yes you will lose your warranty. Yes you should do whatever mods your heart desires. Yes you will no longer have a warranty. Yes you will be happy you did. :yup:
Take it from the guy that spent $5K yesterday on a new transmission at 48k miles. :grayno:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Unfortunately, your warranty and whether or not it will be honored is ultimately in the hands of your dealership. In America, there are laws that are designed to prevent a dealership from voiding a warranty unless they can prove the part in question that needs replacing was in fact damaged due to an aftermarket part but, that never stops them from doing it anyway. Sure you can fight it but, it's an uphill battle and one that is very hard to win. How do I know? It's happened to me and I fought it and won. If you don't have anything like that in Canada, you will be at the mercy of your dealership.

Having said all that, I agree with mcpuck, you should do whatever mods your heart desires. No, you won't have a warranty anymore but, I think you will be happy that you did. Of course, if you have a 3.6L motor, it might be worth waiting a bit - there've been a lot of issues with it and getting it covered would save you a lot of money.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Unfortunately, your warranty and whether or not it will be honored is ultimately in the hands of your dealership. In America, there are laws that are designed to prevent a dealership from voiding a warranty unless they can prove the part in question that needs replacing was in fact damaged due to an aftermarket part but, that never stops them from doing it anyway. Sure you can fight it but, it's an uphill battle and one that is very hard to win. How do I know? It's happened to me and I fought it and won. If you don't have anything like that in Canada, you will be at the mercy of your dealership.

Having said all that, I agree with mcpuck, you should do whatever mods your heart desires. No, you won't have a warranty anymore but, I think you will be happy that you did. Of course, if you have a 3.6L motor, it might be worth waiting a bit - there've been a lot of issues with it and getting it covered would save you a lot of money.

Totally agree there! Mod it and enjoy it is how I feel. I have not modded heavily like some members...yet, but I will.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Guess Ive been lucky, My dealership has said nothing about my Jeep not being stock, and even gave me more free oil changes for the inconvieniance of being without it for a few hours while it had warranty work done to it. Of course, its not crazy modded either, but Ill be there soon enough!

TrailBear

What part of the great white north are ya in ? I got a slight lift and. 35's my dealer has been fine about it.

Top Bottom