Thoughts after going wheeling.

OsiViper

Well have been wheeling this last Saturday and Sunday. It was my first time wheeling, and there is some thoughts I had.

It's impressive what a stock Rubicon can climb.... Even more so a lifted one that I was with. Holy crap. Videos don't do what they can climb any justice.

I really wanna mod my lockers. Sometimes when I'm in 4 high its a lot of work to get in 4 low just to put the lockers on for a couple of seconds.

And finally. Wheeling is freaking addicting. I wanna go out more!

1BAMFR

Offroading becomes very addictive! The thing that blows my mind is you can beat on the Jeep all day long....then air the tires up...put it in 2wd...and roll 70mph down the highway to go home.

4hi with lockers....are you mudding?

OsiViper

I haven't even aired down yet. And some of the stuff i can climb is insane. Getting some staun deflators soon but no way to refill tires after except at home.

OsiViper

And no. Wasn't mudding. But the trails I've been doing go from rock climbing to flat for 1/4 miles to more rock climbing.

And have just been climbing them in 4 hi unless I need lockers.

1BAMFR

I haven't even aired down yet. And some of the stuff i can climb is insane. Getting some staun deflators soon but no way to refill tires after except at home.

I use the Staun deflators too...they work great.

There are a lot of different options on airing your tires back up but I find the Powertank is the easiest. I keep a 20# bottle in my cargo area.

OsiViper

Only ever got 1 video of going up an obstacle. Wasnt too hard of a one either, but it was the first one I climbed on Saturday. It only got bigger from there..
Started climbing stuff that was taller than the hood.. All I can say is thank god for skid plates. And I definitely need some beefed up Diff covers.

dhughes

Banned
He wants to run them in 4 high. I think he said that on the first post. Well thats what I got from it. If it was me I would just use 4 low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Moochie

I rarely use lockers and only on the most demanding of obstacles. I've never had the need to use them in 4 high.

OsiViper

Perhaps bypass the locker with a switch so you can lock up in 4hi AND 4lo?

That. I've seen it done on older ones up to 2012. Not sure if it can be done on a 2013-2014 though.

And 4 low wouldnt be so bad but I don't think I've mastered the art of shifting in and out of it yet. Every time I try, I end up fighting with the damn thing for at least a minute.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
That. I've seen it done on older ones up to 2012. Not sure if it can be done on a 2013-2014 though.

And 4 low wouldnt be so bad but I don't think I've mastered the art of shifting in and out of it yet. Every time I try, I end up fighting with the damn thing for at least a minute.

It's pretty easy. If your moving at about 1mph it slides right in.

OsiViper

Yea, but by the time I realize I need lockers, I'm half way up a hill in 4hi.. and it makes it extremely difficult to shift to 4low on a hill without backing down onto a level surface.

bl17z90

Yea, but by the time I realize I need lockers, I'm half way up a hill in 4hi.. and it makes it extremely difficult to shift to 4low on a hill without backing down onto a level surface.

You actually should stay in 4lo for most crawls. I spend almost all day in 4lo when i go out.

Sent from my phone?

Evilidea

I only use 4hi on highways in the ice/snow and when I'm skinny pedal heavy on snowy back roads. I would say IMHO as soon as you start crawling or climbing or wedging yourself into crevices put it in 4lo and stay there. Then eye your obstacle and decide if you should lock up or not before hitting it. In my 2012 I have had no issues locking up in the middle of obstacles but I usually will lock it if I think I might need it beforehand. That's just my way though not trying to tell anyone how to drive as I am by far no expert, (Just ask my 3 previous Jeeps how many times I broke em and it was likely my fault).

NMBruce

I also was surprised what my stock Rubicon could do, are you wheeling the Choke Cherry Canyon? have done it, just heard about it.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
You actually should stay in 4lo for most crawls. I spend almost all day in 4lo when i go out.

Sent from my phone?

x2 on this for me, just about the whole day I stay in 4lo even on the flat parts between trails like we have.

OsiViper

I also was surprised what my stock Rubicon could do, are you wheeling the Choke Cherry Canyon? have done it, just heard about it.

Yea, Glade Run/Choke Cherry Canyon are one in the same. Went exploring on some of the trails there. Was a blast.
So far on the trails I've tried, my only limiting factor is my Breakover Angle. And my departure angle could use help, but hasn't stopped me from running any obstacles, my trailer hitch is nice and scraped up though..

Does anyone know if you can flip the electronic disconnect for swaybar on a 2014? I looked at videos for older models and it seemed like there was more room. The 14 looks like it has a bigger radiator and there's no room to flip it.

Last edited:

Tackerdown

Banned
i'm no pro but what kind of wheeling do you guys do that you need to lock so much. as for the 4 w low i usually stop put it in N and slap it in quick with no prob. i've tried it while moving and it seemed to want to grind. :idontknow:

Top Bottom