CKMTA12 ARB Dual Air Compressor Air Flow

zeddjb

I know this had been discussed to death but I could use some input.

My Setup
With the dual ARB compressor(ckmta12), I mounted it in the rear of the JK ran 6 guage wire for both battery terminal connections because it wasn't long enough to reach the battery(used a power-block to make the connections).

My Question/Issue
As I understand it, this compressor is supposed be able to fill up tires and run air tools and such. I suspected for a while now that something was wrong with my setup or something. When I try to fill up a tire, I use an inline gauge and the pressure seems to equalize around 40psi~. I get a nice burst of pressure from the inline air pressure but once that is gone it hovers around 40psi~. Is this normal for this compressor? It seems to take an eternity to fill a tire and I have to give the compressor a break so it doesn't over heat. It seems to fill faster (not by much) if I use the pressure in the line, then let it build back up repeat. I have read all over on different forums that people can fill large tires (35") around a minute. I can probably fill one tire in about 6-8 minutes from 10psi to 35psi.

Also, I tried to run an air tool (a die grinder) just as a test today. Opened the line and nice burst of pressure from the line then basically nothing. I could easily grab and hold the die grinder head. Also I have a pressure gauge on the outside of the compressor and it just drops to 0 psi while holding the die grinder lever down.

Now I know it is highly recommended/needed to have an air tank to run tools so maybe that is partially the reason. Also, am I losing some power because my power wires are slightly longer runs; maybe too much resistance? I am no expert on air compressors so please go easy on me. :thinking:

I can get pictures of my set up if anyone needs them to help better assist me.

You guys are the best! :thumb:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I have mine mounted under the passenger seat. I don't have any issue so far and I have used it pretty heavily since I installed it in October. I can fill a 37" from 15 - 28 psi in about 90 seconds.

The compressors are supposed to be 100% duty cycle so you shouldn't be having problems with the heat they generate. I fill all 4 37s in about 6 minutes. I don't really let the compressors cool down much.

The supplied cables were able to reach the battery without having to be extended, straight from the compressor to the terminals on the battery.

You should measure the voltage coming into the compressor from the battery on the compressor side. You might be loosing power running through the power-block. That's where I'd look first as long as you know you don't have any leaks.

I haven't tried air tools but the instruction manual recommends using an air tank for best results. I'm not sure I understand how you have your gauge on the compressor/line but if the compressors aren't running at full power they won't output much air.

Hope that's helpful.

Last edited:

zeddjb

I just tested the voltage. Withe Jeep off and the compressor on I'm getting 11. 6 I know I don't have any air leaks.

I have a gauge with a pressure switch right off of the compressor. If I run the compressor the Guage drops to around 3-5 psi. Even if I run it without the pressure switch and gauge I get the same results.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

zeddjb

I think I just found the problem. The online fuse was tripped. Can barely see it but that's what it was. So only one compressor was working. These are weird ass fuses so I may cut them out and run my own.

I will update you guys when I get it done.

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
I think I just found the problem. The online fuse was tripped. Can barely see it but that's what it was. So only one compressor was working. These are weird ass fuses so I may cut them out and run my own.

I will update you guys when I get it done.

Glad to hear it was something simple! :thumb:

When they are both running there is a really neat (in my opinion) harmonic going on between the two compressors. Sounds cool. :D

zeddjb

Motor is Shot

Nope, I was wrong; one of the motors are dead and it must have been DoA because this is how it always ran ever since I bought it. It's over a year old but not two; I hope ARB will warranty it otherwise its going to become an expensive pile of scrap.

I have voltage going to all of the leads but the top motor isn't running; just the bottom one.:mad:

zeddjb

ARB Warrenty

I called ARB and they are going to warranty it. Getting it shipped to the factory in WA and then wait on it a few days then get it back. I'm really happy they are going to fix it for me. I'm kind of excited to see it work the way it is supposed to. :thumb:

I just wish I would have done it sooner is all. :icon_crazy:

I will update this thread in a week or so when I get it back.

Serg5000

I had this exact problem. Turns out ARB had a bad batch of motors hit the shelf before they could do anything about it. Something about the brushes being shorted out. Something like that. I also called and they were on it. Shipped me a new one. I sent the bad one back as well.

One tip I may suggest is have the motor running when using the compressor. I found it helps a lot.

Sc741

I called ARB and they are going to warranty it. Getting it shipped to the factory in WA and then wait on it a few days then get it back. I'm really happy they are going to fix it for me. I'm kind of excited to see it work the way it is supposed to. :thumb:

I just wish I would have done it sooner is all. :icon_crazy:

I will update this thread in a week or so when I get it back.

After reading this thread, I checked both of my pumps and one wasn't working either. Removed the air filters and one was sucking air and the other wasn't doing anything. Something that I haven't addressed for a long time. Called ARB and they are fixing the issue. Thermal fuse issue inside. It will be nice to have the compressor working properly!

I installed it and drove to Colorado and never trouble shot it considering it didn't work any better than the single ARB it replaced!

zeddjb

Installed and Happy

I just got the compressor back today; re-installed it and all that jazz and I must say that it is working much better. It still doesn't have the pressure I would like, but I put my tank on it and it works very well; I'm very happy with the results this time around.

I still have to test out how long it will take to fill up my tires and I will be doing that this Monday when I take my Jeep off road with some of my friends. That being said, I feel confident that I could run a die grinder, impact drill and some other air tools with the tank(I'm looking into possibly getting a larger tank to off set how much it drains). Right now the tank I have lets me fill it to around 95~100 PSI and the drain on it is moderate while using tools. That is too be expected though and like I said, I'm very happy with the results considering the size of the unit.

All in all, I'm happy that I called ARB and I'm happy they repaired it with no hassle. :thumb: I'm looking forward to getting lots of use out of it. I'll try and get some pictures and videos of before and after results put together and post them up in this thread in the next week or so.

Thanks everyone for your input. Much love to this community. :standing wave:

Sc741

Actually, I just received my parts from ARB a couple of days ago to fix my compressor. Interested to see how it will work now.

image-3159750868.jpg

Sc741

I could have sent it back to them but I asked if I could just do it myself and save on time and the cost of shipping. I've had this set up for a while and was just happy they sent the parts under warranty. All good by me! They recognized an issue and stood by and took care of it!

zeddjb

I could have sent it back to them but I asked if I could just do it myself and save on time and the cost of shipping. I've had this set up for a while and was just happy they sent the parts under warranty. All good by me! They recognized an issue and stood by and took care of it!

Right on!! I'm glad they are such an awesome company to stand behind their products and help their customers. I'm definitely going to be a repeat customer with them.

On a secondary note: When I run the compressor with my tank and the tank is at 95~ psi where it is set to shut off, the compressor flutters and turns on for a second and shuts off for a second and it keeps doing that. I don't want to damage the unit so I shut it off when it's not in heavy use where it can't fill up all the way.

It would sound like I have an air leak somewhere, however I can't find it. I re-taped all my fittings just to be sure and sprayed soapy water on them to try and find the leak and I can't find it. I took some pictures of the tank I'm using. I know it's not the best option and I'm looking for a new option.

This was a portable air tank that I basically converted into a normal tank...kind of...It's what I had lying around so I used it. Any thoughts on why I'm having this issue?

2013-12-28 19.20.01.jpg 2013-12-28 19.20.13.jpg 2013-12-28 19.21.04.jpg 2013-12-28 19.21.10.jpg 2013-12-28 19.21.32.jpg

Sc741

Most likely, you cracked the manifold. They are fragile. Partly why I don't use teflon tape and use pipe dope instead.

zeddjb

Most likely, you cracked the manifold. They are fragile. Partly why I don't use teflon tape and use pipe dope instead.

I could probably find a different manifold to put on there since this one is kinda crappy anyhow. I just need it to last me for another year or so.

Sc741

no, I mean where the brass fitting screws into the compressor manifolds. They have a tendency to crack if over tightened and teflon tape is used. On the compressor setup itself. you would have to take the cover off and spray soapy water over it. It will reveal itself pretty quickly.

zeddjb

no, I mean where the brass fitting screws into the compressor manifolds. They have a tendency to crack if over tightened and teflon tape is used. On the compressor setup itself.

Oh I see. If I don't use the tank, then there is no issue at all and it works just fine. I just get less reserve air pressure without the tank.

Top Bottom