The world of soccer moms and jeep haters - Hey, it's a jeep thing...

LittleD-Tj

Probably coming from a guy that drives nothing less than a $200K vehicle everyday and has recliners worth more than a JKU. Lol.

NAUJK

I really want to post a comment on that article and post a link to Moby at the grocery store and say that this is a Daily Driver and a Grocery Getter I dont see an issue here... :crazyeyes:

Some people are just not ment for it, and thats good we dont want those people in our midst...

Wow we bought ours because I needed a family car. And my family loves it. No complaints at all. And if it's not safe then why is it on the list of top 10 vehicles with the lowest insurance? Hmmmm thinking.

jeeeep

Hooked
the reviewer is new to her job 2011...in her own words from the blogs about us page:
"How I wound up in automotive journalism is something I still ask myself...."
as well as:
"First car: I learned to drive on a 1995 Ford Contour and helped my then-boyfriend, now-husband buy a 1999 Saturn SL2 in 2002 and a 2003 Hyundai Elantra."

there you go...she needs to learn how to be a journalist/reviewer...not just an English major...

but as I always tell anyone who asks why a Jeep??

I've owned a Jeep since 1974, I've owned sports cars, muscle cars, luxury cars, antiques, german cars etc... while they've all been fun and have their pluses - the Jeep is the only vehicle that I find myself smiling every time I'm in it and I can clean it up it looks great or muck it up - still looks great!

:beer:

Angry Aussie

but as I always tell anyone who asks why a Jeep??

I've owned a Jeep since 1974, I've owned sports cars, muscle cars, luxury cars, antiques, german cars etc... while they've all been fun and have their pluses - the Jeep is the only vehicle that I find myself smiling every time I'm in it and I can clean it up it looks great or muck it up - still looks great!

Well said bro. Your whole post was perfect. You summed it up beautifully.

CaliCrusher

That's a great article. It basically outlines why Jeeps aren't for shit heads. I can't wait to read the next article, "Why heavy metal is bad for your hearing."

SDG

Caught the Bug
the reviewer is new to her job 2011...in her own words from the blogs about us page:
"How I wound up in automotive journalism is something I still ask myself...."
as well as:
"First car: I learned to drive on a 1995 Ford Contour and helped my then-boyfriend, now-husband buy a 1999 Saturn SL2 in 2002 and a 2003 Hyundai Elantra."

there you go...she needs to learn how to be a journalist/reviewer...not just an English major...

:beer:

She needs to learn to stop buying shitty cars... A contour, followed by and saturn.... No wonder you are stuck writing for a shitty car blog... BAD LIFE CHOICES...

Sorry, I couldnt help myself...

I just love to read peoples comments on blogs, new stories... anything really.

This one put a smile on my face:

Kj
Apr 18, 2013 9:11:57 AM

I see so many great "unlimited" possibilities with this Jeep: unlimited lousy gas mileage, unlimited riding discomfort, paying unlimited monthly payments, unlimited looks from others thinking why would anyone drive such a vehicle in town, and of course an unlimited ego booster for the driver that is obviously needed due to low self-esteem. Oh yeah where can I get one of these so special unlimited Jeeps.

bl17z90

I have a hard time beleiving that 70% of JKU's are wheeled. About 60% of the Jeeps near me are JKU Sahara's with hard tops and aboslutly no modifications. Even in the best weather (80 degrees and sunny) I rarley see Jeeps with their hard tops removed. People are missing out on a lot of fun. :naw:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
I've heard Harley owners say it and I'm sure there are lots of Jeep owners who say it to, "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand.":twocents:

kaptkrappy

I have a hard time believing that 70% of JKU's are wheeled. About 60% of the Jeeps near me are JKU Sahara's with hard tops and absolutely no modifications. Even in the best weather (80 degrees and sunny) I rarely see Jeeps with their hard tops removed. People are missing out on a lot of fun. :naw:

^^^^
Ditto

If anyone would like to send Jennifer Geiger (the author and auto expert) a note, here is her page.

mgmavant

I always find it amazing when I see reviews like these that are so unbelievably biased. If you are looking for a car where you can get from point A to point B and that's all you really care about, then yes, this probably isn't the "car" for you.

It's kind of like saying that a Rolex is a crappy watch because it only does a decent job of telling time. Most people don't buy a Rolex because they want the most efficient timepiece; they are buying if for other reasons. Much like the Jeep – most people don’t buy it because it’s the most comfortable “car” they can get to haul the kids to soccer or to make a run to the store to pick up another gallon of milk. Yes, there are some people that will never use a Jeep like some of us here on Wayalife, and there’s even less people that go to the extreme that some folks do like Eddie and others, but that doesn’t mean that a Jeep is a bad choice for everyone.

In our family of five, we can get from point A to point B and we all seem to enjoy it very much. In fact, we almost always choose the Jeep over the Nissan Pathfinder because it is always more fun to get to point B – even if we stay on paved roads. We don’t have power windows, we don’t have power locks, there’s no built-in DVD theater in the back for the kids to be mesmerized by on the way to Grandma’s house (they actually have to talk to us while they are in the car). My youngest son is the smallest kid in the whole elementary school, but yet he LOVES to jump into the Jeep without help – and I’ve got a 4” lift and currently running 35” tires. My wife giggles every time she has to get in when she wears a skirt and high-heals, and she has to be a little careful when we take the doors off with said outfit – but you know what? It’s a blast and she loves every second of it (except the few seconds where there is a chance she might not actually make it into the seat – but she hasn’t missed yet ;-)!

My wife is a soccer mom – heck, she even coaches all three kids. She enjoys taking the Jeep to the mall to do some crawling there (she actually says that and the kids try to get her to run over a median or parking block just for fun so they can tell me they did some real mall-crawling). I took her rock-crawling once and she hated it – scared her to death and she no longer has any interest in doing that again, but she loves the occasional easy trail through the woods. The kids, however, do love it – the more rocks the better. They love getting out and watching other Jeeps and trucks go though the obstacles.

What the Jeep is first and foremost is a FAMILY vehicle, contrary to what Jennifer suggests. I would actually go as far as saying that it might possibly be one of the BEST family vehicles. I do all the maintenance and mods myself (except gears) and the kids always want to join in and help out where they can. They do this mostly by crawling all over the seats and the inside of the Jeep pretending they are off-roading and, on occasion, grabbing the wrong size wrench for me. It’s fun for all of us – yup, doing stuff as a family. Heck, we even venture out of the concert jungle and actually go camping every once in awhile – as a family.

For the majority of folks, a nicely equipped minivan is what best suits them – just an easy way to get around without any hassle. Their hair stays nice and neat, the kids aren’t fighting because they have the latest new-release DVD playing, it’s easy to get the kids strapped to the child seats because they can simply walk-in the back, there’s 29 cup holders to carry every size imaginable coffee mug and sippy cup, and, well, the neighbor has one, too, so it must be the right thing to do. For all those folks, they can have there crossover SUV minivan (CSUVMV).

But I do have to admit, the Jeep does make me smile every time I see it – even if it’s just sitting in the driveway, and yes, it’s WAY cooler than a CSUVMV (even if it has the sport package).

Jeepmed

These " Reviews" are almost all the same. I wonder if these reviewers ever drive the JKU? Its quieter then some sports cars and as far as famalies are concerned it seems people of all ages Love them.

Top Bottom