Replacing radiator

Devallee

I overheated and when the hose blew off, it took the little lip that holds the radiator hose with it and the hose has popped off twice since so I'm looking at replacing the radiator. Shops want over 200 for labor so I'm wondering if I can keep a few bucks in my pocket and do it myself. Has anybody had to replace their radiator in their jk or know how easy or difficult it is? Or is the 200+ worth it for a shop to do it?

redpatchjeff

I haven't, but I would assume it's just as easy as any other radiator.

drain coolant.
pull radiator.
replace radiator.
add coolant.
burp system.

sound right to anyone?

Devallee

Anybody have any recommendations on a radiator brand to look for? I know absolutely nothing about radiators so any recommendations would be helpful

Devallee

Griffin is the cream of the crop.

Well maybe I should have specified...something in the maybe $300 range haha the griffin would hurt a little more than I would like. I just need something like an OE replacement. I'm just not sure what brands are better than others or if there's even a difference at all between brands but I just wanna know what to stay away from and what will get the job done for a fair price

mtnbiker995

I've replaced mine but under different circumstances...click my build thread link in my signature and you'll see what I mean

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, I might give crown a look as they typically have good OE replacement parts for less. In the past, I have used Radiator Barn for radiators on my other Jeeps with good results as well. Having said that, yeah, Griffin is about as good as they come.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
Just get an oem rad for as cheap as possible. I'm on my 4th rad, yeah 4th. My last one was a full aluminimun cfm and only lasted a year befor springing a leak. I'd rather replace oe $115 every couple years than spend $300plus and have the POS not last longer than a stocker.

Top Bottom