$175 to install an AEV snorkel?

jorgelrod

Hooked
I just ordered an AEV Snorkel for my jeep from my local Store I buy my Jeep stuff and they charged me $475 for the Snorkel which I think is fair considering it's getting shipped to Puerto Rico. I asked them how much it would cost to install since I don't have the tools to cut the fender and they told me $175, I find this a bit too expensive. Is this something simple enough that if I buy the tools and a bigger set of balls (I admit, cutting into the hood kinda makes me nervous), I should try to do it myself?? Comments and recommendations welcome...

Jorge

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
Try getting a quote from your shop for just the cut out on the hood. Pretty sure that should reduce the quote significantly and you can do the rest.

Devallee

Labor costs are usually around 90 an hour around here so about 2 hours of labor that seems about right. I would probably do it myself, however, if you don't have the proper tools I wouldn't take a chance since it is a permanent mod. I just looked up the install instructions and it doesn't seem very hard. It's just the initial cut that will scare you. Just take your jolly time and follow instructions and make sure you have the right tools and you should be fine :thumb:

pastorwug

I've done the install myself and it's not that difficult, probably good to start getting the tools anyways if you continue doing mods on your Jeep.
One suggestion:
Make sure you measure twice and cut once - use the template and make careful measurements.
I've cut holes in plenty of hoods for various mods in the past and the Jeep hood is fairly thin metal. Older Chevys and Pontiacs - that was some real metal!

I think if I didn't want to take the chance of messing things up I would definitely pay $175 for the install. Or as was suggested, pay to just have the hole cut - the rest is easy.

jorgelrod

Hooked
Thanks guys, talked to the owner and he told me that he'd be willing to take $40 off if I would let him use the jeep in his marketing pictures, so that worked out pretty good. Now to wait for the snorkel to get here and post pics later on the pics and vids area...

Top Bottom