How long should I wait

dahreno

Banned
I am having major work done on my Jeep in a good shop in town . They are making headway , but very slowly . What happens is they have alot of small jobs come in and to get them done , my Jeep gets put on the back burner. I have had the Jeep in the shop for over 8 months . I try to be a nice guy but , we know what happens to nice guys .I still don't want to get to angry and snap at them because #1 , I want them to finish , #2 , also want them to do a good job . Any one have any suggestions ? I do have it in me to snap and scream at them but , I don't think that will get me any where .What do you guys say ? Thanks for any input and I hope I have put this in the right area

quit staring

I am having major work done on my Jeep in a good shop in town . They are making headway , but very slowly . What happens is they have alot of small jobs come in and to get them done , my Jeep gets put on the back burner. I have had the Jeep in the shop for over 8 months . I try to be a nice guy but , we know what happens to nice guys .I still don't want to get to angry and snap at them because #1 , I want them to finish , #2 , also want them to do a good job . Any one have any suggestions ? I do have it in me to snap and scream at them but , I don't think that will get me any where .What do you guys say ? Thanks for any input and I hope I have put this in the right area

holy cow that's a while. my jeep is currently at a local shop as well. gears, drive shafts etc. it's been there for a week and should be done by next week. and they did call me and pretty much said we have other jobs coming in do you mind us having it for a little longer. I don't mind as long as its done right like you said. but 8 months?

JKFlyer

I'm not sure how you let it drag on for 8 months! Tell em 1 more week or you are reducing payment!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I would head in and ask how much longer the build will take, if they don't give you an answer or tell you it will be their "side job" I would tell them you will take it elsewhere. But you have to be willing to actually do that. Otherwise you are at their will and can't do much without making a fuss about it.

DELIVERANCE

One more month and you'll have a brand new bouncing baby Jeep.

IMO you've wait he'd seven months too long already…

***Mostly broke and kinda ugly. But at least I ain't got no friends!***

gtony12

Caught the Bug
I know when my jeep was in the shop being rebuilt after an accident I keep calling and saying I was going to stop by for pictures of the progress of build. It was in shop for over 3 months. They had a hard time getting parts for it. If you look at it. It's a 2012 with 2013 parts the hood has double sprayers but I am not complaining it's been running great. But 8 months for any build is to long. I personally would stop by when ever possible, my push them to finish......:)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dahreno

Banned
It's getting one tons , front axle is moving forward 5 inches . New rims and tires . Remove front leaves and install Off Road Design 4 link with hoops and coil overs .Install 700r4 , and Dana 300 after the removal of 4 speed and np208 . New drive shafts front + rear . PSC hydro assist and hydro brakes with swinging brake pedal .Rebuild the 14 bolt .Originally I also wanted them to install ARBs and skids with rocker protection but , now I just want to get it back and I'll have someone else finish that work .I really am in no hurry , I have another Jeep and It's snowing up here but I am anxious to get it back . Another thing I have mentioned to them several times is that I am concerned about the crappy ethinol (spelled wrong ) impreginated gas . It been in the tank for 8 to 9 months , how is that going to run by the time they are done ?Probably going to have to pay them to clean out the shellac , gas lines , carb. and possibly for a tune up ! I am also concerned about the brand new Optima red top that was just installed maybe a year ago , it hasn't been used for a long time . I know it is alot of work I am asking them to do and I know they are up to it as I have seen there work and Their work has been in many magazines . Right now the only thing left to do is to hook up the PSC (already installed )to the installed ported box , Run new brake lines and install the hydro boost brakes , install the front and back drive shafts and hanging pedal . The biggest problem is that everything is pretty much custom as the Jeep is a 1961 Willys wagon and nothing is just bought and bolted in . That being said , John Herrick , owner of Crawl magazine (Lives in my town )has had an ultra 4 race car built for KOH at Trent fab. (also in my town )in a shorter amount of time then my ol Willys is taking ! It is in the newest Crawl mag. dated Nov/Dec of 2013. I do go by the shop at least once a week , and I do have pictures of the progress and it looks amazing . but I am tired of waiting . Thanks for your input .

Last edited:

David1tontj

It sounds like all of the actual work is going well.. I would think that you need to give them a deadline... I would plan a trip, even though you should be flexible and have a backup plan, if you tell them you need it for a shakedown run or a planned trip on x/x/2013 they should be able to crank it out.... Most anyone will procrastinate, you just need to give them that deadline.. Make It seem like a big deal.. That way you can still be nice, yet get your rig

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

David1tontj

You know.... This would be a decent place to post one of those pics you've been taking... 😊

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
What kind of deal are they cutting you on labor? Have you paid them in full already? How much do you owe (percentage)?

If you have paid in full well there is your answer. If your getting a deal on labor there is your answer. If you still owe a lot there is your answer.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
That's a long time and I'd be very frustrated.

Having been born and raised here, I'm not sure I'd say I even trust any of the local shops. I've seen some really crappy work come out of the oldest shop in town that has been around for 25+ years, and I have also seen some crap from some of the newer, smaller shops.

Bottom line, your concerns are legitimate both in terms of the length of time they have had your vehicle and the effects of it sitting around. Did they give you an ETA for completion when you took it in?

Army_Vet

Banned
David and Adams replies make the most sense! I would be current on the bill; but then like David said, tell them you have planned a trip... You need it by such and such...

Good luck; sounds like it will be BA when done

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
What kind of deal are they cutting you on labor? Have you paid them in full already? How much do you owe (percentage)?

If you have paid in full well there is your answer. If your getting a deal on labor there is your answer. If you still owe a lot there is your answer.

This^^^^^^

Custom jobs take alot of time. Depends on what yall agreed upon in the first place. Did they give you any time estimate when you dropped it off? I know shops around here will backseat custom builds and the bolt-ons are in and out for cash flow the shop needs to stay in business.

dahreno

Banned
They have not cut me a deal on labor , yet ! I have been paying for parts and labor as the build has progressed . I have payed for everything up to this point . I did get an estimate before the job started and so far the billing has come pretty close to the estimate . One problem I see is instead of going by the estimate and billing me by the job , I am paying by the hour . I'm embarrased to tell you how much I have spent but I have had put aside for this and have not gone passed what I have expected to spend .If you want to talk time wise , I asked them once if it will done by my birthday . My birthday was last June ! I will post up some pics. as long as Overlander JK doesn't give me a hard time as he has in the past about posting pics. of my old wagon .

Last edited:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Did they give you a time frame to do the work before you originally dropped it off? Has the build changed significantly during the time that they have had it? Were a lot of parts special order?

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
If all that really is true just go get the jeep. Tell them your taking it somewhere else and have a tow truck go get it. They will either finish it or you'll have to find another shop.

Top Bottom