Trailer Hitch Drop

pastorwug

I just had my lift installed at ORE - LOVE IT!
Never thought a lift would provide such a great ride - 4" plush ride springs - the best!

Here's my question:
Now that I have the lift installed I have no idea how to measure for a trailer hitch drop.
I had a 7 1/2" drop before the lift and our little trailer was a bit hitch high when connected.

Am I right to assume that with a 4" lift I should be looking for a 12-13" drop hitch?

Don't want to buy one and then have to return it - can only seem to find these drop hitches online.

Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just had my lift installed at ORE - LOVE IT!
Never thought a lift would provide such a great ride - 4" plush ride springs - the best!

Here's my question:
Now that I have the lift installed I have no idea how to measure for a trailer hitch drop.
I had a 7 1/2" drop before the lift and our little trailer was a bit hitch high when connected.

Am I right to assume that with a 4" lift I should be looking for a 12-13" drop hitch?

Don't want to buy one and then have to return it - can only seem to find these drop hitches online.

Thanks!

no you should be good with the one you have. i only have a 1" drop for my jet ski and i have a 2.5" lift. it is perfect cause my ski sits level when trailering.

you dont want it to low either cause then that can cause to much tongue weight. with all the weight being forward.

suicideking

I bought an adjustable trailer hitch at an auto parts store. I also have the 4" Evo springs and it is perfect when it's on it's longest setting.

Pretty sure it's this one:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-utility-draw-bar/_/N-4abv?itemIdentifier=207474_0_0_

The best part is that I used to have trouble removing the trailer from the ball. With this, you can just undo the pin and move forward or backward a couple inches and it drops out. :thumb:

EDIT: Just saw you added you have 37's. I have 35's, so might need something longer.

pastorwug

I bought an adjustable trailer hitch at an auto parts store. I also have the 4" Evo springs and it is perfect when it's on it's longest setting.

Pretty sure it's this one:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Reese-Towpower-Adjustable-utility-draw-bar/_/N-4abv?itemIdentifier=207474_0_0_

The best part is that I used to have trouble removing the trailer from the ball. With this, you can just undo the pin and move forward or backward a couple inches and it drops out. :thumb:

EDIT: Just saw you added you have 37's. I have 35's, so might need something longer.

Thanks, I already have the 7 1/2 " drop hitch they sell, but I need something closer to 12-13 inches.
I guess it is too equipment specific to ask about.
I'll just measure the receiver on my Jeep to the tongue on my trailer

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

suicideking

Thanks, I already have the 7 1/2 " drop hitch they sell, but I need something closer to 12-13 inches.
I guess it is too equipment specific to ask about.
I'll just measure the receiver on my Jeep to the tongue on my trailer

Makes sense. Please post what you end up going with. I will eventually move up to 37's and need to be able to tow a tent trailer.

pastorwug

Makes sense. Please post what you end up going with. I will eventually move up to 37's and need to be able to tow a tent trailer.

Glad to, going to go measure at the trailer storage place right now

David1tontj

What you really need to do is lift your trailer!! 😉 I'm gonna be putting my trailer on 40s soon with an 8 lug axle so I can use the same tires from my jeep as spares.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

What you really need to do is lift your trailer!! 😉 I'm gonna be putting my trailer on 40s soon with an 8 lug axle so I can use the same tires from my jeep as spares.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

X2!!! Ever seen a Harbor Franken Trailer on 40's?
Hey, there ya go, Wuggie. If you oversee the welding of the axle, I'll just give you the 12" hitch I wont need anymore. What a deal!:D

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

suicideking

What you really need to do is lift your trailer!!  I'm gonna be putting my trailer on 40s soon with an 8 lug axle so I can use the same tires from my jeep as spares.

Good idea. Then when you go in for a rotation, you can do a 7 tire rotation. :cheesy:

I also have a more heavy duty drop hitch that I got at a Jeep garage sale. Made more for full size trucks, has like 7 or 8 settings. Looks like this, but longer:

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Andersen/AM3461.html?feed=npn&gclid=CL6HkPLBrrsCFfPm7AodPlEAgw

David1tontj

Good idea. Then when you go in for a rotation, you can do a 7 tire rotation. :cheesy:

I also have a more heavy duty drop hitch that I got at a Jeep garage sale. Made more for full size trucks, has like 7 or 8 settings. Looks like this, but longer:

http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Andersen/AM3461.html?feed=npn&gclid=CL6HkPLBrrsCFfPm7AodPlEAgw

Having the same bolt pattern and size on the trailer comes from my dad's idea.. He always wanted that because in a pinch, you have 4 spare tires (Jeep spare, trailer spare, and 2 from trailer) to get you to civilization.

jeeeep

Hooked
as mentioned u-haul. I have 3.5" lift empty it's a little high, loaded it's not bad at all...I think I got 8" drop from uhaul

suicideking

Having the same bolt pattern and size on the trailer comes from my dad's idea.. He always wanted that because in a pinch, you have 4 spare tires (Jeep spare, trailer spare, and 2 from trailer) to get you to civilization.

Yeah, that's a great idea. I just don't see many trailers on 40's.

kreynolds

Measuring is pretty simple. With the jeep level and on flat ground, measure from the ground to the bottom of the reciever. We'll call that number "A". With the trailer on level ground and set at the correct hieght, measure from the ground to the bottom of the tongue. Call that one "B". The difference between A and B is the amount of drop you need. I like the idea of running the same tires on the jeep and trailer, but you'll still probably need to figure for hitch drop.

pastorwug

Measuring is pretty simple. With the jeep level and on flat ground, measure from the ground to the bottom of the reciever. We'll call that number "A". With the trailer on level ground and set at the correct hieght, measure from the ground to the bottom of the tongue. Call that one "B". The difference between A and B is the amount of drop you need. I like the idea of running the same tires on the jeep and trailer, but you'll still probably need to figure for hitch drop.

That's a great plan. Hopefully going to measure that today

pastorwug

Set the trailer on level ground, measured and now I need an 18" drop hitch!
Shown is the 11" drop hitch I bought from a trailer company, they said 11" is the lowest that is DOT approved , still left my trailer pointing at the sky.
The hitch on my Burro trailer is very low, but the trailer is light, so hopefully when I get the 18" drop the leverage from a quick stop won't drive the hitch under the Jeep!

Top Bottom