2014 Grand Cherokee Limited off road expectations

CherokeeDave

I bought a new GC Limited, it is NOT trail rated, we just got 6 inches of snow, it was a wet and heavy snow, if the temp was colder I am sure it would of been a 10" + snow fall, but anyway, this GC just walks through it in the auto mode, like it was nothing as it should, but my question is " what kind of "safe" off roading should I expect to do with the GC? It is not trail rated like I said, and I do not have tow hooks, but I will add them ( if possible), but what would be safe off roading for me to do? My past Jeeps was Wranglers, and they was almost impossible to tear up lol

I guess I should add I have the Quadra Trac II 4WD system,

Last edited:

TrailBear

The only thing that will really limit you is tire size and ground clearance. You will want to make sure it has skids on your vitals underneath. I believe the trail hawk edition has tow hooks, skids and sliders, so you may be able to order them, I'm sure there will be some after market support as well.

CherokeeDave

The only thing that will really limit you is tire size and ground clearance. You will want to make sure it has skids on your vitals underneath. I believe the trail hawk edition has tow hooks, skids and sliders, so you may be able to order them, I'm sure there will be some after market support as well.

Yeah I only have 18" tires and I do not have the off road suspension, but doesn't all Jeeps come with all the skid plates?

TrailBear

Yeah I only have 18" tires and I do not have the off road suspension, but doesn't all Jeeps come with all the skid plates?

Some do but not all, they get slightly better economy with less weight so some models are without. I just did a quick google search, you should have skids, and if not mopar does have them, they also sell a set of rock sliders, rocky ridge outfitters has a set but they only go up to 2012 so not sure if those would still fit the newer style, but they may be working on something.

Last edited:
just like any stock rig, make sure you have the basics on there. skid plates, tow points front and rear, some good tires, and have fun. only way to find out how well it does for the type of wheeling you do, is go for it!

dubdub07

As you can see in my pic, I off road with my JKUR. My wife drives a 2014 Grand Overland. I would say I "could" take it off road, but unless my Wrangler is dead and I had to go off road, my Grand would work in a pinch. What size wheels and tires do you have? The 20's look nice but are not really for off road. The Trail Rated Grand is a Grand with 18" off road wheels and tires with skid plates. Some come with Quadra-Drive II, but the Quadra-Trac II is the same transfer case. Quadra-Drive II has a limited slip diff front and rear. If you don't mind tearing things up, the Grand is very, very capable off road.

Also, off road in Illinois I am guessing is a little different than what I envision. Here, I can find things that my JKUR won't handle much less my Grand.

On edit, my Grand has the air suspension as well, so I can get almost 4" more in clearance making it even more capable. But I don't know if I could....

ww

dubdub07

I think the Summit is the no holds barred top o' the line expensive as hell model. I think the TrailHawk as a model package was done away with in favor of the off-road I and II packages that are available on all trim levels.

DKronk42

I wheeled a 97 zj for years before i got my jk, i loved it, and from what ive seen of the newer Grand Cherokees, they are quite capable. I agree about the skids and sliders though!

Jeep-addiction

There are still 2013 GC Trailhawks out there sitting on dealers lots. My wife drives a 2013 GC Overland but I begged her to get the Trailhawk but you couldn't get the Adaptive cruise on that trim level. We did put some larger tires on hers though. 275/55/20 toyo at 2's look great!!

1BAMFR

I saw one on the trails, he had the air suspension all the way up.
20131026_115527_zps9f9b26ff.jpg

Here's the pics of him....

robthebuilderer

To answer your question...with quadra-lift and the abs modulating traction control you'll be surprised at what this vehicle can do...even on 3 wheels. We (lightly) wheeled ours a few times before making some changes.

We now have a (heavily) modified version...#whiterhino is more similar to the Trailhawk II concept jeep did a few years ago...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1473518568.014829.jpg

We have a build thread on WAL and we're on Instagram @robthebuilderer if you're interested or have questions let me know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom