Metal Cloak Tube Fenders and rock sliders

Armydog

Hello Fellow Jeepers!

I am considering purchasing MetalCloak tube fenders - the arched style and the rock sliders. I like the pros like increased wheel clearance without the need for excess lift - keeping a low center of gravity. I have seen a set of the high line (not arched) on a local jeep. They seem as strong and durable as advertised. The sliders integrate with the front fenders and rear corner guards... again seems like a solid system.

Anyone running these? Any experiences with the MetalCloak product line? They are pricey, but if they work and I love the look seems like it is they way to go...

Input?

Tango.

Army_Vet

Banned
Edit: Army Dog, 99% of armored fenders will damage the sheet metal underneath if smacked by a tree or a boulder. just know this if your intention is to not worry about damage if you smack something. The opinion around here for the most part is to trim factory ones so they rip off instead of damaging the body. Im sure more will chime in here soon and help you out

Last edited:

NatedTJ

I personally love the fenders and want the rest of the armor! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1387121490.056149.jpg

2.5" lift with 35s plenty of flex!

Armydog

Nice looking jeep! If you don't mind me asking... how long have you had the tubes? those are the arches, correct?

Armydog

Tango, 99% of armored fenders will damage the sheet metal underneath if smacked by a tree or a boulder. just know this if your intention is to not worry about damage if you smack something. The opinion around here for the most part is to trim factory ones so they rip off instead of damaging the body. Im sure more will chime in here soon and help you out

Mark,

What about the sliders? they claim that the resist the can-opener effect of twisting the rocker sheet metal thus ruining the tub... any opinion on which style/type/manufacturer offers the best protection for the rocker panels?

Tango Yankee
(Thank You)

Armydog

BBG

I'm selling my front pair and getting the over line ones I love them, but I like the overlines better.

Attachments

• 1387124709530.jpg
    1387124709530.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 544

BBG

I think the evo sliders are the best ones out there , that's gonna be my next buy.

Army_Vet

Banned
Mark,

What about the sliders? they claim that the resist the can-opener effect of twisting the rocker sheet metal thus ruining the tub... any opinion on which style/type/manufacturer offers the best protection for the rocker panels?

Tango Yankee
(Thank You)

Armydog

Sorry I missed your follow up; anyway, I have no experience with this company, so I cant say if their claim is true, as far as sliders I have only seen my buds with evo sliders grinding over the rocks. No damage to their rockers either. As far as the fenders I think they do look good, just wanted you to make an informed decision. I say if you want them to still get them.

My friends with flares have not hit any trees yet so I have not seen the damage first hand yet. I have seen plenty of pic's and vid's on here though.

Mark

ltdanlj

Edit: Army Dog, 99% of armored fenders will damage the sheet metal underneath if smacked by a tree or a boulder. just know this if your intention is to not worry about damage if you smack something. The opinion around here for the most part is to trim factory ones so they rip off instead of damaging the body. Im sure more will chime in here soon and help you out

While that is true for JK's, us TJ/YJ/CJ guys don't have that problem.... :rock:

To the OP, I run Metalcloak arched fenders, rear extended corners, and full rocker guards on my LJ... While the whole package with add some weight to the jeep, it feels much more solid (like when you close your doors), and they can definitely take a beating!!!

MC2003TJ

The tube fenders may look cool but they are not as forgiving when you rub up against big rocks and trees. The stock flares are pretty tough and don't damage the rest of the sheet metal. Rock sliders are a must. I looked all over at different types and ended up with the ones that 4xdoctor in Burbank ca. Makes. I ran the rubicon and the Dusy with them and no issues. All of sliders are very heavy. Aluminum would be nice.

badjrlj

Hey guys I have had the cloak fenders on my Lj for two years and love being able to run 35's on 2" lift suspension and 1" body lift. I remove the fenders when I run tight trails so the tires contact before the tubes rub.

NatedTJ

Nice looking jeep! If you don't mind me asking... how long have you had the tubes? those are the arches, correct?

They are the arched and only for a couple months but I can say I love them! Running 2.5 with 35s looks so good!

Army_Vet

Banned
While that is true for JK's, us TJ/YJ/CJ guys don't have that problem.... :rock:

To the OP, I run Metalcloak arched fenders, rear extended corners, and full rocker guards on my LJ... While the whole package with add some weight to the jeep, it feels much more solid (like when you close your doors), and they can definitely take a beating!!!

Yes I realized this too late :( my apologies

Armydog

Just got the metal cloak sliders in.... I'm not an engineer, but the construction and design seem solid. Gonna mount them up and test them out ( a little) IMHO they seem decent, the only issue so far is that the powder coat has a couple of blemishes/chips. Looks like shipping damage. Gonna contact cloak and see what they offer to do about that.... Not really a big deal, but the point should be made...

Side note, I will be selling the stock rubicon diamond plate rocker protectors that don't have a scratch.

I will post updates as I progress. ....

Yippee!

Armydog

Hey guys I have had the cloak fenders on my Lj for two years and love being able to run 35's on 2" lift suspension and 1" body lift. I remove the fenders when I run tight trails so the tires contact before the tubes rub.

Are you running the arched fenders? Think that's the way I'll go, looks a bit untraditional but I like them.....

Armydog

Do you have any pictures of the set up?

mtnbiker995

My buddy has the arched fenders on his 2005 TJ Rubicon and loves them. He has a 4" Zone lift and 35" KM2's.

Here is a picture of him:

Here is a link to more pics of his Jeep with them:

Curts Fenders

If I remember right, he is actually thinking about getting rid of them sometime soon and going with hi line fenders so that he can run 37's without changing his lift.

Top Bottom